• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 'Christian'.

Sonny

Um.....no. Just no.
The Mayflower Compact and the Robert Aiken Bible are 2 proofs that America was meant to be Christian. There are more but I'll need to sort thru some files to find. And, Yes! America was founded as a Christian nation. Do you have proof it wasn't?

Sonny

The Bible is all inspired by God. The BOM isn't.
Yes, on both. The saddest part to me is that so many are so in to it that they refuse to even consider the possibility that it isn't. Though it was given, supposedly, by an 'all-knowing' God then changed thousands of times they don't seem to see or care about that glaring impossibility.
I have many BoMs. I have an 1830 reprint (printed by LDS church in 1980), a 1920 and a 1980. I have compared them. One verse is in 1830, half of it was removed (removing God's word?) in 1920 but put back completely in 1980, 60 years after it was removed by mere mortals. The LDS god said he would "quickly sweep" any leaders off the earth if the lead, or tried to, his church astray. Well, why didn't he do that then in 1920 & 1980?

Orontes

Master of the Horse
My sole purpose in starting this Thread is to openly, honestly and in a civil manner discuss whether the LDS church fits the criteria of a Christian church.

Hello,

I've read through this thread. The original post asks whether the LDS Church fits the criteria of a Christian Church. The vast bulk of your subsequent posts decry statements or notions from various Mormons. Brigham Young seems your favorite target. This means the thrust of the sea of postings commits a category mistake and as such can be dismissed. I will explain

The initial post is concerned with an identity question: is Mormonism X or -X.

Posts that decry various Mormons for statements or assertions only have merit when applied to an established right view. This means such condemnations are concerned with fidelity, not identity.
Were the host of charges put forward successful, the best they can accomplish is Mormons are heretics. They do not speak to identity proper.

Your position rests on a category mistake. It is also boorish as your many posts fail to distinguish between what is doctrinal and what is not.

silvermoon383

The Mayflower Compact and the Robert Aiken Bible are 2 proofs that America was meant to be Christian. There are more but I'll need to sort thru some files to find. And, Yes! America was founded as a Christian nation. Do you have proof it wasn't?
Well lets see, there's a specific part of the Constitution that specifically forbids the government from choosing one religion over another, there's the fact that many of the founders were Deist...

Then there's the entire history of totally un-Christian behavior. If the US was supposed to be Christian it's done a **** poor job of it.

omega2xx

Yes, on both. The saddest part to me is that so many are so in to it that they refuse to even consider the possibility that it isn't. Though it was given, supposedly, by an 'all-knowing' God then changed thousands of times they don't seem to see or care about that glaring impossibility.
I have many BoMs. I have an 1830 reprint (printed by LDS church in 1980), a 1920 and a 1980. I have compared them. One verse is in 1830, half of it was removed (removing God's word?) in 1920 but put back completely in 1980, 60 years after it was removed by mere mortals. The LDS god said he would "quickly sweep" any leaders off the earth if the lead, or tried to, his church astray. Well, why didn't he do that then in 1920 & 1980?

The saddest thins is that we con point to direct contradiction between the Bib e and the BOM and they still refuse to reject the BOM. It is illogical to use 2 books that have contradictory statements for your theology.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It is a great book- for life, our individual lives, society, world peace and more. What other books of religion do you think has the same to offer?
All of them have meaning to their adherents.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The Holy Bible.
So which one of the 30,000 plus paths all based on the Bible is the "One True Christian Way"?

See, the problem here, the one you seem unable to understand, is that you are showing nothing more than how Mormon beliefs differ from your beliefs.
Of course, you are also flat out lying about them, but that aside, you have not shown how they are wrong.
You have merely gone on and on about how their beliefs differ from yours.

The biggest difference, from what I have seen in this thread, is that you have let your ego arrogantly declare that they are wrong when you have not been able to show they are wrong.
All you have done is shown the differences in beliefs.

So no, "The Holy Bible" is nothing more than an uber generic cop out on your part.

McBell

The onus is on you to prove your claim.

McBell

BOLD EMPTY CLAIM
BOLE EMPTY CLAIM
I completely agree.
You have nothing but bold empty claims.
Thank you for acknowledging that fact.

Now perhaps your contributions to the discussion can move forward?

McBell

The saddest thins is that we con point to direct contradiction between the Bib e and the BOM and they still refuse to reject the BOM.
No sadder than pointing out the contradictions between the OT and the NT...

It is illogical to use 2 books that have contradictory statements for your theology.
rotflmao
Bible
rotflmao

OMG!
I think I peed a little laughing so hard!
your hypocrisy is off the charts....

McBell

The saddest thing is the skeptics saying there are contradiction, but can't show where they are..
what a load of bull ****.
There are countless threads where they are pointed out just to have the believers dismiss and or flat out ignore them.
Thus making you an uber hypocrite, for you do the exact thing you claim the Mormons do, only you do so while claiming some imaginary higher moral ground.

omega2xx

what a load of bull ****.
There are countless threads where they are pointed out just to have the believers dismiss and or flat out ignore them.
Thus making you an uber hypocrite, for you do the exact thing you claim the Mormons do, only you do so while claiming some imaginary higher moral ground.

The load of bull is coming from you. I have explained all the so called contradiction sent my way. If you think you have some, post them and I will explain them to you. So unless you can show I have not, guess who is the uber hypocrite.

I admit I am still a sinner, so how is that claiming a higher moral ground. It seems that is what you do. Are you a sinner?

McBell

The load of bull is coming from you. I have explained all the so called contradiction sent my way. If you think you have some, post them and I will explain them to you. So unless you can show I have not, guess who is the uber hypocrite.
No need to pollute this thread with that denial.
It has been beaten to death on this forum already.
Pick one of the already available threads.
I doubt you have anything new to add to them....

I admit I am still a sinner, so how is that claiming a higher moral ground. It seems that is what you do. Are you a sinner?
I claim no moral grounds at all.

Since sinning is merely going against the will/wishes of your chosen deity AND I do not have a chosen deity, no, I do not sin.

If you want to pursue this particular "do people sin" tangent further, you will have to make a thread for it.

Clear

Premium Member
I started out reading the thread but quickly lost interest.

1) The thread was never a real demonstration of whether Mormons are Christians. It is a demonstration of characteristics of the psychology that assumes another point of view is invalid.

The O.P. asks a simple question and then morphs quickly into irrelevance and complaints that have nothing to do with belief in Jesus the OP wonders about. It simply devolves into another rant of one Christian against another type of Christianity that becomes irrelevant to the question of the OP.

2) Multiple readers tried to inject rationale and logic and reason into the thread.
For examples :
Early on, Terrywoodenpic said : “However they are also more Christian, than those that deny them.”

Nietzsche
pointed out : " No, no. Your personal Christianity is radically different from Mormonism. You do not and cannot speak for all other Christians, so stop pretending like you do” #388

Kirran observed : "...I don't think any Christian has the right to tell someone else they're not Christian when they understand themselves to be so.” #15

The characteristic pattern of rant and complaint by sonny and other anti-christian Christians (Christians who inappropriately criticize other Christians) still continues and multiple readers are still trying to inject reason and logic and relevance into the thread.

Orontes said : “ Your position rests on a category mistake. It is also boorish as your many posts fail to distinguish between what is doctrinal and what is not. “ #423

Metis pointed out regarding simplicity of belief : “It actually is: John 3:16

Mestemia pointed out : “See, the problem here, the one you seem unable to understand, is that you are showing nothing more than how Mormon beliefs differ from your beliefs.
Of course, you are also flat out lying about them, but that aside, you have not shown how they are wrong. You have merely gone on and on about how their beliefs differ from yours.
” #429

The problem with the psychology that disdainS and devalues other points of views other than its own is that it does not respond to rationale and logic and reason. It only sees it's point of view. The thread was never an example of religious phenomenon, it was a psychological discussion demonstrating a psychological phenomenon.

3) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) are Christians.

When I was a young child, I was a Methodist and I believed in the existence of a God and I believed in Jesus as my savior and I wanted to do what Jesus wanted me to do.
I was a Christian.

When I was a teenager, friends brought me into Baptist theology I still believed in the existence of a God and I believed in Jesus as my savior and I wanted to do what Jesus wanted me to do.
I was a Christian.
I did not give up being a Christian in becoming a Baptist.

As I became an adult, I came to discover and believe in Restorational Theology and I still believed in the existence of a God and I believe in Jesus as my savior and I want to do what Jesus wants me to do.
I am still a Christian. I did not give up being a Christian in discovering christian history in restorational theology.

The belief in early historical Christian theology simply meant that I have even more reasons to honor Jesus for what he did and is doing. Historical knowledge does not negate belief in Jesus, but instead, it deepens it.

