• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

pro4life

I am starting to believe that Athiesm starting to be like a religion. They already have their own scholars, proselytization, and prophets(hawkins)

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sorry. Don't think so. A "religion" is by definition something that has to do with belief in a God, having dogma/traditions/rituals, and not just scholars or "prophets." (A prophet is supposedly someone being a spokesperson for God, so do you believe atheist prophets are speaking God's will?)

So far, I haven't been approached by any proselytizer of atheism. I have from religious people, but never from atheists. Do you have them knocking on doors in your area?

I used to go door-to-door as a fundamentalist Christians. I'm not doing that again...

Anyway, if it's true that atheism is considered a religion, then where's the tax exemption? They need to get it just like any religious church does.

pro4life

Sorry. Don't think so. A "religion" is by definition something that has to do with belief in a God, having dogma/traditions/rituals, and not just scholars or "prophets." (A prophet is supposedly someone being a spokesperson for God, so do you believe atheist prophets are speaking God's will?)

So far, I haven't been approached by any proselytizer of atheism. I have from religious people, but never from atheists. Do you have them knocking on doors in your area?

I used to go door-to-door as a fundamentalist Christians. I'm not doing that again...

Anyway, if it's true that atheism is considered a religion, then where's the tax exemption? They need to get it just like any religious church does.

You are explicitly comparing the stature of Christianity as the basis of your analysis. Christianity isn't the groundstone of what religion is.
As for faith, Athiests do have faith. They have faith that everything came from nothing and that humans evolved from minuscule microbes without any clear evidence. Yes Athiesm is scattered and not under a standard roof, but they have one call: eliminate other religions and disbelieve in them. Now you have proselytizers such as Dawkins openly debating other religions.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
You are explicitly comparing the stature of Christianity as the basis of your analysis. Christianity isn't the groundstone of what religion is.
Fair enough.

As for faith, Athiests do have faith.
Sure. We all have faith and beliefs of one kind or another.

Is my faith in that my plants will grow a religion then? Green religion? Or my belief that I will have a beer later and like it. Beer religion?

They have faith that everything came from nothing
Not really. Many atheist believe the world came from something, but they just don't think it was a god of any kind.

and that humans evolved from minuscule microbes without any clear evidence.
There's a tremendous amount of evidence. You just haven't looked. You claim you approach evolution from a scientific view, but I don't see it. I know about a truckload of the evidence to support evolution, so for you to say there's no clear evidence is to spit in my face. And I don't like it. I know the evidence, or at least some of it, which is quite a lot more than most still.

Yes Athiesm is scattered and not under a standard roof, but they have one call: eliminate other religions
Not true. "Athiests" don't have a call to eliminate other religions. I was an atheist for 10 years (and somewhat is still) and I had no, and still have no intention or interest in eliminating any religion, and I have good reasons to why I don't want to. I took sociology and psychology as well, and have some understanding to what function religion serves.

and disbelieve in them. Now you have proselytizers such as Dawkins openly debating other religions.
So openly debating other religions is in your view a way of proselytize? In other words, everyone who is not of your religion should just keep quiet and get out of your way, or else they're "proselytizing"? I don't think that's fair. People has the right to challenge set norms and established religions without having to be called "religious" or "proselytizers."

pro4life

Fair enough.

Sure. We all have faith and beliefs of one kind or another.

Is my faith in that my plants will grow a religion then? Green religion? Or my belief that I will have a beer later and like it. Beer religion?

Not really. Many atheist believe the world came from something, but they just don't think it was a god of any kind.

There's a tremendous amount of evidence. You just haven't looked. You claim you approach evolution from a scientific view, but I don't see it. I know about a truckload of the evidence to support evolution, so for you to say there's no clear evidence is to spit in my face. And I don't like it. I know the evidence, or at least some of it, which is quite a lot more than most still.

Not true. "Athiests" don't have a call to eliminate other religions. I was an atheist for 10 years (and somewhat is still) and I had no, and still have no intention or interest in eliminating any religion, and I have good reasons to why I don't want to. I took sociology and psychology as well, and have some understanding to what function religion serves.

So openly debating other religions is in your view a way of proselytize? In other words, everyone who is not of your religion should just keep quiet and get out of your way, or else they're "proselytizing"? I don't think that's fair. People has the right to challenge set norms and established religions without having to be called "religious" or "proselytizers."

In regards to the scientific evidence-there is no plausible evidence of any sort or any scientific methodology that proved the accuracy of evolution. On the other hand adaptation is believable and I have researched it thoroughly. Adaptations: Certain bacterias are able to become resistant to certain drugs if given the right environment and pressure. But you see this bacteria did not evolve but certainly did adapt to its environment. This bacteria did not become a fungus or an amoeba.

I am able to put testimonies because I have the credibility to do so. Don't feel insulted and feel like I am claiming these terms based on bias or hateful premise. I have taken many evolution courses from human paleontology to evolution of primates.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
As for faith, Athiests do have faith. They have faith that everything came from nothing and that humans evolved from minuscule microbes without any clear evidence. Yes Athiesm is scattered and not under a standard roof, but they have one call: eliminate other religions and disbelieve in them. Now you have proselytizers such as Dawkins openly debating other religions.

No, faith in any of those things has nothing to do with atheism. Not that any atheist need have faith in 'everything coming from nothing' - that is cosmology, not atheism. That we evolved from microbes is evidential, and biology - not atheism.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
In regards to the scientific evidence-there is no plausible evidence of any sort or any scientific methodology that proved the accuracy of evolution.
BS. There's plenty of evidence.

