• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "pro-birth" offensive?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
People who are opposed to the legalization of abortion: do you find the expression "pro-birth" offensive?

I recently came across the expression, and I think it's one I may be able to use. Until now, I was using "anti-choice", which I still think is accurate, but tends to rile people up.

I don't use "pro-life" because I've seen many people who are opposed to the legalization of abortion be generally anti-life in other ways, so I can't assume that someone who holds that position on abortion is actually "pro-life".

I don't use "anti-abortion" because there are things done by many people who are against the legalization of abortion that would tend to increase the number of abortions (e.g. opposing birth control or proper sex ed).

I think "pro-birth" works: to me, it just says that the person wants fetuses to be born as opposed to aborted. It has a bit to be desired (someone who was truly "pro-birth" would probably be in favour of medical care that helps prevent miscarriages, for instance, which doesn't necessarily follow from being opposed to abortion), but in general, I think it has a lot fewer problems than "pro-life" or "anti-abortion".

So... is "pro-birth" inoffensive? Is it at least less offensive than "anti-choice"?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That's probably the most accurate term I've heard for people who hold that position. It will be interesting to see if any of them find it offensive, and if so, why.

jojom

People who are opposed to the legalization of abortion: do you find the expression "pro-birth" offensive?

So... is "pro-birth" inoffensive? Is it at least less offensive than "anti-choice"?
I think "pro-birth," like "pro-life," is a little too broad to describe those opposed to the legalization of abortion. At the crux of the legalization issue is the ability to choose, and in as much as such people are against the pro-choice position, as inflammatory as it may be, I think "anti-choice" is the best expression. Such people honestly don't want any female to have the choice to have an abortion or not. They are truly anti-choice.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If we think about it, it probably isn't accurate to characterize any person's position on a subject with a single (possibly hyphenated) word. It not only oversimplifies, but can create polarization where there is actually a great deal of common ground or alternative options.

nilsz

bzzt
Labels are useful as (imperfect) descriptions and short-hands. In this case the label describes someone who favours a policy, while often leaving their motivations out of scope.

To write "neutrally" I think is to make few assumptions about what conforms to the outlook of the reader. It is necessary to make some assumptions, but what assumptions are appropriate depends on the target audience. With some audiences, one might be unable to presume that "anti-choice" is a designation that gives appropriate emphasis on the aspects of the policy.

I agree that "pro-birth" seems accurate, while compromising emphasis. I would find it preferable to using "pro-life" if was unable to say "anti-choice."

Last edited:

Midnight Rain

It is misleading at best. I don't think that "pro-life" is honest either. Its Pro-choice and anti-choice. No one is anti-life or pro-abortion. No one thinks that abortions are just awesome things. Its just recognition of the necessity of them and what they mean to the lives of women in our society. So you either are for giving women power and control over their bodies and medical choices or you are against women being able to make their own medical choices and having control over their bodies. Simple as that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is better than pro-life, for sure.

In what way?
I consider myself pro life and anti birth.
The foundation of my morality can be summed up as "We are all in this life together and must treat each other as such" That is what I mean by pro life.

I also look around at a world with 7,000,000,000 humans and growing. We don't need more births, we need less. People who procreate when they are not in a position to provide top notch care for a child are being profoundly irresponsible.
Tom

jojom

What I find telling about the anti-choice side is that it deliberately chose the label, pro-life, which not only doesn't address the crux of the issue, choice, but implies the pro-choice side is against life itself. It's a duplicitous ruse, but not surprising in that most anti-choice people are conservatives. Conservative rhetoric is alive and well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd prefer anti-/pro-abortion, as it pertains directly to the issue (and many "pro-lifers" support the death penalty, make "pro-life" an inaccurate reflection of their beliefs); the anti-/pro-abortion is also how it's supposed to be written per AP standards.

Midnight Rain

I don't understand why you would post this when 2 out of the 6 posters up thread specifically said that they were pro-abortion.
Tom
Then you misudnerstand the meaning. I feel they are speaking poorly. Are they for having abortions for the sake of having abortions? Do the celebrate and relish abortions? Or are they hard choices made by women for the overall good of their lives? No one "wants" to have to have an abortion. No one gets pregnant just to get an abortion and I would imagine very few if any women have unprotected sex because they feel "well i can just get an abortion".

jojom

"I checked with NBC, CBS, CNN, the Associated Press, the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Philadelphia Inquirer and not one of them uses the terms "pro-choice" or "pro-life."

"We call them pro-abortion rights and anti-abortion rights because it's the right to abortion that we're talking about," said Linda Mason, CBS senior vice president of news and in charge of standards. "What does pro-life mean? That leaves people scratching their heads
."
http://www.npr.org/sections/ombudsman/2010/03/in_the_abortion_debate_words_m_1.html

There is more discussion on the terms at the link.

Midnight Rain

Will you respond to what I actually say, instead of assuming I mean something else?
I ask because that is what nearly always happens. I say something and the responses are to something else.
Tom
I stated clearly why I don't agree with the usage of the term "pro-abortion". It is my opinion that it conveys something that is not what it is. Wording and the name of positions are half the battle with voters. For example the "right to work" legislation in states is very very different than what it actually is. However many people believe it to be great. "Right to work? Thats great!" "Pro-abortions? I don't like abortions. Who wants an abortion. Bad people.".