An example of how historical awareness depends appreciation in Jesus can be shown by an accurate discussion of a restoration of early beliefs. Whether this knowledge is restored through historical study or by restorational theology doesn't matter, it is the increase in knowledge that I am speaking to.

Take the single ancient Judeo-Christian doctrine of pre-existence.

Though I have, as long as I can remember, believed Jesus was my savior in some way, I did not always have an understanding nor a deep appreciation of all that Jesus did for us before the world was even created. Discovery of such knowledge does not make one less Christian, but enhances their appreciation of him.

In ancient Judeo-Christianity, Jesus volunteered and was chosen to be the redeemer for mankind. Once I became aware of these historical beliefs of early Christianity, it added new dimensions and depth to my knowledge and beliefs and appreciation and honor for Jesus and what Jesus did for mankind.

Before becoming historically aware of early Christian worldviews, I did not know the role Jesus played in the war in heaven and in overcoming Lucifer and his colleagues. After historical awareness, I am able to be grateful and honor him for what I believe he did in this regards.

With greater historical awareness I became aware of what it meant for him to be chosen as the greatest servant of his Father and to be given authority and to possess the characteristics that allow him to wield authority and judgment righteously.

With greater historical awareness I have come to appreciate his role as “the word” of God and his great cosmic role of morally educating mankind so as to prepare them to ultimately live in a social heaven in harmony and joy forever.

The specific role he plays as a redeemer in the superlative atonement he wrought by his great sacrifice of his time and talents throughout his life which culminated in his giving up of his life for us was always a central belief and focus I possessed. Though it was the great, central accomplishment, it was only one aspect of what Jesus accomplished.

Gaining the historical knowledge of Jesus’ descent into Hades to free the patriarchs and others who had died from hades and bringing them forth into the resurrection with him and this great fulfillment of the hope of the religious through all prior generations was a superlative accomplishment.

The historical concept that Jesus becomes the heir of a glorious kingdom to which all mankind may belong and awareness of characteristics which justify his worthiness to become the rightful heir of such a kingdom bestows it’s own degree of honor upon Jesus in my eyes.

These historical discoveries of restorational theology did not disqualify me from being a Christian. If anything, knowledge of Historical Christianity provides data and logic and rationale behind my beliefs in Jesus and justification for the deep honor and profound love and gratitude I feel forJesus. I am a Christian, through and through. I've always been a Christian. I am also a mormon.

Clear
δρτωτωσεω

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I started out reading the thread but quickly lost interest.

1) The thread was never a real demonstration of whether Mormons are Christians. It is a demonstration of characteristics of the psychology that assuming that assumes another point of view is invalid.

The O.P. asks a simple question and then morphs quickly into irrelevance and complaints that have nothing to do with belief in Jesus the OP wonders about. It simply devolves into another rant of one Christian against another type of Christianity that becomes irrelevant to the question of the OP.

2) Multiple readers tried to inject rationale and logic and reason into the thread.
For examples :
Early on, Terrywoodenpic said : “However they are also more Christian, than those that deny them.”

Nietzsche
pointed out : " No, no. Your personal Christianity is radically different from Mormonism. You do not and cannot speak for all other Christians, so stop pretending like you do” #388

Kirran observed : "...I don't think any Christian has the right to tell someone else they're not Christian when they understand themselves to be so.” #15

The characteristic pattern of rant and complaint by sonny and other anti-christian Christians (Christians who inappropriately criticize other Christians) still continues and multiple readers are still trying to inject reason and logic and relevance into the thread.

Orontes said : “ Your position rests on a category mistake. It is also boorish as your many posts fail to distinguish between what is doctrinal and what is not. “ #423

Metis pointed out regarding simplicity of belief : “It actually is: John 3:16

Mestemia pointed out : “See, the problem here, the one you seem unable to understand, is that you are showing nothing more than how Mormon beliefs differ from your beliefs.
Of course, you are also flat out lying about them, but that aside, you have not shown how they are wrong. You have merely gone on and on about how their beliefs differ from yours.
” #429

The problem with the psychology that cannot see that other point of views other that ones own is that it does not respond to rationale and logic and reason. It only sees it's point of view. The thread was never an example of religious phenomenon, it was a psychological discussion demonstrating a psychological phenomenon.

3) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) are Christians.

When I was a young child, I was a Methodist and I believed in the existence of a God and I believed in Jesus as my savior and I wanted to do what Jesus wanted me to do.
I was a Christian.

