• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religious affiliation important?

Plato

I think not.
I have Islam in my title because I believe that surrender to God is at the core of my religious journey. Yet I have more in common with many atheists than I do with many who deignate themselves as muslim.
I have had the religion as a raft metaphor in my mind for a long time and I can't shake it off.
I believe in God, that is important to me - but in the scheme of things I don't think it is that important. What I do think is important is striving to be authentic to whatever this is that we are. In my case this means God. I can fully accept that this is not the same for everyone and as such that religion and religious affiliation is not important. The life journey is what matters.

What do you think?
I think man made religious affiliations...not God...They're important to humans only who choose to make them important. To God they are no doubt only silly things of dis-united humans, not important to God.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I suddenly felt the urge to share some personal information with you.

My first name is Lone (a common danish name), so i suppose you coud say I am alone :D
Nice name!
We all have gaps in our teeth in my family and my grandfathers crowd were from Orkney - maybe we're both vikings and you're not alone Lone :D

atanu

Premium Member
I think not.
I have Islam in my title because I believe that surrender to God is at the core of my religious journey. Yet I have more in common with many atheists than I do with many who deignate themselves as muslim.
I have had the religion as a raft metaphor in my mind for a long time and I can't shake it off.
I believe in God, that is important to me - but in the scheme of things I don't think it is that important. What I do think is important is striving to be authentic to whatever this is that we are. In my case this means God. I can fully accept that this is not the same for everyone and as such that religion and religious affiliation is not important. The life journey is what matters.

What do you think?

From Hindu perspective, our birth is not random or chance, but is tuned to attain certain goal (moksha-liberation from cyclic appearance as embodied being) most efficiently.

From that POV, affiliation and a cultural setting is important as anchor. But eventually, affiliation is anti-moksha.

AmbiguousGuy

Doesn't being a prophet involve privations, deserts & followers?

Not the way I do it, but I'm pretty sure that I'm a very special prophet.

If there was a prophet convention, I'd stand out on the sidewalk with some kind of home-made sign and shout inappropriate remarks. That's how unaffiliated I am.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Being true to your self comes first. The labels by which you want to call that are irrelevant IMHO.

Musty

I've got my my non-religious affiliation listed because of the nature of the forum. Otherwise it's not something I generally advertise because I don't see it as being a public issue.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I think affiliation only matters to the extent that the one claiming the affiliation actually means it.

Think of all the Catholic mobsters.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I personally don't think religious affiliation is important, either; the journey is important, and regardless of which corner one climbs up the mountain, all will reach the goal in the end.

:namaste wise words, wise man !
What is important is the journey itself, not the end of it.

Religious affiliation...Well I don't know. I'm following the teachings of a certain school, therefore I identify myself as a follower of this school. But what I seek is not social recognition, popularity or being affiliated to a group. I seek God. I've been through many people before, when I was new to Sanatana Dharma, telling me "You can't be a hindu" for various reasons. But I realized two things: they are not representative of the entire hindu communauty, and they are not above God. I seek realization of God, nothing more. Being "officially labelled" hindu is nothing important to me...You can I'm part of Hindu, I'll don't care as I seek God. You can say I'm not a part of Hindu, I'll don't care as I seek God.
Being a part of a communauty is a great thing, but it's optionnal for one's spiritual journey, in my opinion.

On the other hand, being a part of a group holding the same beliefs and accepting you with wide arms can only bring good. Because if you seek God, if they seek God, then you'll find God hands in hands, and it is a very beautiful thing to accomplish.

Depends on what you are looking for. Seeking a label for the sake of being labelled is not very useful :/ But that's only my personnal opinion

Aum Namah Shivaya

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's going to depend on the person and on the religion one is affiliated with.

I belong to a very communal religion with a fairly strong ethnic component. Affiliation is extremely important. We require a certain number of members in order to perform certain prayers and rituals, and we are commanded to join together in worship and celebration.

My sister, on the other hand, is "spiritual but not religious", and is equally comfortable in a Christian church or a Hindu temple. Affiliation means nothing to her.

Aamer

Truth Seeker
I think not.

What do you think?

I think it's important to people who feel the need to be part of a group and have a sense of belonging.

But importantly... Is it important to God?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I am sure that it depends on the experience of a culture. For example the traditions of Native Americans are unique and important to them, in some ways they hold the community and represent a connection between their land and the people, and of course their cultural history. Likewise, many Jews don't consider themselves to be affiliated to a religion, but to their People.
If all you seek in a religion is a universal perspective, then affiliation may not be that important to you. But if certain sacred landscape is important and personal to you, if certain languages are important to you, or a certain connection between people and history, then affiliation may be very powerful, necessary, and a natural option.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I don' t think affiliation is important but then the religious structure is important at least as a reference for me. The key word in the OP for me is 'authentic.' This is what is important, to live an authentic life. Paradoxically this is only possible to by having the foundation that I do not need to affiliate to.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Affiliation is not important to me whatsoever. I use the term "Dharmic Muslim" to describe my love of Dharma and Islam. I am primarily a Muslim but I have very noticeable Hindu 'flavors' to my brand of Islam.
I accept reincarnation to a limited extent, moksha, dhyana, karma, prophets and the controversial acceptance of monism. Believe it or not but if you are Quraniyun Muslim none of these things will conflict with the Quran.
Labels are not important, just a heart and god is all that is required. It is very hard to label myself but Dharmic Muslim just seems so bewildering to others I enjoy using the title just for shock value. I myself enjoy conversations with Satanists since they are such polar opposites of myself.

Last edited:

jtartar

I think not.

What do you think?

stephenw,
It is vatally important for everyone to gather with God's people, Heb 10:24,25.
The reason for this is, according to the Holy Scriptures is, unity of the spirit, there is only ONE faith, one hope, one baptism. Since thisis true, it is vital for you to associate with the people who make up that one faith, otherwiae how could you gather together with them, and all the more so as we see the end nearing???
If you use the method of Bible Theology, you will, in a short time find that one faith, Eph 4:1-6, John 13:34,35.

Aamer

Truth Seeker

And that's fine as long as it doesn't also imply that you hate or otherwise oppose/persecute Baha'is.

Peace,

Bruce

Uh... Not all Muslims persecute or have anything against Baha'Is. That's only the nutty ones who believe in death for apostates. You will not find a single verse in Quran where it says to kill apostates. This is man made innovation. According to the nutty hardcore scholar worshipers, I'm an apostate too as I only follow Quran.