• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Required

atanu

Premium Member
My daughter has to prepare for a debate: Online education better than classroom education.

What may be points for and against?

Thanks.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Online: Pros: Convenient and easy access. Usually self paced and accommodating making it easier to work around a busy personal schedules.
Cons: Lack of personal interactions from instructor(s). Stigma where online tutoring is associated with laziness and lack of motivation and drive as opposed to proactive education. Low or poor accreditation ratings.

Direct schooling: Pros: Personal attention from instructor(s) when needed. Hands on interaction and use of schools equipment or available resources involving field work. Established and higher accreditation rating.
Cons: Rigid schedule that may not always accommodate.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
My daughter has to prepare for a debate: Online education better than classroom education.

What may be points for and against?

Thanks.

As a former teacher and debate coach, I have strong feelings about your asking for pro-con arguments that you can provide to your daughter.

Among the primary benefits of participating in a debate are that it demands assessing sources for their authority and validity and judging what arguments and evidence will best support the position the student is upholding.

Suggest some sources you've found that may be helpful, yes, but give your daughter arguments she can use, decidedly no. Doing your children's work for them is not something teachers find at all beneficial or desirable.

atanu

Premium Member
As a former teacher and debate coach, I have strong feelings about your asking for pro-con arguments that you can provide to your daughter.

Among the primary benefits of participating in a debate are that it demands assessing sources for their authority and validity and judging what arguments and evidence will best support the position the student is upholding.

Suggest some sources you've found that may be helpful, yes, but give your daughter arguments she can use, decidedly no. Doing your children's work for them is not something teachers find at all beneficial or desirable.

I cannot but agree yet beg that you coach me at least. :)

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Naw, I doubt that you can afford my fees. I certainly thank and commend you for doing the right thing and agreeing that you ought not help her to that extent.

How old is your daughter? What I might suggest you do that would aid her but won't be overstepping will depend to some extent on how old she is.

Is this going to be an actual academic debate with an affirmative and negative team or simply one student speaks for an amount of time in favor of the proposition and the next in opposition? Will there be rebuttals once each student has spoken for and against?

Btw, feel free to PM me when she gets some arguments with evidence put together. I'll certainly do what I can to help her structure them more effectively if she'd like some assistance.

ron4711

Naw, I doubt that you can afford my fees. I certainly thank and commend you for doing the right thing and agreeing that you ought not help her to that extent.

How old is your daughter? What I might suggest you do that would aid her but won't be overstepping will depend to some extent on how old she is.

Is this going to be an actual academic debate with an affirmative and negative team or simply one student speaks for an amount of time in favor of the proposition and the next in opposition? Will there be rebuttals once each student has spoken for and against?

Btw, feel free to PM me when she gets some arguments with evidence put together. I'll certainly do what I can to help her structure them more effectively if she'd like some assistance.

Nothing wrong with pointing your daughter to this site to ask the question. The point of learning is not so much to get the answers but to learn how to get the answers.

atanu

Premium Member
Naw, I doubt that you can afford my fees.

Kindly give a budgetary quote. :cool:

I certainly thank and commend you for doing the right thing and agreeing that you ought not help her to that extent.

I am requesting my daughter to directly interact here, if necessary. She is 15.

Nothing wrong with pointing your daughter to this site to ask the question. The point of learning is not so much to get the answers but to learn how to get the answers.

A good idea that I am following up.

Thanks.