• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus and Trump

Kirran

Premium Member
This is an interesting opinion piece about the subgroups within the South Asian community who supported Trump and that general area of politics.

I think it makes some solid points, although of course it relies on a very particular data set, is an amateur work and takes a few identitarian things too far, perhaps. I think it alludes insightfully to the internalisation of colonialist narratives and the impact that still has on interactions between the Hindu elite and the Western world.

Sipping on the Indian Haterade: Hindu American Whiteness and Support for Trump

habiru

This is an interesting opinion piece about the subgroups within the South Asian community who supported Trump and that general area of politics.

I think it makes some solid points, although of course it relies on a very particular data set, is an amateur work and takes a few identitarian things too far, perhaps.

President Trump is anti-Establishment. and the Establishment has been taking over their country. A lot of Indian's farmers are killing themselves because if the owner of the land that cannot pay his or her debt, that if they die, that will clear their debt for the rest of the family to keep. They has been buying Monsanto's seeds that need other things to make it grow. But before , the conventional seeds all it has needed were water and soil. And so they cannot afford to pay their debt. But according to the trade agreement, that corporations can seize their lands or whatever, for the debt that they owe. And so the landowners kills themselves so that their family do not have to go out in the streets to perform sexual favors just to eat day by day. None of our government officials of the past did not care about them.

xE0o0At.gif

MD

qualiaphile

I think it makes some solid points, although of course it relies on a very particular data set, is an amateur work and takes a few identitarian things too far, perhaps. I think it alludes insightfully to the internalisation of colonialist narratives and the impact that still has on interactions between the Hindu elite and the Western world.

For an Indian this guy sure does sound ignorant. He is ignoring the deep effect Islamic colonialism had on the Indian psyche, where Mughals killed millions of people for having the wrong faith. This colonization and conquest has had a deep effect on many Indian communities, specifically from the North and the West, to the point that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. In my experience many Pakistanis hold a longing or return to the Mughal era, and it's part and parcel of the Pakistani propaganda machine.

I find that those from the South were not subject to the same level of horror that the North was, and don't hold the same contempt towards Islam that many in the North do. Partition was in the North, the Mughal conquests were in the North and most of the Islamic kingdoms were in the North. Sikhism, a martial faith born out of defiance of the Mughal reign, was in Punjab, not Tamil Nadu. In fact he is confusing fear of Islamic demographic growth with Aryan myths of lightness.

The very fact that he is a professor of anthropology makes me wonder whether he is purposely ignoring history or is simply pushing a Leftist narrative. This is a fine example of the Left's bias, ignoring the plight of one nations history in favor of a baseless narrative.

MD

qualiaphile

What's even more surprising is that you as a Hindu post this. Even now in the 21st century we have posters here on RF (sovietchild and Servant) who hold strong views against those who practice idolatry. Imagine if they had an army, sometimes you can almost picture them salivating as they post their vitriol. British colonialism did not have as much of an effect on Indian psyche as Mughal colonialism did.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
President Trump is anti-Establishment. and the Establishment has been taking over their country. A lot of Indian's farmers are killing themselves because if the owner of the land that cannot pay his or her debt, that if they die, that will clear their debt for the rest of the family to keep. They has been buying Monsanto's seeds that need other things to make it grow. But before , the conventional seeds all it has needed were water and soil. And so they cannot afford to pay their debt. But according to the trade agreement, that corporations can seize their lands or whatever, for the debt that they owe. And so the landowners kills themselves so that their family do not have to go out in the streets to perform sexual favors just to eat day by day. None of our government officials of the past did not care about them.

How is Trump not part of the establishment?

For an Indian this guy sure does sound ignorant. He is ignoring the deep effect Islamic colonialism had on the Indian psyche, where Mughals killed millions of people for having the wrong faith. This colonization and conquest has had a deep effect on many Indian communities, specifically from the North and the West, to the point that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. In my experience many Pakistanis hold a longing or return to the Mughal era, and it's part and parcel of the Pakistani propaganda machine.

I find that those from the South were not subject to the same level of horror that the North was, and don't hold the same contempt towards Islam that many in the North do. Partition was in the North, the Mughal conquests were in the North and most of the Islamic kingdoms were in the North. Sikhism, a martial faith born out of defiance of the Mughal reign, was in Punjab, not Tamil Nadu. In fact he is confusing fear of Islamic demographic growth with Aryan myths of lightness.

The very fact that he is a professor of anthropology makes me wonder whether he is purposely ignoring history or is simply pushing a Leftist narrative. This is a fine example of the Left's bias, ignoring the plight of one nations history in favor of a baseless narrative.

I haven't seen anything to suggest the writer was a leftist, just r.e. that point. Probably a liberal.

What's even more surprising is that you as a Hindu post this. Even now in the 21st century we have posters here on RF (sovietchild and Servant) who hold strong views against those who practice idolatry. Imagine if they had an army, sometimes you can almost picture them salivating as they post their vitriol. British colonialism did not have as much of an effect on Indian psyche as Mughal colonialism did.

None of this, nor the previous post, is reason to isolate and dehumanise Muslims. That'll only boost radicalisation anyway.

I certainly don't deny the massive negative impacts of colonialism by the Mughals and previous Islamic governments.

