• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogs in Islam?

Ryujin

Dragon Worshipper
Hello! I have read that in many muslim majority countries, dog ownership is very low. As I understand it, it is mostly a cultural characteristic of most of these places, though a few odd hadiths have at times been used to explain it.

I, also, have read a translation of the Quran and, of the few times that it mentioned dogs, all were positive, so I am hesitant to think that the attitude towards dogs as pets in these regions comes entirely from their interpretation of their religion.

I have also read that the twelver Shia and sometimes sunnis of the Hanafi school of jurisprudence are the ones that have the most objection to keeping dogs as pets. But I also know that sunni muslims of the maliki school of jurisprudence, common in north Africa, think differently on the matter and encourage keeping dogs as pets in the same way that cats are kept as pets in other muslim majority countries.

But, I am still uncertain on this. So here is my question to Muslims: Do you have a religious objection to keeping dogs as pets, in the same way you would keep a cat as a pet? Also, Which Islamic sects and schools of jurisprudence are most open to keeping dogs as pets? Lastly, in which muslim countries do people commonly keep dogs?( i suspect Morroco is one)

Thank you! And sorry for the boring question!

Sakeenah

Dogs are a creation of Allah so we don't hate dogs. Islam teaches us to be good towards animals in general. There's a hadith(narration of the prophet peace be upon him) of a man who was In the dessert he was thirsty and he finally found a well he went down to get some water. After he drank he saw a dog who was thirsty..the man took of his shoe went down again..and gave the dog some water. Because of this small deed Allah will make him among those who will go to heaven.

As Muslims we don't keep dog as pets..but in many Muslim countries they keep dogs to guard houses,farms,cattle. This is allowed..they are expected to be treated well.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In Islamic jurisprudence there's the ruling which says that the saliva of a dog is considered impure.

Ok, when you say its a 'ruling' i take it you mean its the Hadiths which say its impure, not the Quran ?

Incidentally, a study was done on dog saliva and it is found to act as an anti-bacterial agent against certain forms of bacteria. So its not impure....it actually works as a germ killer which is likely why they have the instinct to lick at wounds.

mojtaba

Hello! I have read that in many muslim majority countries, dog ownership is very low. As I understand it, it is mostly a cultural characteristic of most of these places, though a few odd hadiths have at times been used to explain it.

I, also, have read a translation of the Quran and, of the few times that it mentioned dogs, all were positive, so I am hesitant to think that the attitude towards dogs as pets in these regions comes entirely from their interpretation of their religion.

I have also read that the twelver Shia and sometimes sunnis of the Hanafi school of jurisprudence are the ones that have the most objection to keeping dogs as pets. But I also know that sunni muslims of the maliki school of jurisprudence, common in north Africa, think differently on the matter and encourage keeping dogs as pets in the same way that cats are kept as pets in other muslim majority countries.

But, I am still uncertain on this. So here is my question to Muslims: Do you have a religious objection to keeping dogs as pets, in the same way you would keep a cat as a pet? Also, Which Islamic sects and schools of jurisprudence are most open to keeping dogs as pets? Lastly, in which muslim countries do people commonly keep dogs?( i suspect Morroco is one)

Thank you! And sorry for the boring question!
According to Shia Fiqh, which is based on Holy Qur'an, true Hadiths of Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon him and his pure family) and His twelve pure and infallible Successors ( the Imams of the twelver Shia ), and intellect:

1. Keeping a dog as pet is not Haram(forbidden) but is highly disliked and it is better that a Muslim do not keep a dog as pet.
2. But keeping a dog for guard your house,farming,hunting or for police/military is Halal( lawful).

3. Anyway, If he/she wants to keep a dog as pet, he/she must know that all parts of dogs are najis and his/her hand(and other parts of body) and his/her clothes become najis by touching them, if at least one of the two (the hand or the dog) has enough moisture for it to be transferred to other. But if both surfaces are dry or only damp to the extent that no moisture is exchanged and transferred from one to the other, the hand or whatever else that has come in contact with the dog will not become najis. If his/her body or clothes are becomed najis, he/she should pure them by water.
4. Also he/she must know that he/she can not pray when the hair of the dog is on his/her clothes or when his/her clothes are najis.
5. And other Islamic orders.

According to Hadiths, if a Muslim keeps a dog as pet, the reward of his/her pray is less and angels do not go to his/her house.

Last edited:

mojtaba

Ok, when you say its a 'ruling' i take it you mean its the Hadiths which say its impure, not the Quran ?

Incidentally, a study was done on dog saliva and it is found to act as an anti-bacterial agent against certain forms of bacteria. So its not impure....it actually works as a germ killer which is likely why they have the instinct to lick at wounds.

Capnocytophaga canimorsus (previously-dysgonic fermenter 2 [DF-2]) is found among the oral flora of dogs. When transmitted to humans, it occasionally causes fulminant infection in patients with asplenia or alcoholism and rarely, in healthy people.
Jawetz Medical Microbiology, Twenty-Sixth Edition, Pg 250.

Campylobacter upsaliensis from dogs occasionally causes diarrhea in humans.
Jawetz Medical Microbiology, Twenty-Sixth Edition, Pg 261.

Cutaneous larva migrans (CLM): Also called creeping eruption, CLM is acquired when bare skin (often the hands and feet) contacts the soilborne larvae of Ancylostoma caninum, the dog hookworm; larvae migrate in the epithelial layers of the skin and leave red, itchy tracts on the skin.
Jawetz Medical Microbiology, Twenty-Sixth Edition, Pg 745.

Last edited:

Rogn

Basically you can have a dog only as a guard dog or something, but as a pet its not considered. 'cause according to muhammad in sahih al-bukhari angels don't come to houses where there are either pictures on the walls or dogs. So that's probably the explanation.
In Islamic jurisprudence there's the ruling which says that the saliva of a dog is considered impure.
Hitchens sarcastically said the opposite in terms of rendering muhammad unpure lol. Atleast heard some commentaries from that guy, always witty with his comebacks.