• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"God", not my cup of tea

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

Firstly, those who have interacted with me over the past years would know that I am a passionate and proud Hindu, so don't assume that this is a "I'm not a Hindu anymore", kinda of statement.

When discussing or debating with people, as soon as people mention or ask about "God", or "gods", i tend to loose interest in the conversation, because I know that "God",to me is not the same as Deva/Devi Vishnu/Shiva ect ect, so if someone asks me if i worship God, i would say no but i do Puja to Kali, and that confuses people because not many people see the differences.

I find that many people blurt out "God", without thinking that it may mean nothing to the other person, it would be like me going up to a Christian or Jew and saying "do you worship Vishnu",? Or if i ask Muslims "Why does Vishnu hate Kafirs"?.

But why do Hindus mention "God" as if it is a concept within Hinduism? Why do Hindus have to establish the Godliness of Vishnu/Shiva Deva/Agni ect ect, I have had Hindus ask me "So your a Bhakt of God Hanuman", and i say no just a Bhakt of Hanuman and the reply comes "Yes that's what i meant, the God Hanuman"?

Even if one says that i use the word "God", to mean Ishvar, I would say why don't just use Ishvar?

And its not just the word that does not sit well with me, it is the entire concept/history/theology that comes with it, i don't see it as having any relation to what Hindu Dharmah is teaching.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, I'm just ranting away. Feel free to ignore

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We are now coming out of closet. We are staunch Hindus but may not believe in existence of God/Gods/Goddesses. These are our culture figures, that is why we love them. They are fun, they are our guides, they are our society. Etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a similar take, Satya, but for the sake of any discussion with non-Hindus, I admit to using 'God' instead of 'Shiva'. With my Saiva brothers and sisters, most especially it is just Shiva. There is none other.

So it's a matter of communication for me, as with 'Hindu' instead of the more proper 'Sanatana Dharma. I guess I like others to understand what I'm saying, even if it isn't completely accurate. Perhaps some day in the future the words will as commonplace as 'karma' is today.

Satyamavejayanti

We are now coming out of closet. We are staunch Hindus but may not believe in existence of God/Gods/Goddesses. These are our culture figures, that is why we love them. They are fun, they are our guides, they are our society. Etc.

Namaste,

Well if "coming out of the closet", i assume you mean to say that i'm a closet Atheist, I would disagree, even the label Atheist is not a Dharmic Idea, even theism is not what Dharmah is, if one is a Atheist does not mean one is Adharmic, does it?

So if I say, I don't believe in God, but I do believe in Atman, does this make me a Atheist?

If i say i don't think this universe was created by a God, but i do think that Prakriti is evolving while Purusha is involving does it make me a atheist?

Dhanyavad

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well if "coming out of the closet", i assume you mean to say that i'm a closet Atheist, I would disagree, even the label Atheist is not a Dharmic Idea, even theism is not what Dharmah is, if one is a Atheist does not mean one is Adharmic, does it?
So if I say, I don't believe in God, but I do believe in Atman, does this make me a Atheist?
If i say i don't think this universe was created by a God, but i do think that Prakriti is evolving while Purusha is involving does it make me a atheist?
Stumped by the variety in Hinduism. Being an atheist does not mean being adharmic. Not believe in God but in soul, I would say it makes you a bit unscientific. Prakriti and Purusha (?) instead of just prakriti. Can I say you are wrong? No. You have a right to your views. What authority do I have to say that you are wrong? :)

Satyamavejayanti

Stumped by the variety in Hinduism. Being an atheist does not mean being adharmic. Not believe in God but in soul, I would say it makes you a bit unscientific. Prakriti and Purusha (?) instead of just prakriti. Can I say you are wrong? No. You have a right to your views. What authority do I have to say that you are wrong? :)
Namaste, I never mentioned soul did I? Atheism does not discount dharma, nor purusha nor atman, but it does go against theism both of these labels mean nothing in dharma

Satyamavejayanti

I think i understand what you mean. I personally refrain from using 'God', because to me it sounds too impersonal, i feel no love or compassion when saying it.
Namaste, plus it also does not reprasent a acqurate discription of a particular concept, as Vishnu is not automatically meaning God

Satyamavejayanti

I have a similar take, Satya, but for the sake of any discussion with non-Hindus, I admit to using 'God' instead of 'Shiva'. With my Saiva brothers and sisters, most especially it is just Shiva. There is none other.

