• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who believe in an ''invisible deity''.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The thread is referring to invisible, not ''unseen''. Or hiding. Those are different things.
Are you sure? Remember that Hebrew only had about 2000 words. Are you sure about your translation of 'invisible'?

It is in fact translated from a Hebrew word that means 'hiding place', 'a secret place'.

Not invisible as we know it. But a place to hide.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
'invisible deity', means that it doesn't manifest, or appear, in forms. It doesn't mean that it is invisible part of the time, then might appear in a form. Once it appears in any form, it is not an invisible deity.
It just means that god is hidden.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
An invisible deity in this context, has no form. It assumes no forms, either.
//once the deity might assume a form, it has 'a form', regardless if it also has an invisible form.
In Hinduism, it assumes all forms. Actually all forms are only its manifestations, be it a human, be it an animal, be it a bush, be it a stone, be it water or air (Have I left out anything?).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
....^

@Tumah is a practicing Jewish person, who knows Hebrew. He has explained that invisible means doesn't manifest in form, according to those beliefs. The thread is geared towards those type of beliefs, not the type of beliefs, where your answer would apply, such as my beliefs; ie //Jesu is a manifested form of YHWH. These are different types of belief, both incorporating a deity that is at least in some form, ''invisible''.
Hopefully, that explains why I am being specific.
All i am saying is that 'invisible' was translated from a word that means hidden, not transparent or formless.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Great. But why would you be telling me that? I believe in Deity manifestation/s/.
Well because you keep saying that an invisible deity has no form, that is not the case.
An invisible deity is simply in hiding, in a secret place. A place where you can not see them.

Being in a place where you can not be seen and being invisible are different things, that's all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well because you keep saying that an invisible deity has no form, that is not the case.
An invisible deity is simply in hiding, in a secret place. A place where you can not see them.

Being in a place where you can not be seen and being invisible are different things, that's all.
Are you even reading my replies?
For some people, 'invisible' does mean, no form or manifestations.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Are you even reading my replies?
For some people, 'invisible' does mean, no form or manifestations.
Sure. But the point is that in the context of the Abrahamic god, invisible does not mean no form or manifestation - it means hidden, or secret.
Sure, for some people it means no form, but in the context of the Abrahamic tradition it means hidden/secret.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Whaa? I explained in the simplest terms, that what @Tumah, for example, is talking about, is not what you are talking about. Just do me a favour and go back and read my posts if that wasn't clear, I thought I was quite clear.
Tumah is talking about the Abrahamic god. As I am.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sure. But the point is that in the context of the Abrahamic god, invisible does not mean no form or manifestation - it means hidden, or secret.
Sure, for some people it means no form, but in the context of the Abrahamic tradition it means hidden/secret.

I suppose you aren't counting Orthodox Judaism as an 'Abrahamic Religion then? Have you read the thread?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What is it about 'invisible' being translated from a word that means hidden that you are struggling with?
The Abrahamic tradition includes Orthodox Judaism. You agreed on that. If you read the thread, 'invisible' means, to certain Abrahamic groups, no form, or manifestation. Your ''translation'', is not really the issue, here.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
^

The Abrahamic tradition includes Orthodox Judaism. You agreed on that. If you read the thread, 'invisible' means, to certain Abrahamic groups, no form, or manifestation. Your ''translation'', is not really the issue, here.
No it doesn't. That is the point. Invisible is translated from a Hebrew word for hidden, not formless. There is no Hebrew word for formless.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
^

..^

^

Ok. This is as clear as I can make it.
God has no form. We can not see him - he is hidden. I am just distinguishing between the concept of a god you can not see and an invisible god. The hebrew original indicates a hidden, rather than a formless god.
Tumah by the way is good to talk to, I have no problem discussing a difference between us if there is one.

I am simply arguing that concepts like 'immaterial', 'formless' and 'invisible' have connotations that the hebrew original does not have. It just posits a hidden god

Tumah

Veteran Member
@Tumah is a practicing Jewish person, who knows Hebrew. He has explained that invisible means doesn't manifest in form, according to those beliefs. The thread is geared towards those type of beliefs, not the type of beliefs, where your answer would apply, such as my beliefs; ie //Jesu is a manifested form of YHWH. These are different types of belief, both incorporating a deity that is at least in some form, ''invisible''.
Hopefully, that explains why I am being specific.
I haven't translated any words. Which word are we interpreting as meaning invisible?