• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Crashing Kingdom Hall Meetings to Talk About Abuse

Altfish

Veteran Member
The church is making the same mistake that the Catholic Church made in the 2000s, trying to pretend that there is nothing happening. Ignoring complaints.
It will backfire and the press will be on the case and it will be Spotlight 2

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience the problem with the 'crashing' part is that some if not most will automatically see it as persecution and take concern or criticism from 'the world' or 'apostates' as a sign they'e on the right path. Essentially they'll double down. And I'm not sure what the best way to spur open dialogue would be like.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In my experience the problem with the 'crashing' part is that some if not most will automatically see it as persecution and take concern or criticism from 'the world' or 'apostates' as a sign they'e on the right path. Essentially they'll double down. And I'm not sure what the best way to spur open dialogue would be like.

In your experience?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Last year, an Australian commission found that the Jehovah’s Witnesses were turning a blind eye to serious problems within their ranks. The Royal Commission’s report said kids were not “adequately protected from the risk of sexual abuse” in the organization.

Read more at Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Crashing Kingdom Hall Meetings to Talk About Abuse

I can never understand why a church (or any organization) would even attempt to try to cover up allegations of abuse anyway. You'd think it would be in their best interests to bring it out in the open and clean up their own house. But when they cover it up or deny it, they only make themselves look worse to outsiders. If they're so worried about "enemies" denigrating their religion, then why would they give their "enemies" more ammunition to use against them?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It seems that all organisations are more interested to protect their reputations, than they are to protect their people.
This has prove to be far more than a Church problem.

But it is manifestly worse when the organisation is secretive and acts maliciously towards whistle blowers and detractors.
Vis a Vis JW and Scientology

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It seems that all organisations are more interested to protect their reputations, than they are to protect their people.

But it is manifestly worse when the organisation is secretive and acts maliciously towards whistle blowers and detractors.

. . . and the Roman Church.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it isn't about the fact that some Jehovah's Witnesses act badly toward other Jehovah's Witnesses. The real controversy is about how bad acts are dealt with.
They say they are governed by God and that Jesus is their head. The way they do business
proves that is not likely.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As far as protecting the reputation of the organization, they all should have learned from the lesson of Nixon and Watergate. The cover up and the lies are far worse than the act itself.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Update: In Scathing Court Decision, Watchtower Loses Appeal of $4000 Per Day Fine

""Watchtower knew of this abuser in the congregation, and did not report him to police or “take any action to prevent further abuse.” It offers details and a timeline as to Watchtower’s absolute failure to do anything to stop the abuser from molesting child after child...........in the early 2000s, the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses (CCJW) was formed, as a separate entity from the Watchtower Society, with separate boards of directors and bank accounts. The argument is that certain documents were controlled by “Watchtower” before that time, and certain documents were controlled by CCJW after that time, and that “Watchtower had no control over CCJW,” one of the reasons they offer as to why they couldn’t produce those documents.""

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Jehovah's Witnesses are taught that their control is Jehovah's control.
And, when somebody leaves them it is said of the person, "he has left Jehovah".

I do not know why the Jewish community does not view them as anything at all.