• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and Homosexual Marriages: Why do Christians Care?

And I don't know of any Christian businesses being closed down because their owners were not gay, or married to a person of the same sex. I don't know of any Christian businesses being closed down based on what consensual adult sexual acts their owners did or didn't do in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

I'm always in awe at how hard Liberals try to play dumb. Christian business are being forced out if the owners refuse to engage in homosexual speech. No business owner is being forced to engage in drinking, gambling, or tattoos. And, as far as I know, business are allowed to discriminate against people on the grounds of drinking, gambling, and tattoos.

Someone asked why Christians care about same sex marriage. The answer is because Christians are being forced to play a role in it. That's simple enough for anyone but a Liberal to understand.

Stalwart

Religiously, marriage is a holy thing. To say that it can be participated in by any two people other than a male and a female is sacrilege.

Politically, homosexuality is intolerable; to say that even civil unions can or should be allowed in law is to offer concession to it, and to dignify it as something other than a revolting disorder. Obviously, to propagate gay "marriage" is to take it a whole leap forward; to put the unification of man-and-man and woman-and-woman on the same level of dignity as "traditional" (read: actual, true) marriage.

I live in this society. I will also be raising children in this society. The issue of homosexuality and homosexual "marriage" is my business because it affects the world in which I live, and the society which I (we) have received from our forefathers, along with the responsibility to preserve and cultivate it. I oppose it not only on religious grounds, but in the interest of establishing and preserving a societal and communal environment which is right and ideal for my children to be raised in. To that end, I recognise the degeneracy of homosexuality as a threat to the moral integrity of my nation, and the propagation of 'homosexual interests' by political means as a plague on my society.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It was put honestly by my former friend and Roman Catholic that [she] wished that America would go back to conservative values (women in long dresses type of thing). She also wishes the U.S. government were set up with Christian values as that's how she feels everyone would be happy is through Christ.

My other friend rationalize it as we, the LGBT...community have preferences rather than sexual orientations just as straight people and all humans do. Since she considers it a preference or something you choose, and both friends consider it a sin akin to murder (my other friend said gay marriage is like murder-said it out of her mouth on the phone with me), why would they want to have two people who choose to murderer people join together in marriage to murder some more and call it a holy matrimony?

Based on how they define the LGBT community, it makes sense. Morally and all the above, it does not.
Both are sad in their own way.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Religiously, marriage is a holy thing. To say that it can be participated in by any two people other than a male and a female is sacrilege.

Politically, homosexuality is intolerable; to say that even civil unions can or should be allowed in law is to offer concession to it, and to dignify it as something other than a revolting disorder. Obviously, to propagate gay "marriage" is to take it a whole leap forward; to put the unification of man-and-man and woman-and-woman on the same level of dignity as "traditional" (read: actual, true) marriage.

I live in this society. I will also be raising children in this society. The issue of homosexuality and homosexual "marriage" is my business because it affects the world in which I live, and the society which I (we) have received from our forefathers, along with the responsibility to preserve and cultivate it. I oppose it not only on religious grounds, but in the interest of establishing and preserving a societal and communal environment which is right and ideal for my children to be raised in. To that end, I recognise the degeneracy of homosexuality as a threat to the moral integrity of my nation, and the propagation of 'homosexual interests' by political means as a plague on my society.
What a load of bull ****.
Marriage is a legal contract.

You are free to attach whatever baggage to it you want.
But stop pretending your above rant is about marriage.
It isn't.
It is about your religious baggage.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Someone asked why Christians care about same sex marriage. The answer is because Christians are being forced to play a role in it. That's simple enough for anyone but a Liberal to understand.

How is that so?

Christians have been playing a role in everything in every subject all over the world at one point or another for years. That's like saying "don't blame the parent if the child complains he is being abused" blame the child because the parent is being forced into the position by the child's complaints.

