• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Abrahamic religions interpret this?

dust1n

Zindīq
13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

13:7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

13:9
But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

13:10
And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

13:11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

13:12 If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,

13:13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city,saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

13:14
Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;

13:15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

Why would this be acceptable, for a God to command, under any pretense in human history?

jonathan180iq

metaphor.jpg

Kolibri

The nation of Israel had entered into a legally binding arrangement with the Most High whereby they knowingly dedicated themselves to serve one God exclusively. Swift action taken consistently would have prevented the nation from having the apostasy spread and having the nation suffer the curses that were part of the Law. Had they actually did this and kept on doing it, the 10 tribes would never had been split off, and even if they had, they would never have been scattered by the Assyrians. Likewise Jerusalem would never have been destroyed at the hands of the Babylonians. They would never have experienced famine or drought. When you consider all the harm that came from the apostasy, the capital punishment for instigating it was reasonable.

Under the Christian arrangement, there is no longer a stoning, but a shunning. But then again, we as Christians do not live in our Promised Land; we live as temporary residents in lands under the authority of governments that are not God's Kingdom. Our situation is better in that those that we shun do not need to wait till the resurrection to repent and be welcomed back.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

13:7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

13:11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

13:12 If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,

13:13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city,saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;

13:15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

Why would this be acceptable, for a God to command, under any pretense in human history?

The first case is when an individual Jew worships and idol. The second case is where an entire town worships idols. They are put to death.
Idol worshiping is not allowed in the Jewish religion on pain of death.
What is your question?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well having been an Abrahamic, I would view my religion as an evolving understanding not married to ancient texts.

dust1n

Zindīq
The first case is when an individual Jew worships and idol. The second case is where an entire town worships idols. They are put to death.
Idol worshiping is not allowed in the Jewish religion on pain of death.
What is your question?

Sure, how could a being that would make such a commandment be considered moral, let alone, morally better than a number of religion political leaders in human history?

dust1n

Zindīq
Had they actually did this and kept on doing it, the 10 tribes would never had been split off, and even if they had, they would never have been scattered by the Assyrians. Likewise Jerusalem would never have been destroyed at the hands of the Babylonians. They would never have experienced famine or drought. When you consider all the harm that came from the apostasy, the capital punishment for instigating it was reasonable.

Ah, so had the old Israelites been more effective at killing their family and friends who ever suggested or requested or asked of them to worship any other god, they probably would have never had a famine and drought?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
By the way, could a mod replace "interrupt" with "interpret". That was a new word switch for me.
You'll probably have to send a PM to a moderator asking them to do this. Otherwise, it's likely they'll even spot this request.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Sure, how could a being that would make such a commandment be considered moral, let alone, morally better than a number of religion political leaders in human history?
Considering that morals are subjective to the time and place of a given community, I'm not sure how one would assume it logical to apply a subjective and fluid standard to an unchanging Being.

dust1n

Zindīq
Considering that morals are subjective to the time and place of a given community, I'm not sure how one would assume it logical to apply a subjective and fluid standard to an unchanging Being.

I did exclude the possibility that God has no sense of human justice.

Thana

Lady

I'm curious, Have you even looked into the Pagans of those times and what they used to practice?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'm curious, Have you even looked into the Pagans of those times and what they used to practice?

So, is that just a competition between primitive beliefs? And the prize goes to: the least murderous.

My God did not murder so many as yours, therefore He is more plausible and good. Is that so?

Ciao

- viole

Thana

Lady
So, is that just a competition between primitive beliefs?

My God did not murder so many as yours, therefore He is more plausible and good. Is that so?

Ciao

- viole

No, I never even implied that.

I just provided a different perspective. It's up to the individual as to what is and is not justifiable.

dust1n

Zindīq

Societal practices range from infanticide, genocide, conquering and enslaving people, mass rape, and also killing your children if they suggest any other god. So what other than killing your own children due to direction of one's own God was so bad about other typical pagans of the time?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No, I never even implied that.

I just provided a different perspective. It's up to the individual as to what is and is not justifiable.

You are an individual, I assume.

So, do you think it is justifaible to shun a kid from the community because his parents forgot to circumscise him?

That is what your God commanded. Is that OK?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Societal practices range from infanticide, genocide, conquering and enslaving people, mass rape, and also killing your children if they suggest any other god. So what other than killing your own children due to direction of one's own God was so bad about other typical pagans of the time?

Are you trying to say they were no different from each other?

Thana

Lady
You are an individual, I assume.

So, do you think it is justifaible to shun a kid from the community because his parents forgot to circumsise him?

That is what your God commanded. Is that OK?

Ciao

- fiole

Is it okay? Well I don't think thats for me to judge. I'm not of that culture and I don't understand it.

But honestly, there are worse things.