So it's a matter of communication for me, as with 'Hindu' instead of the more proper 'Sanatana Dharma. I guess I like others to understand what I'm saying, even if it isn't completely accurate. Perhaps some day in the future the words will as commonplace as 'karma' is today.
Namaste, yes I understand the communication factor and it's ok. But I tend to ensure that what I am talking about is as accurate as possible. I guess I am more inclined towards specifics of something rather then just being able to communicate. To each his own vinayaka ji, maybe I just want people to understand me like how I understand myself. By the way just so if people are wondering I have no hatred or ill thought of those who use God as a tool to communicate, this is just a expression of my feelings

Kirran

Premium Member
I'll admit I do tend to use the word God a lot. While I personally generally address Shiva on a a private level, I will widely use the term God in discussions with people. I find it to be a great catch-all name. But I think it's good you raise the point that not everyone is into that, and there probably is quite a bit of a pressure to get people to use certain words and describe things in certain ways which may not work for everyone, which may not be appropriate to everyone.

Satyamavejayanti

I'll admit I do tend to use the word God a lot. While I personally generally address Shiva on a a private level, I will widely use the term God in discussions with people. I find it to be a great catch-all name. But I think it's good you raise the point that not everyone is into that, and there probably is quite a bit of a pressure to get people to use certain words and describe things in certain ways which may not work for everyone, which may not be appropriate to everyone.

Namaste,

I Try to always use the proper Name (Nama) of the Deva/Devi in conversations, i see it as being a form of Namajapa, if we keep repeating the Name in conversation.

Dhanyavad

Kirran

Premium Member
I Try to always use the proper Name (Nama) of the Deva/Devi in conversations, i see it as being a form of Namajapa, if we keep repeating the Name in conversation.

A Gaudiya friend of mine says that it's great how people who slag off ISKCON etc a lot are saying the name Krishna so much, because they're benefiting from that vibration of the name :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste,

Firstly, those who have interacted with me over the past years would know that I am a passionate and proud Hindu, so don't assume that this is a "I'm not a Hindu anymore", kinda of statement.

When discussing or debating with people, as soon as people mention or ask about "God", or "gods", i tend to loose interest in the conversation, because I know that "God",to me is not the same as Deva/Devi Vishnu/Shiva ect ect, so if someone asks me if i worship God, i would say no but i do Puja to Kali, and that confuses people because not many people see the differences.

I find that many people blurt out "God", without thinking that it may mean nothing to the other person, it would be like me going up to a Christian or Jew and saying "do you worship Vishnu",? Or if i ask Muslims "Why does Vishnu hate Kafirs"?.

But why do Hindus mention "God" as if it is a concept within Hinduism? Why do Hindus have to establish the Godliness of Vishnu/Shiva Deva/Agni ect ect, I have had Hindus ask me "So your a Bhakt of God Hanuman", and i say no just a Bhakt of Hanuman and the reply comes "Yes that's what i meant, the God Hanuman"?

Even if one says that i use the word "God", to mean Ishvar, I would say why don't just use Ishvar?

And its not just the word that does not sit well with me, it is the entire concept/history/theology that comes with it, i don't see it as having any relation to what Hindu Dharmah is teaching.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, I'm just ranting away. Feel free to ignore

I think your Hindu position makes perfect sense to me. I am not exactly on the same page as you, but clearly you are a Great Hindu and fall within the Hindu diverse genre and completely legit path of oiur Family.

Again, I am not on exactly on the same page as you, basically I am a "Village Hindu" where I have no problem attending any Hindu temple, pujas, etc., but to not view the Gods as "the end game".

To me, the world is multi-dimensional, many universes with life and beings of all sorts, some are lower forms, some higher, some have mated with humans even, others are Angels, or Gods, there is Devi (which I see as ONE) and Devatas (many Male Gods).

But none are "GOD" or final or such. They also have some issues once in a while, just like us. I admit, I like having powerful Friends, so have no problem if I can get association and darshan, just like I would with a Maharaja (which I have also met and who liked me).

But for me, it is the Hindu EXPERIENCE that is my "end game". Moksha is where the experience never ends. The end game for me isn't some heaven for example. Some experiences can be quite exciting, perhaps even dangerous.