On the other hand adaptation is believable and I have researched it thoroughly. Adaptations: Certain bacterias are able to become resistant to certain drugs if given the right environment and pressure. But you see this bacteria did not evolve but certainly did adapt to its environment. This bacteria did not become a fungus or an amoeba.

Can you explain exactly how the bacteria "adapted" to become resistant to certain drugs?

I am able to put testimonies because I have the credibility to do so. Don't feel insulted and feel like I am claiming these terms based on bias or hateful premise. I have taken many evolution courses from human paleontology to evolution of primates.
Well, I don't know what to say then. Because I know from my classes the evidence. And I've taken those classes too.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I am starting to believe that Athiesm starting to be like a religion. They already have their own scholars, proselytization, and prophets(hawkins)
What, exactly, has Hawkins prophesied? and what proselytization are you talking about? Someone try to induce you to become an atheist? Moreover, what scholarship of atheism, other than historic reviews of it, do you see going on?

To tell you the truth, pro4life, I don't think you have the faintest idea of what atheism is. Might want to look up the word in a dictionary.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
In regards to the scientific evidence-there is no plausible evidence of any sort or any scientific methodology that proved the accuracy of evolution.

You are mistaken, the entire theory of evolution is drawn from evidence. Evolution itself is a proven fact.
On the other hand adaptation is believable and I have researched it thoroughly.

Adaptation is evolution.
Adaptations: Certain bacterias are able to become resistant to certain drugs if given the right environment and pressure. But you see this bacteria did not evolve but certainly did adapt to its environment. This bacteria did not become a fungus or an amoeba.

I'm sorry, but you are proving that you have not studied evolution at all.

pro4life

You are mistaken, the entire theory of evolution is drawn from evidence. Evolution itself is a proven fact.

Adaptation is evolution.

I'm sorry, but you are proving that you have not studied evolution at all.

Don't equate Adaptation to evolution..

All species experience adaptation but do not experience evolution. You have belief that a fly can be a dragonfly?

Skwim

Veteran Member
In regards to the scientific evidence-there is no plausible evidence of any sort or any scientific methodology that proved the accuracy of evolution. On the other hand adaptation is believable and I have researched it thoroughly. Adaptations: Certain bacterias are able to become resistant to certain drugs if given the right environment and pressure. But you see this bacteria did not evolve but certainly did adapt to its environment. This bacteria did not become a fungus or an amoeba.

I am able to put testimonies because I have the credibility to do so.

Sorry, but you don't get to establish your own credibility. Others do. And I don't think anyone here is about to do that.

Don't feel insulted and feel like I am claiming these terms based on bias or hateful premise. I have taken many evolution courses from human paleontology to evolution of primates.
Then you must have fallen asleep in all the classes. My condolences for your waste of time and money.

pro4life

BS. There's plenty of evidence.

Can you explain exactly how the bacteria "adapted" to become resistant to certain drugs?

Well, I don't know what to say then. Because I know from my classes the evidence. And I've taken those classes too.

There is not 1 evidence of a specie becoming into another specie. Those are all theories that do not follow the scientific method.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
There is not 1 evidence of a specie becoming into another specie. Those are all theories that do not follow the scientific method.
"Not 1"... tells it all. And your attitude that they're just "theories" and not follow scientific methods...

ROFLMAO!!!

I know now that you're not for real. I'm not going to take you seriously from now on. That was a dead giveaway! LOL!

Parsimony

All species experience adaptation but do not experience evolution.
Evolution is defined as a change in the frequency of alleles in a population from one generation to another. Adaptation is evolution.

You have belief that a fly can be a dragonfly?
That's a straw-man. Evolution does not claim that flies can evolve into dragonflies.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

No, that is false. There are many examples of a species becoming another species, we have observed examples going back over a century. The theory is DRAWN FROM THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, it is a product of it.

Speciation is supported by a truly vast body of reliable and tested evidence - which if you had actually studied evolution you would know.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

All species experience adaptation but do not experience evolution. You have belief that a fly can be a dragonfly?
Adaptation is evolution, and nobody who has studied evolution would think that dragonflies evolved from flies.

(By the way there are at least 85,000 species of fly - that is one species diverging into another at least 85,000 times)

pro4life

"Not 1"... tells it all. And your attitude that they're just "theories" and not follow scientific methods...

ROFLMAO!!!

I know now that you're not for real. I'm not going to take you seriously from now on. That was a dead giveaway! LOL!

I don't deem you to be any sophisticated. You have not given me any proof.

pro4life

Evolution is defined as a change in the frequency of alleles in a population from one generation to another. Adaptation is evolution.

That's a straw-man. Evolution does not claim that flies can evolve into dragonflies.

Don't equate Adapation to evolution, they are 2 different and discrete words

pro4life

No, that is false. There are many examples of a species becoming another species, we have observed examples going back over a century. The theory is DRAWN FROM THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, it is a product of it.

Speciation is supported by a truly vast body of reliable and tested evidence - which if you had actually studied evolution you would know.

Give me one example of observable evidence 1 specie becoming into another specie?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Give me one example of observable evidence 1 specie becoming into another specie?

Sure. Two new species of Tragopogon, heliconius butterflies, the monarch flycatcher, the apple maggot fly and many others have all been observed to speciate.