• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis - Made some sense to me today

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Recently I began to read J Philip Newells 'Celtic Treasure' - a book of daily scriptures and prayer.

Todays section contained this from Genesis 1

"On the second day the storm kept stirring.
It was the wind of new beginnings.
God was saying, 'Let there be a space for creation.'
And the wind carved out a hollow in the deep waters.
It was a cradle for life.
Above, beneath and on every side of it were the everlasting waters.
God saw that it was good.
It was a place for bith and abundance.
And there was evening and morning, creations second day."

I've never really gotten anything from Genesis and thought of it as 'just' a creation myth.
Today I read this as a description of a psychological moment. Taken that way, to me, it was quite meaningful.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Can you articulate that meaning for us? Is it the more vivid description that appeals to you?

If one takes a view of God as the ground of all being and conceives of as God as an internal as well as an external phenomena the moment one begins to create for oneself a concept of this God is, for me, captured beautifully in these words of Newell

MSizer

MSizer
Uh oh! Code Red! We're losing him! Calling all Irish freethinkers, get a Dawkins book into his hands now! Monta, drop what you're doing and get on it!

8^)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've never really gotten anything from Genesis and thought of it as 'just' a creation myth.
Today I read this as a description of a psychological moment. Taken that way, to me, it was quite meaningful.
I suspect most old text, including creation myth, is written in the language of poetry (metre, metaphor, etc.). Myth to me is a psychological moment, and movement. There's a "turn" (a point at which the meaning shifts) at which you, here, now, enter the story yourself and become it.

Last edited: