• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I see no value in atheism

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When was the term "weak atheist" coined? Why is it a necessary term? If it is important for theists to distinguish this group of people, why put them under the umbrella af "atheism" at all? Why associate people who are unsure and people to whom belief is inapplicable with atheism? Why associate agnostics with atheists? Why associate rocks and babies with atheism?

I suspect there is comfort in numbers.

Given this failure to carry their burden of proof, I am surprised so many "weak atheists" are in the camp lobbying for this broad definition of atheism.

Still comfort in numbers.

I think the term is or should be insignificant to atheists. My intent would be to express the understanding that I don't believe in the concepts of a God. No need to try to classify others folks by it since it'd just be a term to explain my position. Not really my intent to explain someone else's.

I can describe a baby as an atheist, that's still my position. Has nothing to do with the baby's own position.

Seems more significant to theists but does that really say anything about them other than they believe in some concept of God? Atheists don't necessarily agree on anything else and neither do theists.

If babies popped out of the womb claiming to be atheists, then maybe you'd have something to worry about.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
:) If you divide the population of the world into theists and not theists and remove the theists, who do you have left?
But this is not a sound proposition.....in the middle there are neither...there are those who have never heard of God and non-dualists...

It's like dividing the world between Big Bang believers and disbelievers...in the middle are neither...there are those who have never heard of the big bang, and those who don't have an opinion....

Btw...if the absurd implicit atheist definition is to be considered valid.....then the principle is also valid for those who have never heard of the bib bang and they would automatically be implicit big bang disbelievers...

The mind bogles...the world is full implicit every disbelief existing.... big foot, aliens, moon landing, round earth, elvis is dead.......

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So you do not call theists persons?
What do you call them?
I said they were persons....the 'nuts' part is relevant to the attempt to give credence to the concept of implicit atheists as those people who have never heard of the concept f god, yet disbelieve in god...

As I replied to ArtieE..if this definition of implicit atheists is to be considered valid...then it applies to every disbelief in existence where people who have never heard of such things as...big bang, moon landings, etc.. could be automatically be considered implicit big bang disbelievers, etc.. .. it's nuts...

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
But this is not a sound proposition.....in the middle there are neither...there are those who have never heard of God and non-dualists...

It's like dividing the world between Big Bang believers and disbelievers...in the middle are neither...there are those who have never heard of the big bang, and those who don't have an opinion....

Btw...if the absurd implicit atheist definition is to be considered valid.....then the principle is also valid for those who have never heard of the bib bang and they would automatically be implicit big bang disbelievers...

The mind bogles...the world is full implicit every disbelief existing.... big foot, aliens, moon landing, round earth, elvis is dead.......
your inability to understand the difference between not believing and disbelieving is making your posts the most comical in the thread..
Unfortunately, it also makes you sound like an idiot.

McBell

I said they were persons....the 'nuts' part is relevant to the attempt to give credence to the concept of implicit atheists as those people who have never heard of the concept f god, yet disbelieve in god...

As I replied to ArtieE..if this definition of implicit atheists is to be considered valid...then it applies to every disbelief in existence where people who have never heard of such things as...big bang, moon landings, etc.. could be automatically be considered implicit big bang disbelievers, etc.. .. it nuts...

There is a difference between lacking a belief and disbelieving.
Your inability to understand that fact is unfortunate.

outhouse

Atheistically
there are those who have never heard of the big bang, and those who don't have an opinion....

So what. Its not he same thing. These hypothetical people you created do not hold the same belief as those who think the BB did happen.

As to where implicit and explicit atheist have the SAME EXACT CONCLUSION, as neither believe in a god.

It's like dividing the world between Big Bang believers and disbelievers

No it Is not "like"

implicit and explicit atheist have the SAME EXACT CONCLUSION, as neither believe in a god.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
your inability to understand the difference between not believing and disbelieving is making your posts the most comical in the thread..
Unfortunately, it also makes you sound like an idiot.
It's easy to make the claim that I do not understand, it is another proving it...

So please explain explicitly where my understanding is in error...be rational and methodical...

outhouse

Atheistically
Btw...if the absurd implicit atheist definition is to be considered valid

If you like, you can go to the encyclopedia website and argue with them, you might be able to change the definition. Until then it is a valid description.

McBell

It's easy to make the claim that I do not understand, it is another proving it...

So please explain explicitly where my understanding is in error...be rational and methodical...
Is there a difference between lacking a belief in something and disbelieving something?

McBell

I am, of course, assuming you do not understand there is a difference.

it is possible you are just being dishonest.

So perhaps we should figure out which before we proceed?

Shad

Veteran Member
Ok...that's enough of this strawman strawman diversion...

Not a diversion, just clarification of justification. This justification forms the basis of a positive claim versus standing by the Null Hypothesis. Something you seem to be unable to comprehend

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If you like, you can go to the encyclopedia website and argue with them, you might be able to change the definition. Until then it is a valid description.
Do you understand the meaning of the word implicit?

1..Implied though not directly expressed; inherent in the nature of something
2. Being without doubt or reserve

This meaning of implicit when used as an adjective with atheist just means a person whose belief system is not theistic...not someone who is not aware of the concept of God....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I am, of course, assuming you do not understand there is a difference.

it is possible you are just being dishonest.

So perhaps we should figure out which before we proceed?
Well yes I do understand the difference, but do you understand the meaning of the word implicit?

1..Implied though not directly expressed; inherent in the nature of something
2. Being without doubt or reserve

This meaning of implicit when used as an adjective with atheist just means a person whose belief system is not theistic...not someone who is not aware of the concept of God....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Not a diversion, just clarification of justification. This justification forms the basis of a positive claim versus standing by the Null Hypothesis. Something you seem to be unable to comprehend
fine...whatever...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Does it have the same exact definition as implicit atheism?
If I understand the meaning of the concept of 'implicit' and the meaning of the concept of 'atheist', the meaning of 'implicit atheist' is obvious...what is the direct quote from your source of the definition of implicit atheist...and please provide a link...?.

Last edited: