• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and the Wind

finalfrogo

God is often metaphorically linked to the wind in that He cannot be seen, but his effects can be sensed, just as the wind cannot be seen except in the rustling of leaves.

What, exactly, are these "effects?"

Other times, God is connected to the wind, because neither can be seen--only felt.

How would you describe these feelings? Have you ever "felt" God?

kai

ragamuffin
I have often come across that saying and found it sadly lacking in common sense ,everyone can feel the wind ,hear it see its effects its scientifically explainable even to the laymen ,i must admit that i have never "felt" god i do not deny the existance of god , but personally i have no experienc of him/her/it

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I find it ironic a Buddhist should post this..... nevermind that.

I have funny beliefs about the wind myself. I try to listen to what it is telling me. I have written stories etc... about that before.

I believe that one does not truly "see" with the eyes. I listen to the wind that I may see it and what it has to show me. A feeling? Perhaps, but I would say one understands GOD not by what is heard/felt/seen; but by what one understands when GOD is trying to tell you something.

Hope that made sence, it didn't quite come out right.....

bigvindaloo

finalfrogo said:
God is often metaphorically linked to the wind in that He cannot be seen, but his effects can be sensed, just as the wind cannot be seen except in the rustling of leaves.

Other times, God is connected to the wind, because neither can be seen--only felt.

I think this comparison is speaking about a state of sharpened perception. We only notice the wind has changed for instance if it matters, like if I am sailing. What is important is that I have adopted a disposition to notice such a change. Similarly, perceiving God may necessarily require that I have adopted a disposition to notice him. Why not?

Simon Gnosis

bigvindaloo said:
I think this comparison is speaking about a state of sharpened perception. We only notice the wind has changed for instance if it matters, like if I am sailing. What is important is that I have adopted a disposition to notice such a change. Similarly, perceiving God may necessarily require that I have adopted a disposition to notice him. Why not?

Fantastic answer.

Listen to this guy people...sorry Big Vindaloo, but when someone is saying something important its worth noting it!

cardero

Citizen Mod
The recognition of GOD thorough feeling is probably evident through individual strength, a sense that has a sound foundation and has been developed or favored during all of the stages of one’s life. This is most likely personal but with good reason. When a spiritual BEing tries to commune with a physical human they do not want the connection to be misunderstood or misinterpreted. It is the reason that the feeling is used every time contact is made until the individual does not need to rely on the feeling any longer.

bigvindaloo

Simon Gnosis said:
Fantastic answer.

Listen to this guy people...sorry Big Vindaloo, but when someone is saying something important its worth noting it!
There is plenty of wind out there. Which one should I notice? Naturally there is only one wind here and now where I find myself. Is my "adopted" disposition all there is to perceiving it?

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
finalfrogo said:

The activities of believers and/or miracles if you are talking in a Biblical context.

Absolutely - I've felt him frequently. Out on my walk today, I was walking through the woods. It was really cloudy. The trees were dark and the atmosphere felt heavy with rain. Then, as I was walking along wondering about things (as I normally do), a ray of light speared from the sky through the treetops and landed on me. It warmed my skin and I was filled with happiness. It's difficult to place... but I definately felt a loving presence there.