• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Mormon now, should I still take Catholic communion?

There are people who are not in perfect communion with Rome who are allowed to take Catholic communion. Members of some Greek Orthodox churches, for example, are permitted to receive the Eucharist. There are also religious orders within the Catholic Church that have their own series of revelations -- such as Opus Dei -- who are in full communion with Rome.

I believe in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a church with its own set of Christian revelations, but that doesn't deny the original Christian Bible. I believe the Catholic priesthood can be traced back to Jesus, but I believe that the priesthood of Christ was set up a second time in the LDS church. Can I still be in communion with Rome and receive the Eucharist even though I've been baptized by the Mormon church? It's sort of like a Greek Orthodox member or Opus Dei member receiving communion, don't you think?

I asked one priest and he said he wasn't sure. I asked another priest and he said I shouldn't take it. I'm thinking of asking a third priest. I really want to take Catholic communion! That is the church I was born in and it means a lot to me, even though I have converted to Mormonism.

VitoOFMCap

Greetings. I will attempt to answer this as pastorally as possible.

The sacrament of the Eucharist is, for those who believe, the divine presence of Jesus in the bread and wine. Catholics are not the only ones who have this belief. This is why Catholics may receive Communion at, say, a Greek or Russian Orthodox Church. And vice versa. Groups such as Opus Dei, the Focolare Movement, or orders such as mine are a part of the Roman Catholic Church. They haven chosen a consecrated life, but they are in full communion because those groups have been seen by bishops (including the Pope, the bishop of Rome) as uniquely living the Gospel message.

You yourself used the word "communion" to describe the Eucharist, and that is a good way to say it! This sacrament is the coming together of faithful to remember the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. This is why the Mass is so important. Liturgy, or liturgia means the work of the people. The Eucharist is the focus of this liturgical celebration, and it is done for and with the worshiping community. Eucharist is not a symbol of Jesus' Last Supper, it is a divine presence in the remembrance, and the community gave authority for presbyters to do this.

You choose not to celebrate with this community. I'm not making a value judgement, just that you identify as a Latter-Day Saint. I also don't know much of the LDS faith, however I'm quite sure they don't claim the Nicene Creed...something that the Orthodox, Coptic, Chaldean, and other Eastern churches do. This is important because, as believers, we identify as One church.

I give you this long answer because as a Latino, I recognize the cultural and familial ties can connect us to faith. My aunt (actually my Godmother) converted to 7th Day Adventist, but still has images of the Virgen de Guadalupe. However she has chosen a worship community that is not a part of the Catholic church. Again, it's not a judgement call, just a reality of where she's at.

Therefore the question is one you ought to reflect on: if you are connected to the divine presence in the sacrament of Communion, why would you choose not to be a part of the community that worships and remembers Jesus in this way? (You don't have to answer here, I'm sure you have reasons for your faith journey). I never want to limit someone from experiencing Jesus. However as a member of the Catholic Church, your participation in the faith is not requirement for receiving communion, it is the impetus for priests to consecrate and share communion. por nuestra bien y el de toda su santa Iglesia.If you follow another church, then does that make Eucharist a symbol? And if it is only a symbol for you, then are you in communion with the priest and the worshipers who are celebrating the memory and presence of Jesus in the bread and wine?

I hope this helps. As a final note, I'd be interested if you've asked elders in your faith tradition about your question.

Norman

Defender of Truth
There are people who are not in perfect communion with Rome who are allowed to take Catholic communion. Members of some Greek Orthodox churches, for example, are permitted to receive the Eucharist. There are also religious orders within the Catholic Church that have their own series of revelations -- such as Opus Dei -- who are in full communion with Rome.

I believe in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a church with its own set of Christian revelations, but that doesn't deny the original Christian Bible. I believe the Catholic priesthood can be traced back to Jesus, but I believe that the priesthood of Christ was set up a second time in the LDS church. Can I still be in communion with Rome and receive the Eucharist even though I've been baptized by the Mormon church? It's sort of like a Greek Orthodox member or Opus Dei member receiving communion, don't you think?

I asked one priest and he said he wasn't sure. I asked another priest and he said I shouldn't take it. I'm thinking of asking a third priest. I really want to take Catholic communion! That is the church I was born in and it means a lot to me, even though I have converted to Mormonism.

Norman: Hi hispanicmormon, welcome to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have been a member for thirty years now. You would partake of the Sacrament in Church. You need to now embrace the LDS ways, teachings and to follow the teachings of our Prophet and Apostles. I suggest that you counsel with your Bishop if you have any other concerns. God Bless You.

4consideration

Premium Member
Norman: Hi hispanicmormon, welcome to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have been a member for thirty years now. You would partake of the Sacrament in Church. You need to now embrace the LDS ways, teachings and to follow the teachings of our Prophet and Apostles. I suggest that you counsel with your Bishop if you have any other concerns. God Bless You.
This thread is in the Catholic DIR.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
This is why Catholics may receive Communion at, say, a Greek or Russian Orthodox Church. And vice versa. .

Although I wish this were true, it doesn't go both ways. As eastern orthodox, I can receive communion at a catholic church, but none of the eastern orthodox churches I'm aware of would allow a catholic to receive communion.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

As a Mormon, you have accepted teachings that are wholly incompatible with Catholicism. You should only take Catholic communion if you wish to affirm everything that Catholicism teaches, and if you wish to unite yourself to the Catholic Church.

*Disclaimer: Speaking as one who was Catholic for some years.*

Although I wish this were true, it doesn't go both ways. As eastern orthodox, I can receive communion at a catholic church, but none of the eastern orthodox churches I'm aware of would allow a catholic to receive communion.
And if you did receive communion in the Catholic Church as an Orthodox Christian in any case other than a life-threatening emergency (often the case in the Middle East these days), you would be barred from communion in the Orthodox Church until you got stuff sorted out with your Orthodox priest and possibly your bishop... A Catholic could probably take communion from an Orthodox priest in the case of a medical emergency as well, perhaps provided they gave a confession of faith.

VitoOFMCap

I was at an Orthodox church in Pittsburgh with 6 other Catholics. We were invited to receive Eucharist. As a Franciscan friar, my habit makes it plainly visible that I am a Roman Catholic. I'm not trying to disprove your overall argument, however there is an understanding the RCC has made in this regard. It exists in our Code of Canon Law.

Also, I think this is getting off-topic. =)

4consideration

Premium Member
Norman: I could not find this question in the Catholic Dir. Everyone seems to be responding in this thread to the OP.
What I meant was that this thread was placed (is located) in the Catholic DIR.

The Catholic DIR is meant for discussion among Catholics, and non-Catholics are limited to asking respectful questions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Evening.

There are a few issues with taking communion in a Catholic Church. In other Churches that do not have sacred sacraments, such as Baptist, Pentecostal, and so forth you can take communion because they see most Christians a part of one communion.

In any type of Catholic Church, you must take all the sacraments of the Church to receive Communion. Have you taken the sacraments of the Catholic Church itself or only mormon?

If you were specifically baptized in the name of the Father, the Son,a and the Holy Spirit then the Church will accept that. However, I believe Mormon's do not believe Jesus is God; so, they do not accept Baptism from some Churches that conflict with their teachings/sacraments.

If you have received all the sacraments of the Catholic Church and went to Mormonism, then no you cannot take the Eucharist. That is similar to having your feet on either side of the fence. I don't believe Mormon sees the Eucharist as Jesus blood and body (literally)? If not, no you cannot take communion.

If the Church accepts Mormon baptisms, you have to show them a copy of your baptismal papers. If you are not part of the Church; you cannot take communion in the Church. (Other Churches, yes)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I can't remember when, but Roman Catholic started letting Orthodox receive communion. I don't know if Rome is Eastern Orthodox or not?

edit: Roman Catholics let Orthodox take communion at Easter and Christmas. Normal Mass, I don't think so. Here is what I found (for you and for hispanicmormon)

Other Christians and Communion
The guidelines for receiving Communion, which are issued by the U.S. bishops and published in many missalettes, explain, "We welcome our fellow Christians to this celebration of the Eucharist as our brothers and sisters. We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ’s prayer for us ‘that they may all be one’ (John 17:21).

"Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law. . . . "

Scripture is clear that partaking of the Eucharist is among the highest signs of Christian unity: "Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread" (1 Cor. 10:17). For this reason, it is normally impossible for non-Catholic Christians to receive Holy Communion, for to do so would be to proclaim a unity to exist that, regrettably, does not.

Another reason that many non-Catholics may not ordinarily receive Communion is for their own protection, since many reject the doctrine of the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Scripture warns that it is very dangerous for one not believing in the Real Presence to receive Communion: "For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died" (1 Cor. 11:29–30).

Possible exceptions

However, there are circumstances when non-Catholics may receive Communion from a Catholic priest. This is especially the case when it comes to Eastern Orthodox Christians, who share the same faith concerning the nature of the sacraments:

"Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the oriental churches which do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask on their own for the sacraments and are properly disposed. This holds also for members of other churches, which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition as the oriental churches as far as these sacraments are concerned" (CIC 844 § 3).

Christians in these churches should, of course, respect their own church’s guidelines regarding when it would be permissible for them to receive Communion in a Catholic church.

The circumstances in which Protestants are permitted to receive Communion are more limited, though it is still possible for them to do so under certain specifically defined circumstances.

Canon law explains the parameters: "If the danger of death is present or other grave necessity, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or the conference of bishops, Catholic ministers may licitly administer these sacraments to other Christians who do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and on their own ask for it, provided they manifest Catholic faith in these sacraments and are properly disposed" (CIC 844 § 4).

It is important to remember that, under the rubrics specified above, even in those rare circumstances when non-Catholics are able to receive Communion, the same requirements apply to them as to Catholics.
Non-Christians and Communion
The U.S. bishops’ guidelines for receiving Communion state, "We also welcome to this celebration those who do not share our faith in Jesus Christ. While we cannot admit them to Communion, we ask them to offer their prayers for the peace and the unity of the human family."

Because they have not received baptism, the gateway to the other sacraments, non-Christians cannot receive Communion. However, in emergency situations, they can be received into the Church via baptism, even if no priest is present, and an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may bring them Communion as Viaticum.
Who Can Receive Communion? | Catholic Answers

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

If you have left the Catholic Church for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints then you should not receive the Eucharist until and unless you go to Confession. Leaving the Catholic Church for another religion is considered to be gravely sinful by the Catholic Church and people who are in a state of mortal sin are forbidden from receiving Holy Communion. Keep in mind that three conditions have to be met for a sin to be mortal though:

1. Grave matter. The sin must be objectively grave.
  2. Full and deliberate consent of the will which means you had to choose to do it without coercion. Also, some mental illnesses diminish full and deliberate consent of the will.
  3. Full knowledge meaning you have to have known that it was grave matter before you committed the sin.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If you were specifically baptized in the name of the Father, the Son,a and the Holy Spirit then the Church will accept that. However, I believe Mormon's do not believe Jesus is God; so, they do not accept Baptism from some Churches that conflict with their teachings/sacraments.
Quick comment. Mormons do believe Jesus is God. They just don't believe He is the same individual as God the Father. They baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. The Catholic Church, however, does not accept this baptism. I've always been told, though, that Catholicism teaches that if you were ever baptized Catholic, you are forever Catholic. If I'm right about that, how would that figure in here?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. For example, I would be, rather, technically "not Catholic" if I go to my home parish and fill out some paper work with the priest to "divorce" myself with the Church sacraments. If someone is Catholic and hasn't came to the Church in over four or so years, they have to renew their vows to Christ by retaking the sacraments (excluding baptism). Other than that, once Catholic always Catholic.

I've always been told, though, that Catholicism teaches that if you were ever baptized Catholic, you are forever Catholic. If I'm right about that, how would that figure in here?

Last edited:

VitoOFMCap

That's not entirely accurate.

Confirmation is only imparted once, same as Baptism. Technically, a Catholic need only go to the sacrament of Reconciliation to come back into the fold. One might think: "That seems easy." Well, it is and it isn't.

A priest will most likely want to discuss the situation with the individual. Why did the person leave? Why are they coming back? What were the factors involved? How can that person be nourished as to not leave again? Part of the priest's role as spiritual leader is to help people in their faith journey. So maybe they recommend RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) classes or a prayer group for returning Catholics. Perhaps there are questions that need to be explained, wounds that need to be healed. But the guiding principle, as I have been taught, is that as Christians we rejoice in finding the lost sheep, or welcoming the prodigal son (or daughter, if it's the case).

In this sense @Carlita is correct: once Catholic always Catholic.

Norman

Defender of Truth
What I meant was that this thread was placed (is located) in the Catholic DIR.

The Catholic DIR is meant for discussion among Catholics, and non-Catholics are limited to asking respectful questions.

Norman: Hi 4consideration, ok, I will just let this question go. Thank you for further explanation.

NurseGuy

Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I think I have a good understanding of this:

No, you should not take the Eucharist at a Catholic church. I presume you are now a baptized LDS, and believe in LDS teachings, and are "active" LDS. If so, you are no longer in communion with the Catholic Church, and as mentioned, converting to another religion is a grave sin that places you out of communion with the Catholic Church. "Once a Catholic, always a Catholic" means that for Catholics, baptism leaves an "indelible" mark on the soul, that can never be undone (in contrast, LDS practice re-baptism for those that are excommunicated). If someone leaves the Catholic Church and desires to return, they would not have to be re-baptized, but would have to participate in the sacrament of Reconciliation. Converting to another religion places you out of communion with the Catholic Church, and you would need to confess your sin before being admitted to the Eucharist (i.e. you'd need to be back in communion with the Church first). I assume you don't view converting to Mormonism as being a sin, therefore you would remain out of communion with the Catholic Church, in a state of mortal sin (from the Catholic perspective), and therefore not eligible to receive the Eucharist.

This is further compounded by what the LDS Church actually teaches, which is that there was a Great Apostasy, a total apostasy of the Church that Jesus Christ established 2000 years ago, which necessitated a restoration through Joseph Smith in the 1800s. They believe that only the LDS church has valid priesthood authority (and therefore only LDS can validly baptize, confirm, etc). Mormonism by definition therefore rejects any possibility that Catholicism has a valid priesthood. Such a belief is of course completely incompatible with Catholicism, which teaches that the Church that Jesus established 2000 years ago has continued to exist from that time to now, and is the Catholic Church. LDS also do not hold to the belief in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. There are various other uniquely LDS beliefs that are incompatible with Catholicism (fundamental beliefs), such as the rejection of the orthodox Trinity, but the ones already mentioned are enough to point out why you as a now LDS should not receive sacraments in the Catholic Church (whether from the Catholic perspective or the LDS one).

The Catholic Church restricts communion to Catholics that are in a state of grace. Exceptions are made for the Eastern Orthodox, because, although they are in schism, they still have, in the Catholic view, valid priestly orders, and valid sacraments, with valid apostolic succession. This is not the same with the LDS.

NurseGuy

Quick comment. Mormons do believe Jesus is God. They just don't believe He is the same individual as God the Father. They baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. The Catholic Church, however, does not accept this baptism. I've always been told, though, that Catholicism teaches that if you were ever baptized Catholic, you are forever Catholic. If I'm right about that, how would that figure in here?

Just to be clear, Catholics and those that believe in the orthodox Trinity don't believe that Jesus is the same individual as God the Father. That would be the ancient heresy known as "modalism". The Catholic belief is that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons who are not each other.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

254The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is Triune.