• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're against birth control, you're for abortion

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A recent study from Colorado confirms what we already knew: access to contraception dramatically reduces teen pregnancy, abortions, and poverty:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...nancies-is-a-startling-success.html?referrer=

... which leads me to ask: if you're against birth control, exactly how are you "pro-life"?

So if I'm fine with birth control being "pro-life" is ok?

No, that's weird. In both cases you are preventing life. That would seem more of a contradiction in thinking.

Kids are great, how can anybody be anti-kid?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Or people can just learn how to ****ing control themselves instead of speading their legs and throwing sperm around like animals in heat. But that's too much to ask for in a society like this. You can't try to cheat nature. She'll always win. She has millions of years of evolution on your ***.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
which leads me to ask: if you're against birth control, exactly how are you "pro-life"?
I'll quote the CCC, since it is largely the Catholic Church which holds out on the immorality of contraception.
1759 "An evil action cannot be justified by reference to a good intention" (cf. St. Thomas Aquinas, Dec. praec. 6). The end does not justify the means.

The procreative function is an inherent aspect of the sexual act, we cannot use artificial means to frustrate that teleological reality. As far as we're concerned, consent to sex is consent to the possibility of pregnancy. The marriage institution exists explicitly to facilitate the realities of the sexual function in the bringing about of children.

Of course I know most are not going to heed the Church on this, but the truth is the truth regardless of how many want to ignore it. But it is ignored at the at the risk of the immortal soul. Consequentialist argumentation does not justify the inherently immoral.

Last edited by a moderator:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'll quote the CCC, since it is largely the Catholic Church which holds out on the immorality of contraception.

Not really.
The men who have taken vows of chastity hold onto teachings about contraception. But most US Catholics don't.

The Catholic Church is a large and diverse organization.
Tom

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
>

Not if you support abstinence before marriage. God forbid such a crazy notion today! But of course birth control is better than unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

JoStories

The procreative function is an inherent aspect of the sexual act, we cannot use artificial means to frustrate that teleological reality. As far as we're concerned, consent to sex is consent to the possibility of pregnancy. The marriage institution exists explicitly to facilitate the realities of the sexual function in the bringing about of children.

Of course I know most are not going to heed the Church in this, but the truth is the truth regardless of how many want to ignore it. But it is ignored at the at the risk of the immortal soul. Consequentialist argumentation does not justify the inherently immoral.
So using birth control is going to get someone sent to hell? You are kidding me, correct? What about women who are not married and don;t want ot have children yet. Oh right, sex outside marriage gets one sent to hell as well. We might as well live in monasteries for pete's sake, at least in terms of your religion.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A recent study from Colorado confirms what we already knew: access to contraception dramatically reduces teen pregnancy, abortions, and poverty:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...nancies-is-a-startling-success.html?referrer=

... which leads me to ask: if you're against birth control, exactly how are you "pro-life"?

It seems to me that this study is a bit simplistic. Birth control and abortion are much more complicated than it suggests here. The study doesn't confirm anything to me. For one thing, the same people who are pro-life are usually abstinent before marriage, as well, which means they won't get pregnant outside of a marriage unless they are sexually assaulted. There are a lot of people, including Christians who do have sexual relations before marriage, but would probably get married if they did get pregnant while doing so (can't really say for sure, though)
There's a lot more to it, of course, I can't really get into a lot of details without making this post way too long.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The men who have taken vows of chastity hold onto teachings about contraception. But most US Catholics don't.
It's no secret that many live in open defiance of the Church's ruling on this. But they will answer for it when they stand before God.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
>

Not if you support abstinence before marriage. God forbid such a crazy notion today! But of course birth control is better than unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

A notion so ineffective that even its loudest proponents cough Bristol Palin! cough cough can't even stick to it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not if you support abstinence before marriage.

You don't have to require abstinence before marriage.
People can have sex that doesn't risk pregnancy. People can have potentially fertile sex, using both diaphragms or something and condoms. If they are willing to take the tiny chance of pregnancy, they have the right. But if they wind up pregnant, they have made the Choice. Normal consequences to follow.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's no secret that many live in open defiance of the Church's ruling on this. But they will answer for it when they stand before God.

So, who is the Church?
The cardinals in the ivory towers, or the hundreds of millions?
Tom