• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting thought about omniscience.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
So, when you get people talking about god, and one of the people is a nonbeliever and the other is a believer, you get some interesting back and forth. One such, which I've heard multiple times, is that there is evil in the world because god is testing us. Well, the nonbeliever declares that for a being with omniscience there is no need for testing anything, as something that knows everything already knows what's going to happen. I actually agree with this logic(though I'm open to other explanations and ideas) but it actually created a little thought I had.

Now, for my thought we are going to simply presume that there is a god, and that god has omniscience. Now, what occurred is kind of just a little bit of a mind bender. The idea is that maybe we, in this existence, don't actually exist. We are simply either the, or a, logical progression of the knowledge that an omniscient being would have. Essentially, we exist, or not, depending on how you look at it, as a thought of an omniscient being, as it asks a particular question. We don't know the question, but it can't be a great one, as if it were something like "what would a universe with only happiness be like?" I can only imagine this would be a very different existence, lol.

So, what do you guys think? Makes sense or utter hogwash? Got any weird or kooky ideas of your own? Share!

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
We're in cocoons. There's lots of wing-wringing as we work our ways out.

The light of Day will be what it is.

b.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So, when you get people talking about god, and one of the people is a nonbeliever and the other is a believer, you get some interesting back and forth. One such, which I've heard multiple times, is that there is evil in the world because god is testing us. Well, the nonbeliever declares that for a being with omniscience there is no need for testing anything, as something that knows everything already knows what's going to happen. I actually agree with this logic(though I'm open to other explanations and ideas) but it actually created a little thought I had.

Now, for my thought we are going to simply presume that there is a god, and that god has omniscience. Now, what occurred is kind of just a little bit of a mind bender. The idea is that maybe we, in this existence, don't actually exist. We are simply either the, or a, logical progression of the knowledge that an omniscient being would have. Essentially, we exist, or not, depending on how you look at it, as a thought of an omniscient being, as it asks a particular question. We don't know the question, but it can't be a great one, as if it were something like "what would a universe with only happiness be like?" I can only imagine this would be a very different existence, lol.

So, what do you guys think? Makes sense or utter hogwash? Got any weird or kooky ideas of your own? Share!

Do you mean that God is unable to think about an hypothetical scenario without conjuring it into existence ?

Jumi

Maybe like a scientist testing to see if the genetically engineered rats can escape a maze?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you mean that God is unable to think about an hypothetical scenario without conjuring it into existence ?

Are you assuming that there is God and there is thought? Wouldn't an omniscient Deity be the thought as well as the thinker?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

God created a world, that still exists today, with no suffering, no challenges, no grief, no evil.. for jellyfish, and hence no joy, love, goodness either. would you trade? me neither..

lunakilo

So, when you get people talking about god, and one of the people is a nonbeliever and the other is a believer, you get some interesting back and forth. One such, which I've heard multiple times, is that there is evil in the world because god is testing us. Well, the nonbeliever declares that for a being with omniscience there is no need for testing anything, as something that knows everything already knows what's going to happen.
God could be testing us with the purpose of teaching us something. God already knows the outcome of the test of course, but we don't ;)
I actually agree with this logic(though I'm open to other explanations and ideas) but it actually created a little thought I had.

I am a figment of God's imagination...

I like your idea. :)

Demonslayer

Maybe like a scientist testing to see if the genetically engineered rats can escape a maze?

An omniscient scientist would know before he out the rats in the maze, not only if they would be able to escape, but exactly what route they would take, how long it would take them, and exactly how many rat poops the rats would leave behind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've been thru this before on RF.
Free will is incompatible with omniscience.
Why?
The omniscient one (call'm Bob) would know the choices we make in advance.
Testing us would therefore be unnecessary.

Demonslayer

Why?

I offer up my prayers to this Bob. The one true Bob shall save us all.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Why?

By that rationale, it is unnecessary to make a kid sit any test , attempt any challenge they can't master first time!

i.e., the tests are for our benefit. for us to learn what we need to do better

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By that rationale, it is unnecessary to make a kid sit any test , attempt any challenge they can't master first time!
i.e., the tests are for our benefit. for us to learn what we need to do better
This would mean that Bob isn't omniscient.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
We're humans, we make our kids take tests because we don't know the outcome.

This would mean that Bob isn't omniscient.

Not at all, Bob the piano teacher, knows we will fail to play the scale correctly first time.

He also knows we will succeed if we try long enough.

So Bob is testing us for our benefit, so we can learn to play more like him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
yes, and being tested, having free will, is integral to that destiny
But there is no testing.
Bob knows the results in advance.
Instead of calling it "testing", perhaps it should be "programming".

Since Bob knows all future results of his ant farm meddling, why would he do this?
It looks pointless.