• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb Question

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Beans, peas and tomatoes self pollinate so how do they develop new varieties?

There's numerous different varieties of each of them so I assume there has to have been selective breeding so there must be a way of stopping them from self pollinating.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know enough to answer this but i know a guy who can.

The Art of Tomato Breeding | Edible East Bay.

“To cross two tomato varieties you place pollen from one variety onto the female structure of another. Specifically, you remove a pollen-producing anther from one plant and dust pollen from that anther onto the pistil of another plant.​

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

“To cross two tomato varieties you place pollen from one variety onto the female structure of another. Specifically, you remove a pollen-producing anther from one plant and dust pollen from that anther onto the pistil of another plant.​
Shouldn't you put that graphic sex talk behind a spoiler?
This is a family friendly forum!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

There's numerous different varieties of each of them so I assume there has to have been selective breeding so there must be a way of stopping them from self pollinating.
Apparently it can't be done "naturally."

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Interesting but doesn't really explain how he stops the self pollination.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I presume they do not exclusively self-pollinate.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Most species that self don't self exclusively. Selfing is a survival mechanism whereby a new generation is ensured particularly in species that have an annual growth habit. Better to have some seed than no seed, as it were. But sometimes they cross. Know how all those plants you mentioned have multiple fruits? Yeah. Some of them will be selfed, some will be crossed. Sometimes anatomical arrangement of the flowers is used to encourage (or discourage) selfing. Other times it's phenological. The long of it is complicated and probably more botany than you want. :D

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Most species that self don't self exclusively. Selfing is a survival mechanism whereby a new generation is ensured particularly in species that have an annual growth habit. Better to have some seed than no seed, as it were. But sometimes they cross. Know how all those plants you mentioned have multiple fruits? Yeah. Some of them will be selfed, some will be crossed. Sometimes anatomical arrangement of the flowers is used to encourage (or discourage) selfing. Other times it's phenological. The long of it is complicated and probably more botany than you want. :D

I understand that but what I'm wondering is how they ensure a cross when selective breeding.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand that but what I'm wondering is how they ensure a cross when selective breeding.

There are a variety of methods, and I'm not an expert on it. I worked for a while in plant breeding programs but it was for different species - some of my colleagues were doing stuff like beans though. I was always jealous of their jobs because they got to sit down on nice cushions under shade umbrellas and use tweezers to do the crosses. You can dissect the flower open a bit to remove the anthers. Then you get pollen from the plant you want to cross and daub it in. They told me it wasn't as relaxing as it looked, but compared to working with corn out in the hot, hot sun with no shade I never really believed them... haha.

For corn, preventing selfing was a matter of bagging. Bag over the ears to keep the pollen off, plus bag the tassels to collect pollen. Take pollen bag to ear, dump, staple pollen bag tightly over the ear to prevent cross-contamination. It's a monstrous amount of work. Didn't look at food the same way after that.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
There are a variety of methods, and I'm not an expert on it. I worked for a while in plant breeding programs but it was for different species - some of my colleagues were doing stuff like beans though. I was always jealous of their jobs because they got to sit down on nice cushions under shade umbrellas and use tweezers to do the crosses. You can dissect the flower open a bit to remove the anthers. Then you get pollen from the plant you want to cross and daub it in. They told me it wasn't as relaxing as it looked, but compared to working with corn out in the hot, hot sun with no shade I never really believed them... haha.

For corn, preventing selfing was a matter of bagging. Bag over the ears to keep the pollen off, plus bag the tassels to collect pollen. Take pollen bag to ear, dump, staple pollen bag tightly over the ear to prevent cross-contamination. It's a monstrous amount of work. Didn't look at food the same way after that.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
What is it with Revoltistanians and their prudish attitude to nature and life?

It's OK, I've realised how insensitive I was. Revoltistanians are also self pollinators. I shall sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

You just get them to believe if they don't stop, they'll go blind.

I don't know any vegetable breeders offhand to ask.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I've helped out with that. The breeders had a cute name for the bag.