• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it a waste of my time to try having honest, logical debates with theists?

Why is it so hard for many theists to provide/follow logical arguments? You would think, that given the amount of time their religions have been around they would have some well reasoned arguments ready to go. Yet when I try to have an honest and rational debate/discussion with a theist about religion it usually ends with them name calling, constantly ignoring/trying to change the subject, or walking away from the debate/discussion. So is it a waste of my time trying to debate theists?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Why is it so hard for many theists to provide/follow logical arguments? You would think, that given the amount of time their religions have been around they would have some well reasoned arguments ready to go. Yet when I try to have an honest and rational debate/discussion with a theist about religion it usually ends with them name calling, constantly ignoring/trying to change the subject, or walking away from the debate/discussion. So is it a waste of my time trying to debate theists?
Not all of them, but with a worldview that is dependent on faith, logical arguments are hard to come by.

Not all of them, but with a worldview that is dependent on faith, logical arguments are hard to come by.

I understand that. Just frustrating sometimes. Given the amount of time religion has been around you would think there are at least a few theists out there that could give atheists a run for their money in a debate. Unfortunately, I haven't personally seen that.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As Jonathan Swift once said:

"You cannot reason someone out of something he or she was not reasoned into."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So is it a waste of my time trying to debate theists?

Unless you convert, become a true believer. Then I'm sure it will all make sense to you.

The question is, are they wasting their time?

giphy.gif

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I get called a lot of names, but I always assume atheists are honest and capable of critical thought, they just see things from a different perspective. If something seems illogical or 'dishonest' it's usually a matter of not understanding another person's point of view.

suncowiam

Before I debate a theist, I have to check if we're in the "Scriptural Debate" section...

Otherwise, I'll lose all the time.

I get called a lot of names, but I always assume atheists are honest and capable of critical thought, they just see things from a different perspective. If something seems illogical or 'dishonest' it's usually a matter of not understanding another person's point of view.

I understand that. I ask for evidence a lot from theists to back their claims (which I honestly don't expect, but who knows, maybe someone will surprise me some day) but I'm usually ok with letting that slide if they can produce a compelling argument. It'd honestly be awesome if a theist could produce some good arguments that stumped me.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think whenever you're dealing with a dogmatic person (and such person does not have to be a theist), it is frustrating to have a logical conversation because some people's biases are so ingrained that even if you deconstruct their worldview in their mind, what they believe makes perfect sense. This really goes for anybody regardless of spiritual convictions. But I get what you're saying it is totally frustrating.

Phantasman

In open understanding, theism is a derived term from the 1600s, and has a broad brush. Just a further study by men to acquire divisions. In truth, I have as much difficulty in debating theists as well. And I use scriptures. Many of their own.

Some people just don't want to see a point another makes. That's not a debate.

I think whenever you're dealing with a dogmatic person (and such person does not have to be a theist), it is frustrating to have a logical conversation because some people's biases are so ingrained that even if you deconstruct their worldview in their mind, what they believe makes perfect sense. This really goes for anybody regardless of spiritual convictions. But I get what you're saying it is totally frustrating.

It gets frustrating for me because I'm willing to be open minded and honest when I go into a debate and that mindset/consideration is rarely returned. I don't dismiss anything out of hand. If I reject something it is after I have given it real thought and have looked into it. For instance, I'm an atheist but I don't completely dismiss the concept of a creator. As far as I can tell, no one knows how life started, so the honest position regarding this issue is to say "I don't know". I've notice that there are a lot of people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of admitting that they really don't know certain things.

Some people just don't want to see a point another makes. That's not a debate.

Exactly! I've been getting agitated lately with the theists in the debate forums who aren't there to debate. They just want to nay say and then get nasty or don't respond when you try to engage them in actual debate.