• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heavenly Mother

What traditions in Christianity believe in a Heavenly Mother? As the wife of God the Father and lives in heaven with Him? I know sometimes she is called Asherah and sometimes associated with Holy Spirit.

Rational Agnostic

What traditions in Christianity believe in a Heavenly Mother? As the wife of God the Father and lives in heaven with Him? I know sometimes she is called Asherah and sometimes associated with Holy Spirit.

None. But if you want to worship a goddess instead of a god, I'm sure there are lots of (equally false) religions that you could check out.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
This is one of our hymns: O My Father

Nice hymn.

1. O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

2. For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, “You’re a stranger here,”
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

3. I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav’ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I’ve a mother there.

4. When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

Text: Eliza R. Snow, 1804–1887
Music: James McGranahan, 1840–1907

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Perhaps you meant which Abrahamic religions?

The Hebrew originally had a Goddess.

Gen 1:26 And the Elohiym said, Let us make humankind in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gen 1:27 So Elohiym created humankind in their own image, in the image of the Elohiym created he him; male and female created he them.

Jer 7:17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?

Jer 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

Jer 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

Jer 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.

EDIT - Forgot to add verses using the name Asherah.

2Kings 21:7 And he set the graven image of the Asherah that he had made, in the house of which Jehovah had said to David and to Solomon his son, In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever;

This one below needs better translation. Carved Idol Pillars of Asherah, were under the trees of the Grove, on every high hilltop. The trees of the Grove probably also represented her.

1 Kings 14

14:23 For they also built them high places, and pillars, and Asherim, on every high hill, and under every leafy tree;

More than two hundred thousand plus Goddess figurines have been found in Israel. Some of them still in their miniature Temples.

This is probably Asherah, found in Israel, and as you can see she is in the pillar style.
asherah.jpg

She is the Tree of Life.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

LDS Christianity aka Mormonism believes in the existence of a Heavenly Mother who is their god's mate and eternal partner though they don't worship or even name her.