Shantanu

Namaste,

Hi Satya, I note the emphasis you place on the value of truth. If this is so, did you consider delving into the truth about the existence of God as the ultimate Entity in your mind and body capable of doing anything and of planting thoughts into your own mind that are indistinguishable from your own thoughts. This knowledge is gained from total surrender to God who is known to me as Sri Krishna. The term God raises one above the names of the gods that you mention as the real being in the universe who not only created and maintaned the universe, but guides us individually through our lives if we find out who He is and surrender to Him. Without surrender to God, people will always be fishing in the dark and getting confused. All our confusions are overcome when one surrenders to God as a real Entity living within us and capable of guiding us in what we do, and yes on the Dharma that you mention. Dharma is what shall we do with our lives. Only God makes that clear. This is my personal experience of God who wishes to be known as Sri Krishna. The dharma that He inculcates is fighting for truth and justice and countering evil through our lives to live a dignified existence. That is the God I know.

If you are into truth, then the ultimate knowledge should be the goal. The ultimate knowledge is realising God within oneself and in ones surroundings, hidden from us. The other gods and goddess of Hinduism also exist but in our minds as guna consciousness entities that people with the appropriate disposition are attracted to.

When one lives to truth, one proceeds according to the principles of truth accommodation, in which a person finds out the reality of God and entranced by His lila/mahima surrenders to God.

Satyamavejayanti

"Shantanu,"

Namaste, sorry for the late reply, i was on a short holiday.

Hi Satya, I note the emphasis you place on the value of truth. If this is so, did you consider delving into the truth about the existence of God as the ultimate Entity in your mind and body capable of doing anything and of planting thoughts into your own mind that are indistinguishable from your own thoughts.

Well, i don't think the ultimate entity which is my true self (Atman) can be classified as a God, plus Atman does not mean God, so i consider the truth to be my essential nature, rather then a external truth.

This knowledge is gained from total surrender to God who is known to me as Sri Krishna. The term God raises one above the names of the gods that you mention as the real being in the universe who not only created and maintaned the universe, but guides us individually through our lives if we find out who He is and surrender to Him. Without surrender to God, people will always be fishing in the dark and getting confused. All our confusions are overcome when one surrenders to God as a real Entity living within us and capable of guiding us in what we do, and yes on the Dharma that you mention. Dharma is what shall we do with our lives. Only God makes that clear. This is my personal experience of God who wishes to be known as Sri Krishna. The dharma that He inculcates is fighting for truth and justice and countering evil through our lives to live a dignified existence. That is the God I know.

I respect your Dharmah, but personally i don't have the same metaphysical outlook.

If you are into truth, then the ultimate knowledge should be the goal. The ultimate knowledge is realising God within oneself and in ones surroundings, hidden from us. The other gods and goddess of Hinduism also exist but in our minds as guna consciousness entities that people with the appropriate disposition are attracted to.

To me truth is not hidden at all, nor is it a God, i know of my mother and She is the Param Bhagvan and Maha Devi to me, right here, in this life i can take Darshan of her anytime. This is Devi to me, as for God, i don't know, if you call my mother God i don't mind.

When one lives to truth, one proceeds according to the principles of truth accommodation, in which a person finds out the reality of God and entranced by His lila/mahima surrenders to God.

I can understand this, but i would say that it is easier to have a Darshan of Devi Mata and Pitta Deva then any hidden God.

Satyamavejayanti

"ShivaFan,"

Namaste, Sorry for the late reply.

I think your Hindu position makes perfect sense to me. I am not exactly on the same page as you, but clearly you are a Great Hindu and fall within the Hindu diverse genre and completely legit path of oiur Family.

Dhanyavad

Again, I am not on exactly on the same page as you, basically I am a "Village Hindu" where I have no problem attending any Hindu temple, pujas, etc., but to not view the Gods as "the end game".

To me, the world is multi-dimensional, many universes with life and beings of all sorts, some are lower forms, some higher, some have mated with humans even, others are Angels, or Gods, there is Devi (which I see as ONE) and Devatas (many Male Gods).

But none are "GOD" or final or such. They also have some issues once in a while, just like us. I admit, I like having powerful Friends, so have no problem if I can get association and darshan, just like I would with a Maharaja (which I have also met and who liked me).

So what is this "GOD", in your opinion?

But for me, it is the Hindu EXPERIENCE that is my "end game". Moksha is where the experience never ends. The end game for me isn't some heaven for example. Some experiences can be quite exciting, perhaps even dangerous.

I understand, but i don't really care for the end game as well, and your interpretation of Moksha i would agree with as well.