• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have any prominent Sikhs converted to Hinduism?

ronki23

Luis, yesterday, my son was in Patna with his group led by a Sikh lady to sing Shabads (Sikh bhajans/prayers) on the occasion of the 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh. That is how far Hindus are from Sikhs.
Guru gobind singh prakashotsava - Google Search

I went to Gurdwara for Guru Gobind Singh's birthday as I missed Guru Nanak Jayanti and haven't really experienced Gurus' birthdays (there was one in summer when I was studying 2013) and the difference between that and a normal day was balloons, perhaps fairy lights (unless they always have these lights year round) and a large sign saying

"Congratulations this (or last night) night for Guru Gobind Singh's 350th birthday"

Is 'congratulations' the same as 'celebrations' in Punjabi as it's an odd word to use?

ronki23

In Delhi, marriage between a Sikh and a Hindu, boy or girl will not even raise an eye-brow (as you know some of the Sikhs are clean shaven or trim their beards and mustaches. As I have mentioned in the forum, my son was on the verge of marrying Sikh girls twice, had introduced the girls to me. It is just a chance that it did not happen. The girl in the first instance was a sweet little package. But finally, as you know, 'Hui hai wahi jo Ram rachi rakha' (What happens is already ordained by God).

You yourself said your Grandson is a Sikh and was taken to Gurdwara soon after birth. That shows Hindus becoming Sikhs, not the other way.

I recall 2015 I went to Mandir and our Mandir also has pictures of Guru Nanak; Harmandir Sahib and the Sikh Gurus, all donated by different people, and there was a Sikh man with his wife and two children (the boy of which wore the mini turban that Sikh children wear) yet the man sat in the car outside while wife and kids went to Mandir. Now unless he was feeling cold, this indicates Sikhs should not pray in Hindu Mandir...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You yourself said your Grandson is a Sikh and was taken to Gurdwara soon after birth. That shows Hindus becoming Sikhs, not the other way.

I recall 2015 I went to Mandir and our Mandir also has pictures of Guru Nanak; Harmandir Sahib and the Sikh Gurus, all donated by different people, and there was a Sikh man with his wife and two children (the boy of which wore the mini turban that Sikh children wear) yet the man sat in the car outside while wife and kids went to Mandir. Now unless he was feeling cold, this indicates Sikhs should not pray in Hindu Mandir...
Just by going to a Gurudwara, one does not become a Sikh. All Hindus go to gurudwaras at one time or the other and rever Sikh gurus. Did you become a Hindu by going to a temple? I do not know if the person sitting in the car had anything against Hinduism or not. Perhaps we was talking to his business associate. We do not ask anyone to pray at a temple irrespective of whether the person is a Hindu or not. I hardly ever go to a temple. But I am a staunch Hindu.

ronki23

Just by going to a Gurudwara, one does not become a Sikh. All Hindus go to gurudwaras at one time or the other and rever Sikh gurus. Did you become a Hindu by going to a temple? I do not know if the person sitting in the car had anything against Hinduism or not. Perhaps we was talking to his business associate. We do not ask anyone to pray at a temple irrespective of whether the person is a Hindu or not. I hardly ever go to a temple. But I am a staunch Hindu.

He wasn't talking to anyone; it seems even with pictures of the Gurus and Harmandir Sahib he refuses to go into Hindu Mandir. Wife and kids must be Hindu as they prayed to deities.

I am a Hindu but to be honest I'd call myself a Sanatan Sikh.

Also you didn't say whether Bandai Sikhs still exist nor did you say WHY Orthodox Sikhs don't like Ravidassi or Nirakar Sikhs. If Nirakar and Nirgun mean formless, why are Nirankar Sikhs at odds with conventional ones? Ravidassi simply believe Ravidass was a Guru but I see nothing wrong with Bandai Khalsa or Ravidassi but orthodox don't like them.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why does India or Pakistan have castes? Why do we have regionalism? Why do people have different religions? Go on, keep asking these questions, but that is the reality. We all have our prejudices.

Bhudev

My sikh neighbors also celibate Ganesh CHaturthi With us every year. i was pleasantly surprised when first time they did this. :)

i mostly follow Shiv panth but i dont feel any type of Spiritual connection with Ganesha. you know what i mean.

But Ganesha always helped me whenever i asked Mannet to him.

Kirran

Premium Member
Plenty of Sikhs at the temples I go to :) So far two of my friends from Hindu families have gone on pilgrimage to the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Many people fail to understand the relation between the four Indian religions. Respect begets respect. We respect theirs, they respect ours.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember a Sikh family used to attend my local Temple regularly when I was a kid. I think they have since moved away, but I don't remember them being fazed by it at all. Although I suspect the father might have been more interested in the food lol. Very nice people, often found polishing peoples' shoes after puja and they were always eager to help around the place.