• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Reasonable to Believe Gods Don't Exist?

Brian2

Veteran Member
The trouble with the resurrection story is that we have no eyewitness account of it, no contemporary account of it, and no independent account of it, The earliest is Mark, which originally ended simply with the empty tomb. Not till Matthew do we have a purported account of the appearances of Jesus afterwards (and Matthew's author has the streets of Jerusalem flush with zombies of the faithful dead). Counting Paul's claim that Jesus appeared to a gathering of the faithful, and the mention in Acts 1, there are six accounts of the resurrection, the earliest with any detail being Mark's some 40-45 years after the purported event; and each of the six accounts contradicts the other five in major ways. We sometimes find composite versions of the four gospel accounts, but they share the vice of being a seventh version that contradicts the other six.

Where are these contradictions that you claim exist between the accounts?
A problem with the skeptical claim of no contemporary account of the resurrection is that this is what it is, a skeptic claim. It is based on the idea that prophecy is not true and so the writing of the gospel accounts is put after 70AD. Then that late dating is used to further claim that the writers did not know Jesus or what happened and so there is no contemporary evidence of the resurrection accounts. The whole thing is circular reasoning by people who like to say how wonderful they are at reasoning.
The dating without that circular reasoning and just using the internal evidence is that the synoptic gospels were written in the 50s and 60s. So within about 20 years of the resurrection the story,,,,,,,,,,,,, which was there at the start of Christianity according to everyone I hear, was also in writing and from witnesses.

In your view, what exactly did Jesus say would happen in the lifetime of some of his listeners?

Mark 9.1, Matthew 16.28) and Luke 9.27 are about the transfiguration which happened in each gospel in the following week.

Matt 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. Truly I tell you, you will not reach all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

This is speaking about the number of times the disciples would be persecuted. Since there were about 240 villages in just Galilee at the time of Jesus it is plain that Jesus could be considering long time before He would return.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I set some of them out in an earlier post.

A problem with the skeptical claim of no contemporary account of the resurrection is that this is what it is, a skeptic claim.
It's a simple fact. Show me I'm wrong by referring me to a contemporary account,

It is based on the idea that prophecy is not true
That's reasonable ─ prophecy isn't true, after all.

so the writing of the gospel accounts is put after 70AD.
I may have remarked this to you earlier, but two factors which date Mark to 75 CE or later are (a) the author of Mark including a "prophecy" of the destruction of Jerusalem (Mark 13:2) making it 70 CE or later, and the use of the "Jesus of Jerusalem" (Jesus son of Ananias) trial in Josephus' Wars as his template for the trial of Jesus ─ a book not available until 75 CE.
Then that late dating is used to further claim that the writers did not know Jess or what happened and so there is no contemporary evidence of the resurrection accounts.
None of the gospel authors (or Paul) ever met an historical Jesus or claims to have done so. Mark is the template for the other three gospels.

So within about 20 years of the resurrection the story,,,,,,,,,,,,, which was there at the start of Christianity according to everyone I hear, was also in writing and from witnesses.
The resurrection story, like any miracle tale, is a fantasy just on the face of it. Death is the irreversible cessation of the body's life support functions. If someone, Jesus included, is still alive at a subsequent date, they were never in fact dead, since clearly the cessation of their life support functions was reversible.

Or to put that another way, the onus of demonstration of the truth of such a claim is enormous. It demands an extremely high level of credibility. Nothing even remotely resembling that is present in the NT.

Mark 9.1, Matthew 16.28) and Luke 9.27 are about the transfiguration which happened in each gospel in the following week.
In Mark some of the audience are promised they will see "that the kingdom of God has come with power".

In Matthew they are promised they'll see that "the Son of man comes" and they will see "the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

In Luke they are promised they will see "the kingdom of God” before they die.

Depending on where you look, Jesus is plainly the Son of man, or Jesus doesn't quite seem to be the Son of man, but it doesn't matter, neither version turned up and in no important sense was the kingdom of [the Christian] God established in the 1st century CE or later.

No mention of transfigurations there.

Matt 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. Truly I tell you, you will not reach all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

This is speaking about the number of times the disciples would be persecuted. Since there were about 240 villages in just Galilee at the time of Jesus it is plain that Jesus could be considering long time before He would return.
But that view is contradicted by the express words of Matthew 16:8.