Tabu

British colonialism did not have as much of an effect on Indian psyche as Mughal colonialism did.
Among the 9 close associates and advisors of The Mughal emperor Akbar 4 were Hindus .
What was the percentage of Indian representation in the British East India company ?

Kirran

Premium Member
Just because some Mughals did good things doesn't mean the colonisation was overall a good thing.

Kirran

Premium Member

habiru

Always Soros, isn't it?

Trump is a rich businessman from a well-off white family who has filled his cabinet with rich white conservatives. He's been courting big business. He has already been seeing to be actively using his post as a means to advance his business interests. That is textbook establishment.
obama_cabinet_whitehouse.gov2013.jpg

WASHINGTON (FinalCall.com) - One after one, cabinet officers serving in President Barack Obama’s first term administration announced their resignations—Blacks, women, the only Latino woman, an Asian man—but those who have been named to fill the high profile government positions have been, one after one, White males.

The lack of diversity in filling the first cabinet openings has prompted criticism, even from Mr. Obama’s staunchest allies, and derision from other observers.

“It’s as embarrassing as hell,” Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus and Dean of the New York congressional delegation said on MSNBC’s “Jansing & Co.” of Mr. Obama’s top picks.Obama's retro cabinet: White, male, controversial

Obama-Putin-Funny-11.gif

Kirran

Premium Member
obama_cabinet_whitehouse.gov2013.jpg

WASHINGTON (FinalCall.com) - One after one, cabinet officers serving in President Barack Obama’s first term administration announced their resignations—Blacks, women, the only Latino woman, an Asian man—but those who have been named to fill the high profile government positions have been, one after one, White males.

The lack of diversity in filling the first cabinet openings has prompted criticism, even from Mr. Obama’s staunchest allies, and derision from other observers.

“It’s as embarrassing as hell,” Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus and Dean of the New York congressional delegation said on MSNBC’s “Jansing & Co.” of Mr. Obama’s top picks.Obama's retro cabinet: White, male, controversial

Obama-Putin-Funny-11.gif

"But Obama's bad too!" is not a valid response to a criticism. It's a deflection. Don't assume that just because I am not a fan of Trump that I am a fan of Obama. He was no doubt an establishment politician.

habiru

"But Obama's bad too!" is not a valid response to a criticism. It's a deflection. Don't assume that just because I am not a fan of Trump that I am a fan of Obama. He was no doubt an establishment politician.
But Obama and Hillary are one. And so, who were you supporting? Unless you are a Vermin's supporter.
Oh-Brother.gif

Kirran

Premium Member
But Obama and Hillary are one. And so, who were you supporting? Unless you are a Vermin's supporter.
Oh-Brother.gif

Um, I was in the UK at the time, where I've lived my entire life.

I think Hillary was pretty terrible. Were I in the USA and with the same opinions I hold now, I would have supported Bernie in the primaries, and then had a hard decision as to whether to go Democrat or third party in the election.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have a lot of difficulty picturing a truly devout Hindu supporting anyone like Trump because doing so goes against so many basic teachings. But, much like we see with some Jews, Christians, etc. political concerns all too often crowd out the teachings.

I'll try and revisit this tomorrow as I have to leave.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm happy to be in Canada observing it from afar (closer some days) On our recent sojourn into the USA (to a fairly democrat state) I kept my mouth shut on all things political.

Which begs the question ... why do some people who are not citizens of the US on here seem to care so much?

Kirran? Psychoslice? Others?

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm happy to be in Canada observing it from afar (closer some days) On our recent sojourn into the USA (to a fairly democrat state) I kept my mouth shut on all things political.

Which begs the question ... why do some people who are not citizens of the US on here seem to care so much?

Kirran? Psychoslice? Others?

Interesting question. I suppose I follow it with some interest on account of how I know it is impacting people. Thinking about if, I am actually moderately invested at the same level with British as with American politics.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Interesting question. I suppose I follow it with some interest on account of how I know it is impacting people. Thinking about if, I am actually moderately invested at the same level with British as with American politics.

On the international stage, it could affect you. Here it can really affect us, in pipelines, the economy, and more. Still I am not as keen as others. but that's probably just due to my make-up, which is rather apolitical.

Kirran

Premium Member
On the international stage, it could affect you. Here it can really affect us, in pipelines, the economy, and more. Still I am not as keen as others. but that's probably just due to my make-up, which is rather apolitical.

I trend apolitical. It's more due to my current circumstances that I'm still looking into it - it certainly isn't my main area of interest within politics anyway. I do think it has a global impact in this case though. Including as regards Hindu-Muslim relations, to some extent.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I trend apolitical. It's more due to my current circumstances that I'm still looking into it - it certainly isn't my main area of interest within politics anyway. I do think it has a global impact in this case though. Including as regards Hindu-Muslim relations, to some extent.

The recent news about making religion and politics closer could open new cans of worms regarding proseltysing, both in the US, and abroad.

I admit to watching it too, but not with much attachment. I'll watch a hockey game before a US election.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The enthusiasm will sour quickly in any of these bills below are passed.
India freaks out over U.S. plans to change H-1B high-skilled visas

For we all know where the real devotion lies.
Lord-Ganesha-Stories-For-Kids.jpg