• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I Will Pray for You"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When someone says "I'll pray for you", there are two possibilities. One is that you're sick or something, and a caring person wants to pray for you. This is wonderful, and I would fully accept the prayers. The second, and much more common possibility, as that "I'll pray for you" essentially equates to "you're a lost cause/evil/stupid/etc and only god can help you". There's nothing friendly about that.

I can't say I've ever had anyone use this supposedly "common" possibility, nor can I think of anyone I know who has.

Draka

Wonder Woman
When someone says "I'll pray for you", there are two possibilities. One is that you're sick or something, and a caring person wants to pray for you. This is wonderful, and I would fully accept the prayers. The second, and much more common possibility, as that "I'll pray for you" essentially equates to "you're a lost cause/evil/stupid/etc and only god can help you". There's nothing friendly about that.
I simply don't see it as the "much more common" possibility. I see people saying that they will pray for others a lot, and just about every single time it has to do with some kind of hardship. The disdainful one is usually in the minority when it comes to it being said. Yes, it can be said how you describe, and it is insulting, it just isn't the norm by far.

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
It does evoke an emotional reaction if it said by a believer of my former denomination, but I'm aware of it and can differentiate between someone's sincere concern, which I do appreciate, and a mere mental association with the people who have actually done harm, personally. I'd agree that more often than not it is an expression of genuine good will.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You guys have had some lucky experiences, then!
I don't think it is we having lucky experiences at all, but normal ones. Perhaps it is you that have just been unlucky. Perhaps it has more to do with what you put off to people that makes them react so?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I don't think it is we having lucky experiences at all, but normal ones. Perhaps it is you that have just been unlucky. Perhaps it has more to do with what you put off to people that makes them react so?

Quite possibly. People like me certainly don't tend to be popular amongst the folks who generally pray.

dust1n

Zindīq
I accept such prayer, and then prayer the exact opposite of their prayers, and then put the onus on God.

4consideration

Premium Member
In my experience, it is most common, that when people tell me they'll pray for me, it's a welcome and appreciated expression of care/concern/love/goodwill.

I do have to say, though, that I have experienced the rare occasion, when I felt the expression of "I'll pray for you" was meant actually expressing this, "You're going to hell for not believe/doing like me. I'll pray for you, because you are so wrong."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my experience, it is most common, that when people tell me they'll pray for me, it's a welcome and appreciated expression of care/concern/love/goodwill.

I do have to say, though, that I have experienced the rare occasion, when I felt the expression of "I'll pray for you" was meant actually expressing this, "You're going to hell for not believe/doing like me. I'll pray for you, because you are so wrong."
I can always tell the intention of a prayer offering.
If it's followed by an offer of a sammich, then it's sincere.

Sometimes I get people asking me to pray for them, as in "I've got a job interview tomorrow, pray for me ya".

This always confuses me, I'm not sure if I should say "of course", or "I wish you the best of luck". :grimacing:

It should probably be the former, but I usually go with the latter.

freethinker44

To me it's only offensive if someone knows I'm an atheist. And the degree of offense taken would depend on how religious they are. For example, I might post about a problem on Facebook (I would actually never do that), and my casually religious family would offer prayers even though they all know I'm an atheist. Not really offensive, more of a "seriously?" moment. But I've known more fanatical religious people where whatever your problem is, the first and foremost thing is that you get right with god and then you worry about your problems. When those people know I'm atheist and offer prayers it's incredibly offensive because they aren't offering prayers to help ease my pain and suffering, they're offering prayers that I "let god into my heart".

4consideration

Premium Member
Perhaps if people performed more concrete meaningful actions they would not feel a need to pray for things.
Possibly. But often, I think prayers are used to send love in situations where there's not a physical action one can do.

For example, if someone close to me tells me their feet hurt, I might offer to do something, like rub their feet to relieve the pain. However, if they tell me they are having surgery, I'll offer prayers, instead of picking up a scalpel.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I either ignore such gestures, or tell people not to bother.
Religious therapists, allowed by my parents, have said such things to me.
Of course, I was rather flippant. Such an attitude has been maintained.
Good gesture or not.

Deidre

When I had an atheistic stance in the beginning, I thought of people offering prayers as insulting, as if I needed 'saving.' But, over time, I realized it was from a good place. Coming back to faith now, I say it only on occasion (doing it is more valuable than saying it imo lol), but not often because I remember how it felt when I heard it.

4consideration

Premium Member
Plus, it is unwise to underestimate the power of thoughts and ideas. Just knowing there is someone out there who cares about you is kind of a big deal. Or at least I think it is. :D
I think it's a big deal, too.

I actually think there's more to it than just knowing someone cares and is expressing that love. (I think love is a power, and that something real is sent, that can be felt -- but I don't want to derail the thread with that conversation.)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Possibly. But often, I think prayers are used to send love in situations where there's not a physical action one can do.

For example, if someone close to me tells me their feet hurt, I might offer to do something, like rub their feet to relieve the pain. However, if they tell me they are having surgery, I'll offer prayers, instead of picking up a scalpel.
I understand that much, 4consideration, but in psychological terms I am wary of how people interpret the sentiments expressed in prayer. In some terms, saying, "Pray for them" or "I'll pray for you" can reinforce a sense of hopelessness or powerlessness due to the idea that ones only chance to better their situation is through divine intervention. I have someone close to me at this moment who just underwent surgery and though she is in my thoughts, and she knows it, it simply would never have occurred to me to resort to something as superficial as praying.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Plus, it is unwise to underestimate the power of thoughts and ideas. Just knowing there is someone out there who cares about you is kind of a big deal. Or at least I think it is. :D

True. Luckily it seems to outweigh the negativity of the people constantly aware of the fact you're going to burn in hell.