Bthoth

*banned*
We see that Jesus is returning and the details are clearer as the time gets closer.
Will he have a different name? What are the details that can be reviewed without opinion?
Many prophecies are so that we see them after the events and know that God has prophesied them, many are to warn people about what is going to happen.
For example?

Are the pilars of smoke, the WMDS?

Is a vision something that humans get through their own human abilities?

Have you ever had deja vu? Most everyone has had the experiences at some point in their lives. Nature's light has a property called entanglement, that is beyond magic and enables such a capability as prophecy.

There is a whole new trend across the world on the comprehension. The russians and chinese are taking it very serious.

That property of light is how prophecy actually occurs within the body of god, us all.

Bthoth

*banned*
The resurrection story, like any miracle tale, is a fantasy just on the face of it. Death is the irreversible cessation of the body's life support functions. If someone, Jesus included, is still alive at a subsequent date, they were never in fact dead, since clearly the cessation of their life support functions was reversible.
Very few observe that point of view.

Most anyone that has been in a good fight, will sleep for 2-3 days and like jesus wake up thirsty and hungry.
In Mark some of the audience are promised they will see "that the kingdom of God has come with power".
But that did not happen
In Matthew they are promised they'll see that "the Son of man comes" and they will see "the Son of man coming in his kingdom."
All of us are 'son (daughter) of man' ........... excuse me for not adding the LBGT opinions of (other)
In Luke they are promised they will see "the kingdom of God” before they die.

There is a way to address that but I'll skip it here.
Depending on where you look, Jesus is plainly the Son of man, or Jesus doesn't quite seem to be the Son of man,
Even Jesus was the son of a man.......... If a living person, human being.

Bthoth

*banned*
Some people have more knowledge of the spiritual realm than others and show it imo but for most of us it is believing the evidence we have and not being sucked into the rhetoric that the material universe is all there is and that science is the only reliable thing that can show us if the spiritual realm is real or not.
Is it possible that you have no idea what the living process (spirit) even is?

Bthoth

*banned*
See below

The whole thing is circular reasoning by people who like to say how wonderful they are at reasoning.

The dating without that circular reasoning and just using the internal evidence is that the synoptic gospels were written in the 50s and 60s. So within about 20 years of the resurrection the story,,,,,,,,,,,,, which was there at the start of Christianity according to everyone I hear, was also in writing and from witnesses.
The circular reasoning, is writing the accounts after they were claimed to happen, trying to fulfill a past predictions

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any claim of deity is beaten by Occam's Razor.
What does beaten mean in this context? Falsified? If so, that is incorrect. Razors are rules that allow us to arrange hypotheses in order of their likelihood of being correct. Occam's says that the more parsimonious a hypothesis, the better as long as it is complex enough to account for observed phenomena. If you mean relegated to the bottom of a list of hypotheses, then yes, beaten is correct.

Did you see this? You didn't comment on it:

"Why stop with just one unneeded god? Let's add more. We can make that explanation even worse by adding even more complexity that explains and predicts nothing, like a creator god for the one that allegedly created our universe. No wait. Make that three gods working together to make another god that made our universe. And throw in how these three failed at first, producing a creator god that they regretted and had to destroy with a supernatural disaster equivalent to a flood after which they tried again and made a new covenant with their second god."

What would you do with that story? You'd remove all of the gods but one, because they aren't necessary in your opinion. They add no explanatory or predictive power to what you believe the one god did alone. I go one step further and eliminate that god, since it also adds no explanatory or predictive power to the naturalistic view.

I said "a razor" above. There are several more. From an earlier post:

"Like all statements called razors, it orders possibilities. Hitchens' Razor says that that which can be offered without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. Sagan's is similar: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Neither says that the claims are wrong, just not justified, and so, not to be accepted as correct. We have one in medicine that says that if you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras, where horses refer to diagnoses that are commoner and zebras rarer things, and is roughly the equivalent of the duck razor: "If it looks like a duck, etc.." Popper's razor refers to falsifiability, and places unfalsifiable statements at the bottom of any list of things to investigate without calling them wrong."

Supernatural claims fall at the bottom of lists of possible hypotheses according to Occam (needlessly complicated claims), Hitchens (insufficiently supported claims), Sagan (extraordinary claims), and Popper (unfalsifiable claims). But note that that doesn't rule them out.
Naturalism does not account for this universe and life yet but that is OK
No aspect of reality is beyond naturalism to account for. No fact is better explained by positing the supernatural. Not the existence of the universe, nor that it is suitable for life and mind to arise and evolve. I believe you consider biblical prophecy to rise to that level, but biblical prophecy is weak and easily written by ancient human beings without divine assistance.
A problem with the skeptical claim of no contemporary account of the resurrection is that this is what it is, a skeptic claim.
That's not a problem for the skeptic unless you can falsify the claim, and you can't, which sounds like a problem for the believer. You don't have contemporary reports of a resurrection whether apocryphal or otherwise coming from non-biblical sources. How do you account for that if a resurrection actually occurred? Why didn't the Romans write about seeing it themselves or about hearing the claims of alleged witnesses? Do want Occam's answer? Most likely because the story was added to the evolving Gospels a few years or decades after the alleged event. That hypothesis requires the fewest assumptions. There not only need not be a supernatural realm or god, but there didn't even need to be an actual event mistaken for a resurrection.

But please try to understand this point which has been eluding you so far: This is not an argument that that is what happened or that the accounts were false - merely that it is the best explanation possible at this time because it is the simplest one that accounts for the facts, which are limited to the unsubstantiated, second-hand, extraordinary claims reported in Bible and nowhere else.

ppp

Some people have more knowledge of the spiritual realm than others and show it imo but for most of us it is believing the evidence we have and not being sucked into the rhetoric that the material universe is all there is and that science is the only reliable thing that can show us if the spiritual realm is real or not.
Your unwillingness to answer the question that was asked is unsurprising.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even Jesus was the son of a man.......... If a living person, human being.
Jesus (given an historical Jesus) was operating in a religious/political climate of imminent apocalypse coupled with popular resistance to Roman occupation. In the NT the identity of the Son of man is apparently Jesus in some cases and someone else in other places. There was (so I read) a belief that the person who was to come from heaven to earth with that title and establish the kingdom of God was Enoch (who you'll recall in the Tanakh appears not to have died but rather to have gone to be with God in heaven).

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd say that it is illusory to think that a subjective view is not a real view or an inferior view.

There is a culture of epistemic nihilism that I find puzzling, and find myself pushing back more and more these days on ideas of the nature that experience is illusion and that truth is impossible to know.
Yes, this is what I push against all the time consistently in my posts. Experience is empiricism, and experience is subjective. To say "where's your evidence", and then discount experience as evidence because it is subjective is completely disingenuous. What experience is not subjective? Even thinking itself is a subjective experience.
Yes, the subjective view is just one perspective, all perspectives combined into no perspective being objective reality, but that doesn't invalidate the subjective or even subordinate it to any extra-conscious reality that we can never experience except subjectively. It's in here that we live, not out there.
Again, yes, but I'd maybe clarify something. I don't think I'd say the subjective view is just one perspective. All perspectives are subjective in nature. But you have different types of perspectives, or views. You have 1st person perspectives (I), 2nd person perspectives (you), 3rd person perspectives (it), 4th person (pluralistic us), 5th person (self as projection), and even 6th, and 7th person perspectives. Every one of those are subjectively held, even the perspectives of science which aim to be 3rd person perspectives.
I'm thinking of comments like "the self is an illusion" or "in the grand scheme of things, we don't matter" or "all is folly" or "we can never know the essence of anything." What value are such ideas after one has realized that there are other perspectives and considered them?
The thing about these statements is that they can be translated nihilistically, or they can be translated through direct experience to be freeing, which leads into truer, surer, and greater meaning and connection. For me, when I hear "the self is an illusion", that is not only technically accurate, in that the sense of "me" or the individual is literally a construct of the mind, but it can also be recognized as such when an individual moves "beyond" that ego-construct and experiences who they are liberated from that construct.

Note that I said experiences. Just intellectualizing that is not the same thing as actually encountering transcending it. Prior to that, the mind may imagine, "if that's true, then nothing means anything at all!," and you end up with nihilistic philosophies, which both you and I reject.
OK, from the perspective of all of space, yes, we are but an insignificant speck, but that's not the scale at which we live, so why would I give priority to being a speck over having a rich, full, complex life packed with meaning at this scale and from this individual perspective?
This is one of these paradoxical things, that the way up is down, and the way down is up. When we realize how insignificant we are, that humbles our self-inflating egos, trying to make ourselves great in order to deny fear. But then when we release that effort and realize that we are but a spec, but that spec is a shinning, brilliant beautiful diamond, that while it may be only one of a trillion diamonds, it is still a diamond nonetheless, that experience is liberating.

A true story about myself to go with this. I having escaped a fundamentalist church and years later learned about evolution, the realization that humans were not the pinnacle of creation itself, as in the creation narrative of biblical mythology, but was just one branch of many branches, that actually made us more beautiful in my mind. It was a truely, liberating, spiritual moment for me to "see" that perspective.

I remember that moment as one of the most significant moments of my life. It was a milestone moment. It liberated me from this view of a creator God in the way it was taught to me in church. It changed my relationship with that part of myself I was still struggling with. It allowed me to "evolve God", so to speak, through atheism, and into where I am today beyond both theism and atheism.

Religionists and others as well, fear being "insignificant" if they don't see themselves as better than everyone and everything else. But the reality is, the way up is down. That human branch of the tree of evolution is beautiful, as are all the others equally in their own forms. But as we elevate ourselves, we diminish the rest of creation, and in the process we cut ourselves off from the reality of our own natural beauty. The way down, emptying ourselves of our inflated sense of self and realizing we are an equal part of nature, and not above it, elevates us. Life is a gift, and we are all special. All of it.
I see this type of thinking coming from religious teaching, but I doubt it's the only source of it.
It's actually not the source of it. Human hubris is. But our religions, as well as any of our other mythologies about ourselves, has the effect to reinforce and validate that arrogance. I like to say that we create God in our own image, so that God can create us in his. It's a feedback loop system.

So it's really not religion's fault. Religion is simply used to reflect back our own arrogance and sanction it. "God tells me it's okay to rape the earth." But then of course there are those in religion who balk at that view, and they are the ones who create spiritual movements. There is this constant dance between this two competing voices in religions, as well as in culture at large.

In the Abrahamic traditions, one is not to trust his lying eyes. The wisdom of the world with all of its reason and empiricism is foolishness.
That depends how one is viewing such verses. I agree with you in your rejection of the view that you reject. I just don't accept that is the only way it can be read.
Anybody who tells you that the Big Ban or evolution occurred cannot know what they are talking about. Nobody can, because nobody was there. And there are any number of ways to interpret the same evidence and none is more valid than the rest. Materialism is myopia or scientism.
All of this denialism is reflected in other areas of life as well, such as denying that Trump is a pathological liar and believing every word he says is true. This isn't a religion problem. It's a people problem. And you see that people problem in religion as well as many, many other areas of life where people cannot tolerate facts. Global warming comes to mind as well.
This all supports supernaturalism and faith-based thought in general, but I've seen it elsewhere as well. We see it in the dharmic religions with references to ego and dualism both being undesirable conscious states.
That's actually not invalid view on their part. The ego can in fact cause suffering. This is good psychology. Clinging to one's attachments as the source of wellbeing, is not a healthy recipe for living. Again, you seem to see these teachings through a cynical lens, one which I do not feel is supported by what the actual teachings are really about. Of course you have people not understand them and abuse them, but why elevate the lowest common denominators as reflective of the whole? That doesn't seem a very fair or rational thing.
But I've also seen it in other types of freethinkers with wild ideas about the Egyptian pyramids, and also in what I understand to be atheistic, neurodiverse minds that just can't focus or get grounded and who challenge whatever they read in the same way - 'you can't know that' because you aren't omniscient.
I never apply the term freethinkers to neo-atheists. They aren't. Antitheism is not rationally based. It's emotionally biased as much as any religious position is.

Last edited:

Bthoth

*banned*
Jesus (given an historical Jesus) was operating in a religious/political climate of imminent apocalypse coupled with popular resistance to Roman occupation. In the NT the identity of the Son of man is apparently Jesus in some cases and someone else in other places. There was (so I read) a belief that the person who was to come from heaven to earth with that title and establish the kingdom of God was Enoch (who you'll recall in the Tanakh appears not to have died but rather to have gone to be with God in heaven).
Many stories about many children of god. Hercules, perseus etc.....

All of us are children (son of man) but none have a kingdom over mankind as a god child unless perhaps a pharoah.

Likewise 'we' all live here in heaven and the only place to be conscious and know it. The rest are just story telling, like the Hobbit in middle earth.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Antitheism is not rationally based.
Mine is, but perhaps we don't mean the same thing with that word. I am not opposed to theism or theists in general, although I reject it for my own life. What I oppose and resist is the incursion of religion into government, especially secular government. Specifically, I oppose Christianity in American government, especially its bigotries such as misogyny (criminalizing abortion) and homophobia (anti-same sex marriage, transphobia, drag queen phobia, book banning).

Why do I support secular government? My values are humanistic, meaning that I support tolerant, free societies that maximize social and economic opportunity for the greatest number, and antitheism is a rational response to creeping theocracy.

I also object to Abrahamic religion in places like Afghanistan and Iran, but that is an issue for people living under Islamic theocracies to grapple with. I don't know those people or their languages, and have no connection to or influence in their world.

ppp

Mine is, but perhaps we don't mean the same thing with that word. I am not opposed to theism or theists in general, although I reject it for my own life. What I oppose and resist is the incursion of religion into government, especially secular government. Specifically, I oppose Christianity in American government, especially its bigotries such as misogyny (criminalizing abortion) and homophobia (anti-same sex marriage, transphobia, drag queen phobia, book banning).

Why do I support secular government? My values are humanistic, meaning that I support tolerant, free societies that maximize social and economic opportunity for the greatest number, and antitheism is a rational response to creeping theocracy.

I also object to Abrahamic religion in places like Afghanistan and Iran, but that is an issue for people living under Islamic theocracies to grapple with. I don't know those people or their languages, and have no connection to or influence in their world.
Well said. And hopefully not cherry picked, quote mined or ignored. Hopefully.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mine is, but perhaps we don't mean the same thing with that word. I am not opposed to theism or theists in general, although I reject it for my own life.
Then you are not an antitheist according to the meaning of that word. This is a good article I'd recommend reading to help clarify the muddiness of what people's positions actually are when they say they are an "atheist". A couple excerpts: Reza Aslan: Sam Harris and "New Atheists" aren't new, aren't even atheists

The earliest known English record of the term "anti-theist" dates back to 1788, but the first citation of the word can be found in the 1833 edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, where it is defined as “one opposed to belief in the existence of a god” (italics mine). In other words, while an atheist believes there is no god and so follows no religion, an anti-theist opposes the very idea of religious belief, often viewing religion as an insidious force that must be rooted from society – forcibly if necessary.​
The late Christopher Hitchens, one of the icons of the New Atheist movement, understood this difference well. “I’m not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist,” he wrote in his "Letters to a Young Contrarian." “I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful.”​
......​
The great Enlightenment thinkers Voltaire, David Hume, Thomas Hobbes and John Locke were severely critical of institutional religion, viewing it as a destructive force in society. But they did not explicitly reject God’s existence, nor were they opposed to the idea of religious belief. (There were, of course, numerous other Enlightenment figures who professed atheism, such as Jean Meslier and the French philosopher Baron d’Holbach.) On the contrary, they recognized the inherent value of religious belief in fostering social cohesion and maintaining order, and so sought a means of replacing religion as the basis for making moral judgments in European society. It was political transformation they wanted, not religious reform.​
Yet in the century that followed the Enlightenment, a stridently militant form of atheism arose that merged the Enlightenment’s criticism of institutional religion with the strict empiricism of the scientific revolution to not only reject belief in God, but to actively oppose it. By the middle of the 19th century, this movement was given its own name – anti-theism – specifically to differentiate it from atheism.​
....​
The appeal of New Atheism is that it offered non-believers a muscular and dogmatic form of atheism specifically designed to push back against muscular and dogmatic religious belief. Yet that is also, in my opinion, the main problem with New Atheism. In seeking to replace religion with secularism and faith with science, the New Atheists have, perhaps inadvertently, launched a movement with far too many similarities to the ones they so radically oppose. Indeed, while we typically associate fundamentalism with religiously zealotry, in so far as the term connotes an attempt to “impose a single truth on the plural world” – to use the definition of noted philosopher Jonathan Sacks – then there is little doubt that a similar fundamentalist mind-set has overcome many adherents of this latest iteration of anti-theism.​
Like religious fundamentalism, New Atheism is primarily a reactionary phenomenon, one that responds to religion with the same venomous ire with which religious fundamentalists respond to atheism.​

I've bolded above what particularly makes the point here.
What I oppose and resist is the incursion of religion into government, especially secular government. Specifically, I oppose Christianity in American government, especially its bigotries such as misogyny (criminalizing abortion) and homophobia (anti-same sex marriage, transphobia, drag queen phobia, book banning).
I oppose that equally, if not more than you do. I say that because rather than me being simply disgusted by what they are doing in their manipulations and lies in politics to impose their Taliban-like religiosity upon others, but I see them doing it by taking what should be a force for good in the world and using the name of God to do evil instead. Think the Evangelicals supporting Trump for one clear example of unvarnished religious hypocrisy.

