• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to Torture an NPC

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Gotta be GTA. Trevor.

It was hilarious.

The reason why it's OK is the fact that most people can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

Especially the comedic aftermath when Trevor drove his victim to the airport.

Bodie

Does torture work in a game?

In the real world it is claimed by many countries in the west that torture doesn't work and is actually counter productive yet those very same countries use torture behind closed doors or have others do their dirty work for them so they can pretend innocence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can very definitely that to the extent you can torture and kill characters, video games don't really go to the depths of depravity and horror and torturous, agonizing of what I put characters in my own stories.
Kids are generally safe in video games. Kids are not safe in my books.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Is It Ok to Torment Non-Player Characters in Video Games?

Is it ok that we should sometimes torture NPCs in video games? Does it show is a mirror of our morality?

Are we but NPCs to the Gods above? Being used as pawns and playthings?
I haven't played many games on PC lately but I've read about adaptive games. They have implemented what I see as karma. The world becomes ever so slightly a mirror of the player(s)'(s) actions. Would you torture an NPC in such a game? Would you torture a character in an MMPORPG where you don't know if it is a player character or an NPC?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Not as transitory as Wile E. Coyote. He can fall from a thousand-foot cliff and then come back and be good as new 30 seconds later (and still be the same individual, same lifeform, same memories, etc.).
Wile E. Coyote lives a cursed existence, being tortured for all eternity because of, and by, his mindless greed.

Shadow11

I use status effect on NPCs lighting them on fire and they run around screaming that their skin is burning off. Some times you see guys blowing through the air or hanging from the ceiling after killing them.I laugh because these are vicious enemies that will kill me in a second and its just a game. I am speaking of Division 2 which has brutal AI on heroic and legendary.Below is a video of the game doing the space administration mission - its not me playing it showing the easy level the enemy is not as bad on this level..

Last edited:

☆Dreamwind☆

Sometimes I'll pester or hit the really annoying ones, if the game allows me to. The crazy flower lady in breath of the wild made me soooo agitated, that when I finally completed the shrine, I perched in a tree and shot fire arrows at her field to watch her freak out. She couldn't get me up in the tree.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
IMO, Yes.

Is it ok that we should sometimes torture NPCs in video games?
Yes

Does it show is a mirror of our morality?
Not in my opinion
It is after all fantasy.

Based on the posts of some certain members...
Absolutely.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Sometimes I'll pester or hit the really annoying ones, if the game allows me to. The crazy flower lady in breath of the wild made me soooo agitated, that when I finally completed the shrine, I perched in a tree and shot fire arrows at her field to watch her freak out. She couldn't get me up in the tree.
Like the Crumplebottoms in SIMS 4?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is It Ok to Torment Non-Player Characters in Video Games?

Is it ok that we should sometimes torture NPCs in video games? Does it show is a mirror of our morality?

I find it impossible to torture even the cute bunnies in games.

I'd shoot and skin them them however in Red Dead Redemption, but I'd eat them after giving it to the chef back at camp and sell the pelts or craft stuff.

I believe in quick deaths.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Wile E. Coyote lives a cursed existence, being tortured for all eternity because of, and by, his mindless greed.

Perhaps, but all he wanted was just a skinny roadrunner for dinner. Not much meat there.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If that's all they were, no one would bother playing the games.
That's literally all it is. Data and codes. There's nothing real about it.
f that's what contents someone's heart, I think they need some serious moral and spiritual care.
Or it's someone playing a game amd fully realizing it's fake, it's fantasy, there are no real life moral implications or consequences. I would argue that those who need help are those who want to see and make video games as more than that.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's literally all it is. Data and codes. There's nothing real about it.
Clearly it’s far more then that, as people actually become addicted to those games.
Or it's someone playing a game amd fully realizing it's fake, it's fantasy, there are no real life moral implications or consequences.
But they are “really” playing the game, and that in itself has consequences. And if it so obviously fake, they wouldn’t get so emotionally wrapped up in it.
I would argue that those who need help are those who want to see and make video games as more than that.
The games themselves are doing everything possible to themselves “more then that”. To make playing them look and feel as real as possible. Including torturing innocent civilians and even sexual assault.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen some sci-fi shows where it might show a video game or simulation where the AI characters start to remember what may have happened to them in previous versions or simulations. Or even in Star Trek TNG, where the holodeck character Moriarity said he had brief periods of consciousness even while his program was supposedly inactive and in archived storage. That, just by itself, sounds kind of torturous.

So, if you turn off or delete your video game, the NPCs might still be suffering. Maybe the NPCs could be transferred to some cyber equivalent of the "Island of Misfit Toys." We could visit a place where Mario, Luigi, Zelda, Duke Nukem, and other past game characters could interact in a virtual reality.