When I was a teenager, friends brought me into Baptist theology I still believed in the existence of a God and I believed in Jesus as my savior and I wanted to do what Jesus wanted me to do.
I was a Christian.
I did not give up being a Christian in becoming a Baptist.

As I became an adult, I came to discover and believe in Restorational Theology and I still believed in the existence of a God and I believe in Jesus as my savior and I want to do what Jesus wants me to do.
I am still a Christian. I did not give up being a Christian in discovering christian history in restorational theology.

The belief in early historical Christian theology simply meant that I have even more reasons to honor Jesus for what he did and is doing. Historical knowledge does not negate belief in Jesus, but instead, it deepens it.

An example of how historical awareness depends appreciation in Jesus can be shown by discussing a restoration of early beliefs. Whether this knowledge is restored through historical study or by restorational theology doesn't matter, it is the increase in knowledge that I am speaking to.

Take the single ancient Judeo-Christian doctrine of pre-existence.

Though I have, as long as I can remember, believed Jesus was my savior in some way, I did not always have an understanding nor a deep appreciation of all what Jesus did for us before the world was even created. In ancient Judeo-Christianity, he volunteered and was chosen to be the redeemer for mankind. Once I became aware of these historical beliefs of early Christianity, it added new dimensions and depth to my knowledge and beliefs and appreciation and honor for Jesus and what Jesus did for mankind.

Before becoming historically aware of early Christian worldviews, I did not know the role Jesus played in the war in heaven and in overcoming Lucifer and his colleagues. After historical awareness, I am able to be grateful and honor him for what I believe he did in this regards.

With greater historical awareness I became aware of what it meant for him to be chosen as the greatest servant of his Father and to be given authority and to possess the characteristics that allow him to wield authority and judgment righteously.

With greater historical awareness I have come to appreciate his role as “the word” of God and his great cosmic role of morally educating mankind so as to prepare them to ultimately live in a social heaven in harmony and joy forever.

The specific role he plays as a redeemer in the superlative atonement he wrought by his great sacrifice of his time and talents throughout his life which culminated in his giving up of his life for us was always a central belief and focus I possessed. Though it was the great, central accomplishment, it was only one aspect of what Jesus accomplished.

Gaining the historical knowledge of Jesus’ descent into Hades to free the patriarchs and others who had died from hades and bringing them forth into the resurrection with him and this great fulfillment of the hope of the religious through all prior generations was a superlative accomplishment.

The historical concept that Jesus becomes the heir of a glorious kingdom to which all mankind may belong and awareness of characteristics which justify his worthiness to become the rightful heir of such a kingdom bestows it’s own degree of honor upon Jesus in my eyes.

These historical discoveries of restorational theology did not disqualify me from being a Christian. If anything, knowledge of Historical Christianity provides data and logic and rationale behind my beliefs in Jesus and justification for the deep honor and profound love and gratitude I feel forJesus. I am a Christian, through and through. I've always been a Christian. I am also a mormon.

Clear
δρτωτωσεω

Cant really argue with that..... there is nothing stopping anyone being both Christian and Mormon. In the same way a rock can be part of a house or a temple.

I too tend to becoming a Restorationist, in the sense that The Didache has shown me a very early form of Christianity, before it became a religion directed toward Jesus, rather than about how Jesus taught us to worship God. At most they believed that Jesus was the Son of God.
It leads to a far more simple faith, akin to Christian Unitarianism.
However I worship as an Anglican.

If you ever find the time, It would be worth reading Aaron Milivec's book on the Didache... It gives a very clear picture of how and what the Mid first century converts to Christianity were taught. There is nothing in it that would teach against Mormonism except by default.

It most certainly does not coincide with Paul's teachings. Or lead to the same destination.

omega2xx

No need to pollute this thread with that denial.
It has been beaten to death on this forum already.
Pick one of the already available threads.
I doubt you have anything new to add to them....

Now the reswte of the forum know what I know---yu would if you could, b ut you can't.

I claim no moral grounds at all.

Since sinning is merely going against the will/wishes of your chosen deity AND I do not have a chosen deity, no, I do not sin.

You are your own deity. I bet at times you violate your own standard of conduct.

If you want to pursue this particular "do people sin" tangent further, you will have to make a thread for it.

Not interested. I want to pursue you saying I have not answered Biblical contradictions, but it seems you have painted yourself into a corner and have to stay there until it drys Lies never dry completely.