• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is public scool obsolete?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Except it almost never is, especially regarding captive markets, as opposed to free markets. And in a modern, complex, interdependent society, most markets have become captive markets, meaning the buyers have to buy, and the sellers therefor have a monopoly. And economic exploitation inevitably follows.
Government is always better, eh?
I strongly suspect that your experience with government differs from mine & from many others I know.

I'm reminded of an old Soviet story about government service.....
(I've worked with a couple guys who lived under that regime.)
Vlad: "I'd like to buy a new car."
Official: "Certainly, comrade! You'll be able to pick it up in 10 years, 3 months & 2 days at 2 o'clock."
Vlad: "Oh, darn....the plumber is scheduled to fix my leaky faucet then."

Last edited:

Tonstad39

Senior headwriter of the Onstad Mythology Series
The issue with private schools is few can afford them. Why should America not have high standards that are universal in all schools, public and private, to ensure our future is well educated, rather than having a "hit and mostly miss" approach to a good education as we currently have?
what about say, Charter schools? Whitch both operate independantly from government policy while recievimg federal funding making them free for the consumer.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
what about say, Charter schools? Whitch both operate independantly from government policy while recievimg federal funding making them free for the consumer.
I'd rather all students, regardless of whatever x may be, have access to equal and top-notch education. We don't need to give different schools a chance, we need to let educators guide education. We need to keep religion out of classes were it is not relative to the subject (such as biology). We need more math, more arts, and less football jock worship. We need to fix what we have than neglecting it for something that isn't an option for most.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd rather all students, regardless of whatever x may be, have access to equal and top-notch education. We don't need to give different schools a chance, we need to let educators guide education. We need to keep religion out of classes were it is not relative to the subject (such as biology). We need more math, more arts, and less football jock worship. We need to fix what we have than neglecting it for something that isn't an option for most.
We also need much more education in trades.
Even those who go on to college can benefit from knowing the basics of auto
mechanics, woodworking, metalworking, & toilet plunging. (I excelled in the latter.)

Seriously, even adult commercial tenants who own & run businesses don't know
how to plunge a toilet. Once trained, they don't need to call me anymore.

Tonstad39

Senior headwriter of the Onstad Mythology Series
What does religion have anything to do with charter schools?

maybe your expierience of American public school differs from mine, but there wasn't football jock warship at my high school. All of us were required four years of English, three years of math, two years of a foreign language and three years of science. We also had two years of occupational learning clases that taught job skills. (of course this was just as Common Core was being introduced for the lower grades)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That's good you care about others. But humans need government and the rule of law to live together successfully.
The two are not polar opposites.

If I use Gandhi's teachings as an example, he certainly felt India needed a government and that the government needed to pass laws to guarantee the rights of individuals. Neither he nor I are anarchists, and "left-libertarian" does not go in that direction.

There is no magic formula for being left-libertarian oriented because each society is different, so what may work in one society could be disastrous in another. The key is to provide maximum freedom for the individual while at the same time keeping the peace and helping others who may not be as fortunate.

I could see Jesus being within this paradigm-- freedom but with compassion and justice.

PureX

Veteran Member
Government is always better, eh?
Government is how we reign each other in, for the betterment of all.
I strongly suspect that your experience with government differs from mine & from many others I know.
Personal anecdotal experience isn't the issue at hand. Our collective well-being, is. If we have allowed our government to become corrupt, as we clearly have, then we need to correct it. But first we need to understand that it's not the purpose of government to serve our individual ideals and desires. So the "fix" doesn't mean government does whatever we think it should be doing when and how we think it should be doing it. Good government demands compromise. Nobody gets everything their way.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Asinine remark from the video:

"Students are allowed to pass along to the next year's subject matter if they attain a grade of at least 50%. That means there's 50% of the material they don't understand."
No, it doesn't mean anything of the sort. It means that SOME children may not understand 50%. Depending on the school and the children, a large majority of the children may very well understand more than 50%.
It's stupid generalizations like this that immediately have me going for the Back Arrow.

Shadow Wolf

What does religion have anything to do with charter schools?
It's the idea that if religion doesn't belong in a subject, it needs to stay out. Regardless of the type of school.
maybe your expierience of American public school differs from mine, but there wasn't football jock warship at my high school. All of us were required four years of English, three years of math, two years of a foreign language and three years of science. We also had two years of occupational learning clases that taught job skills. (of course this was just as Common Core was being introduced for the lower grades)
Your own experience doesn't summarize or define the whole. Also, I stated we also need more art, and you seem to have been required none.

Shadow Wolf

We also need much more education in trades.
Even those who go on to college can benefit from knowing the basics of auto
mechanics, woodworking, metalworking, & toilet plunging. (I excelled in the latter.)

Seriously, even adult commercial tenants who own & run businesses don't know
how to plunge a toilet. Once trained, they don't need to call me anymore.
While I agree, at the same time, those auto mechanics and plumbers need work to make money. And of course there is also the ongoing process of robotics replacing more and more humans to do work. People should be trained to do more, but it's something we also have to consider what the impact would be on those who rely on being trained themselves in that field for income.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Government is how we reign each other in, for the betterment of all.
Personal anecdotal experience isn't the issue at hand. Our collective well-being, is. If we have allowed our government to become corrupt, as we clearly have, then we need to correct it. But first we need to understand that it's not the purpose of government to serve our individual ideals and desires. So the "fix" doesn't mean government does whatever we think it should be doing when and how we think it should be doing it. Good government demands compromise. Nobody gets everything their way.
When anecdotal experience accumulates, it becomes statistics.
So statistically, government isn't very accountable....it just grinds on inexorably as it always has.
You may keep your preference for trusting bigger government.
I'll keep my disdain for it, & my preference for free enterprise.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I agree, at the same time, those auto mechanics and plumbers need work to make money. And of course there is also the ongoing process of robotics replacing more and more humans to do work. People should be trained to do more, but it's something we also have to consider what the impact would be on those who rely on being trained themselves in that field for income.
Robots are far from replacing plumbers & mechanics.

PureX

Veteran Member
How can you make such an assertion when you couldn't properly define libertarianism in another thread?
"Couldn't", and not bothering, are two different responses. I don't bother arguing with, or in many cases even responding to self-proclaimed libertarians. I've found it's a waste of time and energy as they willfully ignore any evidence, information, facts, or reasoning that doesn't perpetuate their bizarre fantasies about anarchy magically ringing in a new egalitarian utopia.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Couldn't", and not bothering, are two different responses. I don't bother arguing with, or in many cases even responding to self-proclaimed libertarians. I've found it's a waste of time and energy as they willfully ignore any evidence, information, facts, or reasoning that doesn't perpetuate their bizarre fantasies about anarchy magically ringing in a new egalitarian utopia.
There's no need for you to understand the philosophies or posters you rail against.
After all...this is RF.....go forth, & let not reality intrude!

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I went to public school, and I'm smarter than homeschooled religious people and privately schooled religious people.

Shadow Wolf

Robots are far from replacing plumbers & mechanics.
Maybe so, but Google and Youtube are definitely not the friends of plumbers and mechanics (if I'm not putting too much confidence in people to Google how to do at least simple plumbing and auto repairs).

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I went to public school for high school, and even then RF ended up having to be my source of information about evolution.

Might be an age or location thing, then. I'd need more information to understand why your science classes in a public school didn't teach evolution.

PureX

Veteran Member
When anecdotal experience accumulates, it becomes statistics.
Yeah, yeah, whatever. People whine when they don't get what they want, when they want it, and how they want it delivered. So the list of complaints against the government are endless, and inevitable, so long as we think like 4-year-olds who's mama has to tell them "no".

The reason our government has become so corrupt is that we keep trying 'rig it' to get our own way, and to hell with everyone else. We only voted for politicians that pandered to our own selfishness agendas, and thereby stacked the houses of government with liars, cheats, and panderers. And now we're all "shocked" that our government is selling us all out to whomever pays them the bigger bribe. What did we expect? We voted for them, and we continue to re-elect them exactly because we want them to be weak-spined toadies, doing what they're told. We just wanted them to be OUR weak-spined toadies, and it didn't work out that way.
So statistically, government isn't very accountable....it just grinds on inexorably as it always has.
You may keep your preference for trusting bigger government. I'll keep my disdain for it, & my preference for free enterprise.
Like I said: toddlers not getting their way, and stupidly thinking life would be better if mean old mommy would just GO AWAY!

Last edited: