• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism Questions

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I own a copy of a translation of Bhagavad-Gita and like always when it comes to books I've been too lazy to begin reading it. How should I read it? In order like a regular book, or specific verses out of order like the Bible is read in church?

2nd question: What is the role of the individual devas modernly? Are they mostly non-interactive? Are they bound to karma like we are? Or perhaps even control karma?

Last: I know I asked this before but, why focus on specific devas when all of them make up Brahman?

James Field

I would agree that it should be read front to back, but don't fly through it. I personally prefer to take my time and take it all in when it comes to spiritual texts

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
1.) Front to Back. The Gita is a short excerpt from a much, much, much longer narrative.

2.) Depends on who you talk to.

3.) Again, depends who you talk to. What you described is a very Advaita Vedanta POV.

spiritualhitchhiker

neti, neti, neti
I own a copy of a translation of Bhagavad-Gita and like always when it comes to books I've been too lazy to begin reading it. How should I read it? In order like a regular book, or specific verses out of order like the Bible is read in church?

2nd question: What is the role of the individual devas modernly? Are they mostly non-interactive? Are they bound to karma like we are? Or perhaps even control karma?

I frankly don't have any idea about how to read Bhagava-Gita, so I can't give you any suggestion on that.

By individual devas, do you mean Indra, Varuna, Yama, etc? According to Hinduism, they should be interactive but you have to do tapasya to get them to appear before you. Yes, they are bound by Karma and they can't control it, I don't think anyone can control Karma.

Last: I know I asked this before but, why focus on specific devas when all of them make up Brahman?

According to individual temperament and likings, if you don't find yourself drawn or attracted to one deva, you find another deva which you like. In the end whichever one you choose it can take you to Brahman or Mukti.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How should I read it?
1. Gita does not reveal its meaning easily, especially if one does not have the context of culture. The better thing is first to read the Hindu mythological stories like Ramayana and Mahabharata and get the feel.
2. That is a person's choice in Hinduism - the number of Gods and Goddesses and the chosen personal God. They are not supposed to be non-interactive. Gods are wise and generally would not transgress the law (dharma) but they too are bound by it. Lord Rama performed austerities after killing Ravana to escape the effects. They do not control 'karma' and most Hindus believe that every one has to suffer for his/her evil deeds and is rewarded for the good deeds (that goes for non-Hindus as well).
3. As Starry said, Brahman as the sole entity is an Advaita POV and in which case he is not interactive. There are many POVs in Hinduism. For most Hindus, it is polytheism.

Chandrashila (the Moon Rock) in Tunganath where Lord Rama is supposed to have performed austerities.
442340d1287764786t-devbhoomi-garhwal-rudraprayag-chopta-tungnath-chandrashila-trek-bw-chandrashila-large.jpg

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

"The Sum of Awe, post: 4254888, member: 27592"]I own a copy of a translation of Bhagavad-Gita and like always when it comes to books I've been too lazy to begin reading it. How should I read it? In order like a regular book, or specific verses out of order like the Bible is read in church?

Namaste,

I suggest it has to be read front to back, as many have said, there is a overall context that needs to be understood.

Depends on the Individaul Bhakta, I think Deva/Devi are all bound by Karma, such as Surya (Sun) Devata, it does what it does that is its Karma. we only have some control of our Karma, but no control of our Karma Phala, The Devi/Deva are not concerned about their Karma Phala and that is why they are classified as Devi/Deva.

I think because we are limited beings in life, we cannot comprehend the entire Brahman so require to focus on the specifics, and if we focus on a specific devi/deva it is still Brahman that is in focus in the end anyways.