Rather than taking my disgust at them and blaming the Bible and its teachings, which I feel is what you do, I put the onus squarely on them, and heap even worse condemnation upon them for their abuses of religion itself. Liars in the name of God, are ten times worse than just liars and thieves in general.
Why I support a secular government as well is for that tolerance as well, which also means allowing religious diversity to exist. Campaigns to stamp out religion, antitheism particularly, is no different in kind that those fundamentalists who seek to stamp out atheism and impose a theocracy. Tolerance does not go just one direction.

I applaud atheism and the good it can do, just as I applaud healthy religion and the good it can do. But I oppose both religious and atheistic fundamentalisms which see their views as the one true and good way that all others should practice. They are exactly the same animal, with different deities is all.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet in the century that followed the Enlightenment, a stridently militant form of atheism arose that merged the Enlightenment’s criticism of institutional religion with the strict empiricism of the scientific revolution to not only reject belief in God, but to actively oppose it
Actively oppose theism? Did they use violence or the threat of violence? If not, what makes them militant? Nothing. And if that's militance, how is trying to get prayer and creationism back into secular public schools, which limits individual freedom from religion and assaults the Constitution not more militant?

I tend to distrust language like, "a stridently militant form of atheism." Virtually any opinion against religious belief even when expressed as a personal choice is framed in militant language - rebellion against a good god by god haters in the pursuit of wanton hedonism.

I've been called a militant atheist for challenging the wisdom of belief by faith in these threads. The faithful aren't used to that. My grandparent's generation saw the Scopes trials. How dare that teacher teach evolution? By my day, atheists were still largely silent. We had no voice, no platform, and we were disesteemed by Christian society, which still considered atheists too immoral to teach, coach, or adopt, were considered unfit to serve on juries or give expert testimony, and they were unelectable. Those were the good old days in these people's estimation.

But then came the modern telecommunications beginning with televangelism and the church's endless litany of hypocrisies and scandals, followed a host of best-selling atheist authors that made atheism more tenable for many, and the Internet, which gave the atheists a voice. That wasn't OK with people who were used to atheists being unheard. This was framed just as it was when blacks were called uppity for resistance to racism and women were called "independent" in a disapproving manner for pushing back against inequality. The analogous word for atheists is militant.

Today, this is considered militant atheism:

1696514842380.png

1696515671373.png

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actively oppose theism? Did they use violence or the threat of violence? If not, what makes them militant? Nothing.
What makes anyone "militant" is this: "aggressively active or combative in support of a cause:militant reformers." That's the dictionary definition of the word. So it's not "nothing", it is being "aggressively active or combative in support of a cause."

Are there atheists who do this? Absolutely! Are there Christians who do this? Absolutely. A militant Christian is a fundamentalist. Are there atheist fundamentalists? Are they people who are fundamentalists that are atheists? Yes indeed there are.

Do you believe that all atheists are reasonable, rational, and moderate in their views? That's a pie in sky idealization of atheism as somehow beyond fundamentalists joining their ranks.
And if that's militance, how is trying to get prayer and creationism back into secular public schools, which limits individual freedom from religion and assaults the Constitution not more militant?
It's not more militant. Fundamentalism is militant religion. And militant atheists are the flipside of the same coin of fundamentalism. Militant = Fundamentalism. Which that article defined well thusly,

"Indeed, while we typically associate fundamentalism with religious zealotry, in so far as the term connotes an attempt to “impose a single truth on the plural world” – to use the definition of noted philosopher Jonathan Sacks – then there is little doubt that a similar fundamentalist mindset has overcome many adherents of this latest iteration of anti-theism."​
Are there atheists who try to do this? Yes. Anti-theism is all about getting people to get rid of their god-beliefs, through a campaign of trying to "debunk" god-beliefs towards their given points of view.

Now, let's be clear, and even though I say this others will ignore what I'm saying and just react anyway, opposing fundamentalism is not anti-theism. I oppose fundamentalism, in religion and in atheism. I will challenge those who think they have the one and only valid way of perceiving truth and reality, be that those who say their idea of God must be believed, or those who try to say all ideas of God should be disbelieved. They are doing the exact same thing. I oppose both the theist and the atheist who do this. Opposing fundamentalism, is not opposing theism nor is it opposing atheism. I embrace both beliefs or points of view, but I oppose fundamentalism. I hope that is clear. Let's see.
I tend to distrust language like, "a stridently militant form of atheism." Virtually any opinion against religious belief even when expressed as a personal choice is framed in militant language - rebellion against a good god by god haters in the pursuit of wanton hedonism.
I don't believe expressing disagreement to be the same thing is being a militant whatever. I like to put it this way. It's not what someone believe in, but how they believe in it, the manner in which they hold their views, how strident they are, how dogmatic they are, etc, that makes them militant of fundamentalist believers.

People are fundamentalists first, and believers second. Chances are extremely high that when you have a fundamentalist Christian lose faith, they will become a fundamentalist atheist. Changing how you believe, is an order of magnitude much harder than changing what you believe in. The former requires changing who you are as a person, the later requires only changing what you agree with intellectually.

A simple metaphor, "You can take the boy out of the fundi church, but you can't take the fundi church out of the boy." An evangelical Christian, becomes and evangelical atheist. And so forth.
I've been called a militant atheist for challenging the wisdom of belief by faith in these threads.
I don't see you as a militant atheist. If I did, I'd say so. I also would be bored by you and not find discussion with you to be engaging. The only thing I critique with you is that you see things through a rather jaded cynical lens that I think you could stand to let go of. I don't find it rationally supportable in the given contexts. I don't hear an attempt at balance, when certainly other points of view can easily be respected. Your reading of the Beatitudes leaps to mind. ;) But I don't see that as militantism at all.

As far as others weaponizing that term and misapplying, well, so what. People say I'm "New Age", and that's completely incorrect usage as well. There are those who are, but I am not that. There are those who are militant atheists, but you are not that. I just disregard those who don't know how to use the language correctly. I don't dismiss the language because of those few however.
The faithful aren't used to that. My grandparent's generation saw the Scopes trials. How dare that teacher teach evolution? By my day, atheists were still largely silent.
Christians should speak out against fundamentalism too. I applaud all who do, atheist and theists alike. That anti-science garbage needs to be challenged. I direct you to my favorite essay on exactly this point: Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance – Religion Online

We had no voice, no platform, and we were disesteemed by Christian society, which still considered atheists too immoral to teach, coach, or adopt, were considered unfit to serve on juries or give expert testimony, and they were unelectable. Those were the good old days in these people's estimation.
Yes, all those things need to be grown beyond. I think both the Christian church, atheism, and secular society should not allow anti-modernist forces in religion or culture in general stop things like science education, equal rights for minorities, equal rights for women, etc to move us into the modern world. This isn't really about religion, it's about modernity. Once that point is clear, then this argument "against religion" or against belief in God, can be viewed as it really is - a distraction.
Today, this is considered militant atheism:

View attachment 83180

View attachment 83181
Nonsense. Militant anything's isn't intellectual. Those meme are as inaccurate as what it attempts to counter. Again, I am anti-fundamentalisms, not anti-theism or anti-atheism. Militant atheism is a real as militant theism is. They are both fundamentalism. The idea that the atheist in nothing but calm and well reasoned, is as absurd as believing all Christians a beatific saints. It's laughable. :)

leroy

Supernatural claims fall at the bottom of lists of possible hypotheses according to Occam (needlessly complicated claims), Hitchens (insufficiently supported claims), Sagan (extraordinary claims), and Popper (unfalsifiable claims). But note that that doesn't rule them out.
Why?

Is that general principle? Is that true in general ? Or is that claim only applies in this particular context (resurrection)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Because of the consequences. Investigating supernatural claims is notoriously difficult if not impossible. They usually don't come with a mechanism on which a hypothesis can be build. Natural claims are easy in contrast, they have to obey natural laws. Also, supernatural claims have an abysmal track record.

Reactions: ppp

leroy

Because of the consequences. Investigating supernatural claims is notoriously difficult if not impossible. They usually don't come with a mechanism on which a hypothesis can be build. Natural claims are easy in contrast, they have to obey natural laws. Also, supernatural claims have an abysmal track record.
Irrelevant

an explanation is not less likely to be true, nor less parsimonious just because it is “hard” to investigate