Stalwart

But stop pretending your above rant is about marriage.
It isn't.
It is about your religious baggage.

I assure you that my hatred for sexual deviancy is motivated as much by politics as religion. Necessarily, the matter of marriage is a part of this.

That said, you've asked for the Christian perspective. There it is. Why you'd then complain about it constituting 'religious baggage' (whatever that is supposed to actually mean), I do not know.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Assuming you're not trolling here I'm going to take a big chance and take you seriously---I do realize that people who think as you've describe below actually do exist. So . . . . . .

"Religiously" it is indeed a holy thing, but not all religions feel it's a sacrilege to marry two same-sex people. Or are you under the impression that the laws of the Roman Catholic Church rule the country?

Politically, homosexuality is intolerable;
What the heck does this mean? In what manner is homosexuality politically intolerable?

to say that even civil unions can or should be allowed in law is to offer concession to it, and to dignify it as something other than a revolting disorder.
Yup. :thumbsup: Is this bad? If so, why?

Obviously, to propagate gay "marriage" is to take it a whole leap forward; to put the unification of man-and-man and woman-and-woman on the same level of dignity as "traditional" (read: actual, true) marriage.
Yup. :thumbsup:Is this bad? If so, why?

I live in this society. I will also be raising children in this society. The issue of homosexuality and homosexual "marriage" is my business because it affects the world in which I live, and the society which I (we) have received from our forefathers, along with the responsibility to preserve and cultivate it.
You imply that homosexuality and homosexual marriage will adversely affect it. If so, how?

I oppose it not only on religious grounds, but in the interest of establishing and preserving a societal and communal environment which is right and ideal for my children to be raised in.
So how does homosexuality and same-sex marriages harm this "communal environment which is right and ideal for [your] children to be raised in"?

To that end, I recognise the degeneracy of homosexuality as a threat to the moral integrity of my nation, and the propagation of 'homosexual interests' by political means as a plague on my society.
What form of degeneracy does homosexuality take? And how does it threaten the moral integrity of the nation? And what are these homosexual interests that are a plague to YOUR society? You do realize, don't you that society and the nation isn't yours alone, but all its citizens? No, I didn't think so.

Inherently, Atheists should have no interest in same-sex marriage. Atheists tend to be practical and non-religious. The practical value of marriage comes mainly from reproduction, which doesn't apply to same-sex marriage. Marriage is also a religious institution. So, why are generally Atheists treating same sex-marriage as some sort of holy and practical thing that our culture must bow to? Because Atheists define themselves as anti-God.... Opposing Christian values is a way to express their Atheism.

idav

Being
Premium Member
That is, care if others engage in them?

I know homosexuality has pretty much run its course here on RF, but I can't remember this specific point having been addressed, and just to be clear I'll restate the question.

Why do Christians care that people of the same gender engage in sex, and why do they care that they marry each other. Even caring to the point of voicing their objections, and to the point of protesting?

2611245.jpg
GM_Monique.jpg

Some Christians get the strange impression that their particular denominational views on marriage belong at the county clerks office.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I like how you replied to the OP. I actually have four questions since I know most Roman Catholic views.

If you made your own personal Utopia Island and you set up the environment and people, and gave the people morals and behaviors to follow

a. How would you correct people who went against the morals and behavioral norms you placed?

b. Would you let people on your Island who do not share your same morals and behavioral norms?

My friends compared homosexuality to murder. Whether it be murder, sacrilege, or disorder,

c. If homosexual sexual orientation (not to be confused with love, lust, or unconditional love) is against your morals, how would you correct these orientation without insulting or degrading the person you are correcting?

d. How do you justify not letting someone with homosexual sexual orientation into your utopia and how is the orientation detrimental to the people living on the island?

Bonus

e. If homosexuality is an action rather than a sexual orientation how do you know who should be on your island?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Inherently, Atheists should have no interest in same-sex marriage. Atheists tend to be practical and non-religious. The practical value of marriage comes mainly from reproduction, which doesn't apply to same-sex marriage. Marriage is also a religious institution. So, why are generally Atheists treating same sex-marriage as some sort of holy and practical thing that our culture must bow to?
I didn't need to go to any church, touch any religious document, or even meet with any religious authority to obtain my marriage contract. In what way is marriage a religious institution other than some people consider it so and have supplementary rituals regarding it?

Also, even though less than half of marriage benefits described in the law pertains to child bearing, and nobody is required to have plans for children nor does their contract expire if they choose not to (myself included), in what way is having children something that homosexuals don't do? Lots and lots of homosexuals have children, either from prior marriage, surrogacy or adoption. I'm going to a same-sex marriage tomorrow (husband's cousin) and she has two children.

Because Atheists define themselves as anti-God.... Opposing Christian values is a way to express their Atheism.
*Arches eyebrow* Neverminding that most Christians these days don't care that gays are getting married, and that plenty of gays also identify as Christian, how does this relate other than being an intentionally inflammatory supposition on atheistic motives regarding same-sex marriage?

arthra

Baha'i
That is, care if others engage in them?

I know homosexuality has pretty much run its course here on RF, but I can't remember this specific point having been addressed, and just to be clear I'll restate the question.

Why do Christians care that people of the same gender engage in sex, and why do they care that they marry each other. Even caring to the point of voicing their objections, and to the point of protesting?

I think we have to distinguish between civil law re. marriages and religious ordinances that apply to the adherents of a particular religion... There are civil laws that allow for various behaviours such as say drinking alcohol or use of various drugs or consensual sexual behaviours that are not accepted by various religious groups. The religious groups should not expect everyone else in a pluralistic society to follow their mandates as we do not have a state religion nor should the state force religious groups to accept all the standards mandated by the state... unless they are state funded for instance.... so a balance between civil and religious laws is needed.

In Canada there's a Charter of Rights and Freedoms that differentiates between civil and religious practices

See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Canada

Stalwart

Assuming you're not trolling here I'm going to take a big chance and take you seriously---I do realize that people who think as you've describe below actually do exist. So . . . . . ..

Oh, please don't think I'm interested in trying to convince you. I doubt that I ever will. Nor, I assure you, will you ever convince me to recant, so I'm not going to waste my afternoon bothering. I'm just stating it as it is in response to the OP for the sake of satisfying your curiosity.

These I'll satisfy, though.

a. How would you correct people who went against the morals and behavioral norms you placed?

In the same way that any decent society deals with its criminal elements, of course.

b. Would you let people on your Island who do not share your same morals and behavioral norms?

Why would I say on one hand that I wish to combat crime and then on the other say that I would want to invite additional persons predisposed to criminal behaviours?

c. If homosexual sexual orientation (not to be confused with love, lust, or unconditional love) is against your morals, how would you correct these orientation without insulting or degrading the person you are correcting?

Suffering from homosexuality isn't in of itself evil, but it is a disorder. For one to accept themselves as a homosexual, though, is where the evil arises, and becomes manifest in their embracing unnatural femininity (or masculinity in the case of 'lesbians'), and committing acts of sodomy.

d. How do you justify not letting someone with homosexual sexual orientation into your utopia and how is the orientation detrimental to the people living on the island?

It's simply a matter of upholding the moral standard. Why compromise, and as in question (a), why introduce people who are predisposed to the infringement of those standards?

e. If homosexuality is an action rather than a sexual orientation how do you know who should be on your island?

It isn't -- I never said it was. One who recognises themselves as a homosexual and embraces ought not be viewed as equal to his or her . Saint Paul informs us in Romans 1 that homosexuality -- among other tendencies of reprobation and depravity -- are symptoms of spiritual trouble brought about by grave sin. Homosexuality (homosexuality itself -- not repentant, unwilling homosexuals) ought to be condemned by society. Homosexuality is wholly intolerable. Simple as that.

Some Christians get the strange impression that their particular denominational views on marriage belong at the county clerks office.

Why not? There is no authority higher than God, who is the head of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church; Her teachings are His own. We know homosexuality to be a depraved and destructive thing -- common law ought to reflect this, and homosexual behaviour (that is the propagation of it, advocacy for its normalisation or toleration in society, or participation in sodomy) ought to be combated with the force of law.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm always in awe at how hard Liberals try to play dumb. Christian business are being forced out if the owners refuse to engage in homosexual speech. No business owner is being forced to engage in drinking, gambling, or tattoos. And, as far as I know, business are allowed to discriminate against people on the grounds of drinking, gambling, and tattoos.

Please give specific examples instead of melodrama and hyperbole.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I honestly think some of these are your opinions rather than the Church.
In the same way that any decent society deals with its criminal elements, of course.

That would mean anyone who went against your morals and behavior norms are considered criminals?

This isn't an analogy for god or anything. I'm asking what you would personally do.

Why would I say on one hand that I wish to combat crime and then on the other say that I would want to invite additional persons predisposed to criminal behaviours?
They are two separate questions. Would you let people onto your island whose morals and behavioral norms are different than yours (depending on if you consider their morals and behaviors criminal or not)?

If not all morals and behaviors you disagree with are criminal behaviors, why deny X amount of people access onto your island?

Suffering from homosexuality isn't in of itself evil, but it is a disorder. For one to accept themselves as a homosexual, though, is where the evil arises, and becomes manifest in their embracing unnatural femininity (or masculinity in the case of 'lesbians'), and committing acts of sodomy.

Do you actually believe this?​

If so, how do you know that a homosexual is suffering from a disorder?

How do you define disorder? (The CCC doesn't define disorder but according to doctors, disorders usually cause problems such as medical, mental, or ways one takes care of themselves. Such as I have Epilepsy-a seizure disorder. While someone else has a chronic depression, a mental health disorder. These affect how we function, our awareness, and how we take care of ourselves).

I just want to know if you actually believe this and how? Did you talk to homosexuals themselves to get this? If you did, whose word did you take theirs or yours?

It's simply a matter of upholding the moral standard. Why compromise, and as in question (a), why introduce people who are predisposed to the infringement of those standards?

Question A was: How would you correct people who went against the morals and behavioral norms you placed?

If I came onto your Island, how would you correct me for my sexual orientation I felt god gave me?

(Mind you I could be straight and be an ally. I could be straight and be Transgender. I could be like both male and female. I could just like the picture in my avatar but all straight)​

So, not knowing who I am at the moment (no assumptions), how would you correct me based on my sexual orientation?

It isn't -- I never said it was. One who recognises themselves as a homosexual and embraces ought not be viewed as equal to his or her . Saint Paul informs us in Romans 1 that homosexuality -- among other tendencies of reprobation and depravity -- are symptoms of spiritual trouble brought about by grave sin. Homosexuality (homosexuality itself -- not repentant, unwilling homosexuals) ought to be condemned by society. Homosexuality is wholly intolerable. Simple as that.

The CCC says homosexuality has to do with actions and tendencies to act. They condone the action not the orientation. That, and I said IF.

If a straight person recognizes himself as homosexual, what does that mean? (to you) Or what does it mean if a straight person recognizes himself as a homosexual?

Would you allow homosexuals on your Island? Why or why not?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Oh, please don't think I'm interested in trying to convince you. I doubt that I ever will. Nor, I assure you, will you ever convince me to recant, so I'm not going to waste my afternoon bothering. I'm just stating it as it is in response to the OP for the sake of satisfying your curiosity.
Ah Ha! my suspicions are confirmed.

A troll! And a religious troll no less, but I have to say you've got the homophobe patter down pretty good---although a bit over the top at times. Yet, all in all, nice job. :thumbsup: