• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Human animals"

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Without in any way endorsing the horrible rape, murder and kidnapping Hamas has done, I was shocked to my very core by the Israeli Defense Minister calling the inhabitants of Gaza "human animals", the same expression the Nazis used for the Jews. https://doi.org/10.1080/21567689.2018.1425144 And the cutting off of everything from Gaza impacting everyone therein reminds me of the Warsaw Ghetto obliteration by the Nazis. The words and deeds by the Israeli government in attempting to starve all the innocent people in Gaza far far exceeds the atrocities Hamas has committed. The entire world should condemn the Israeli government for acting like Nazis.

"I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed,” Gallant says following an assessment at the IDF Southern Command in Beersheba.

“We are fighting human animals and we are acting accordingly,” he adds.
Defense minister announces ‘complete siege’ of Gaza: No power, food or fuel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Without in any way endorsing the horrible rape, murder and kidnapping Hamas has done, I was shocked to my very core by the Israeli Defense Minister calling the inhabitants of Gaza "human animals", the same expression the Nazis used for the Jews. https://doi.org/10.1080/21567689.2018.1425144 And the cutting off of everything from Gaza impacting everyone therein reminds me of the Warsaw Ghetto obliteration by the Nazis. The words and deeds by the Israeli government in attempting to starve all the innocent people in Gaza far far exceeds the atrocities Hamas has committed. The entire world should condemn the Israeli government for acting like Nazis.

"I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed,” Gallant says following an assessment at the IDF Southern Command in Beersheba.

“We are fighting human animals and we are acting accordingly,” he adds.
Defense minister announces ‘complete siege’ of Gaza: No power, food or fuel
Well....that portends more cycles of oppression, retribution,
vengeance, oppression, retribution, & on & on & on. God's
Chosen People vs The Religion Of Peace vs Christ's Disciples.

calling the inhabitants of Gaza "human animals", the same expression the Nazis used for the Jews...

“We are fighting human animals and we are acting accordingly,” he adds

Their declared enemy is Hamas, so the "human animals" they are fighting would be Hamas, not "inhabitants of Gaza".

Onasander

Their declared enemy is Hamas, so the "human animals" they are fighting would be Hamas, not "inhabitants of Gaza".
When you shut down water access to everyone in Gaza, it's everyone in Gaza who is a target. Israel is violating Just War Theory. Civilians shouldn't be the target. They aren't even trying to hide this.

vulcanlogician

Contrary to what you usually post, I don't think what you've said here is all that meaningful, useful, or correct.

I believe in the right for Israel to have a secure state. But I don't agree with everything they do, and I think this particular statement reflects a problematic attitude, an attitude that makes things worse and ought to be discouraged. Whether it is directed at Hamas, the citizens in Gaza, (or any other group of human beings for that matter), such an attitude does more harm than good.

When you shut down water access to everyone in Gaza, it's everyone in Gaza who is a target. Israel is violating Just War Theory. Civilians shouldn't be the target. They aren't even trying to hide this.

The ethics and/or likely efficacy of their response is a different question than who the term referred to.

Contrary to what you usually post, I don't think what you've said here is all that meaningful, useful, or correct.

I believe in the right for Israel to have a secure state. But I don't agree with everything they do, and I think this particular statement reflects a problematic attitude, an attitude that makes things worse and ought to be discouraged. Whether it is directed at Hamas, the citizens in Gaza, (or any other group of human beings for that matter), such an attitude does more harm than good.

Nothing there I particularly disagree with.

I also think it does more harm than good when people take somewhat ambiguous phraseology and apply the most negative possible interpretation to it until it becomes an accepted fact.

This is part of the reason why different tribes live in and experience different and mutually incompatible versions of reality.

vulcanlogician

I also think it does more harm than good when people take somewhat ambiguous phraseology and apply the most negative possible interpretation to it until it becomes an accepted fact.

Agreed. But I don't think that's what's happening here. I think someone said an ignorant thing, and that statement is being criticized. Fair game in my book. We currently live in a culture that makes mountains out of mole hills. True. But criticizing this statement (or the attitudes that cause such a statement to be made) is a good thing.

Onasander

Agreed. But I don't think that's what's happening here. I think someone said an ignorant thing, and that statement is being criticized. Fair game in my book. We currently live in a culture that makes mountains out of mole hills. True. But criticizing this statement (or the attitudes that cause such a statement to be made) is a good thing.
It's pointless virtue signaling. Hamas was acting like animals when they beheaded children. However, children are dying now from a lack of water. That's equally animalistic. The proclaimed target of the war, Hamas, is NOT all of Gaza. Israel is now committing war crimes. They don't get to claim the heat of battle or fog of war as a excuse.

I was stationed in a powerplant in Iraq. It wasn't bombed in the invasion precisely because it would be a war crime against civilians.

Some things you just don't do, and Israel is doing it. If Hamas is the declared enemy, they should fight Hamas, not all of Gaza.

vulcanlogician

It's pointless virtue signaling.

Not to get off-topic. But calling something pointless virtue signaling is its own form of pointless virtue signaling. I know that you are just expressing your ideas via contemporary nomenclature. "Virtue signaling" is a real thing that happens in modern society. And a bit too much virtue signaling is present nowadays, many of us agree.

But every time someone asks a fundamental question, or takes a given position... it ain't ALL virtue signaling. SOMETIMES, people are trying to say "x is obviously wrong." And we ought to encourage discussions about whether x is really wrong or not. Augustus has never once struck me as a "virtue signaler".... even in his post in this thread which I vehemently disagree with.