• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exploring the subject of Spiritual Awakening

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've been pondering the concept of spiritual awakening and its many interpretations.

How do you define a spiritual awakening? What does it mean to you personally, and have you ever experienced one? If so, would you be interested in sharing your story about it?

From my perspective, a spiritual awakening can be a singular, life-altering event that propels us in a new direction. Yet, I also believe in the possibility of multiple, smaller enlightenments -- mini-enlightenments, if you will. These have been part of my journey, each one a subtle shift in understanding or perspective.

As a non-theist, my discourse on spiritual awakenings may lean more towards a cognitive exploration, not emphasizing the spiritual aspect as much. However, I would say that I recognize and affirm the existence of these profound experiences. I feel that they're real, and that they can be transformative.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Hi,

I've been pondering the concept of spiritual awakening and its many interpretations.

How do you define a spiritual awakening? What does it mean to you personally, and have you ever experienced one? If so, would you be interested in sharing your story about it?

From my perspective, a spiritual awakening can be a singular, life-altering event that propels us in a new direction. Yet, I also believe in the possibility of multiple, smaller enlightenments -- mini-enlightenments, if you will. These have been part of my journey, each one a subtle shift in understanding or perspective.

As a non-theist, my discourse on spiritual awakenings may lean more towards a cognitive exploration, not emphasizing the spiritual aspect as much. However, I would say that I recognize and affirm the existence of these profound experiences. I feel that they're real, and that they can be transformative.

Here ya go

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Hi,

I have found Psychosis to be hugely beneficial in becoming more enlightened but I'd never recommend it

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have found Psychosis to be hugely beneficial in becoming more enlightened but I'd never recommend it

Oooh. I'd disagree with this. Psychosis muddies the waters.

If it helped, then the psychosis wouldn't be there. Psychosis is a misfired spiritual/mystic experience ime.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi,

I see it is all about acceptance of God's Messengers. The awakening is acceptance of the Messenger given for the age we live in, otherwise we are still asleep.

Regards Tony

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Oooh. I'd disagree with this. Psychosis muddies the waters.

If it helped, then the psychosis wouldn't be there. Psychosis is a misfired spiritual/mystic experience ime.
I've found that it has helped me reach places I would not otherwise have reached

But would also agree that it does muddy the waters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How do you define a spiritual awakening?
To me there is a temporary awakening where someone has an experience that does not change their lives. Someone might experience divine love but it does not last.

Another kind is transformative. When someone has this kind of experience or experiences over time the person's inner life is changed. The shell of the personal ego now allows for the light of divinity to enter. The center called the "heart" is stepped up to a higher level. Or the awakening might be subtle with no particular "aha".

What does it mean to you personally, and have you ever experienced one? If so, would you be interested in sharing your story about it?

Yes. I've shared the story before here but to summarize it: it was the 60's with all that implies. At the start I was an atheist who did not consider religion or spirituality of any value for me - it was a waste of time. Gradually that feeling ebbed and I became interested in the spiritual dimension. I can conceptualize it as a seed germinating at the right time. As that happened I remembered a story about the Messiah in the "Treasury of Jewish Folklore" that I had read and found interesting. I remembered picking up a pamphlet about Meher Baba in 1967 that I saved without knowing why. So my awakening was organic and over time changed my life to where it's now focused on aligning myself with the life of the spirit.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really use the phrase. But it makes me think about some key points and transitions in my religious practice.

Those early struggles with theism and realizing I needed to unlearn everything I had learned because I had been conditioned by mainstream culture to think about the word "god" in extremely narrow terms. That took over a year and was the most difficult struggle when I was new to Paganism - one does not simply deprogram oneself out of classical monotheist assumptions about gods instantaneously.

The realization that book learning not only has severe limitations but actually gets in the way of developing a religious practice that is authentic to oneself and one's lifeway. Really, actually, understanding through experience why other Pagans go on and on about why it is all about practice and experience, not sitting in some armchair thinking or reading. That took... many years.

Which then became the confidence to get out of my own way and stop holding myself back with needless inner criticism, naysaying, and other assorted unproductive nonsense. To simply let things unfold as they will, trust in myself, trust in the gods, and let experiences actually happen through proper practice and just... going with it. That began with the Bardic Grade with OBOD, and was strongly reinforced in the Ovate Grade, so again, that took many years.

Learning to just be. Learning that there is enough. Holding an attitude of constant gratitude.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"How do you define a spiritual awakening?"

It is overcoming mental inertia. We each have a limited amount of electro-chemical energy generated by our brains. When we are young this energy is creating paths in unused cells, and ever after it flows through them like water in a stream. Thinking takes energy, and there are limiters in our brains which limit how much we use. Some of these limiters are our diet and ability to process dietary energy and air, but some of them I think come from our habits. Either that or they come from training our thought patterns to go in a less than useful path, so possibly the energy is not limited but is directed wrong.

When we are in the habit of not thinking this actually makes it harder to think. Instead our brains try to conserve chemical energy by reducing the amount our brains can push out. This means that we always think the same old things, just as a creekbed becomes deep and difficult to shift without a flood.

Overcoming this mental inertia, this constant thinking about what we already have thought -- this is spiritual awakening. It is like adding new branches to a creek, new floors to a building.

What stimulates it? Sometimes it is easy. For example listening to new kinds of music may be enough to do this. Sometimes it comes through physical discipline such as running. Sometimes practice may unlock it such as practicing an instrument or new language. It also can come from reconsidering old information and finding new things in that. Ironically it can also come from doing the same things repeatedly but carefully and with attention like practicing a drawing stroke. Anything which causes the brain to cut new channels is stimulating it and is a spiritual awakening.

From my perspective, a spiritual awakening can be a singular, life-altering event that propels us in a new direction.
I can understand that. Yes, that makes sense, too.