• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your religion have end-time prophesies?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
With all the disasters that keep happening and, as some believe, getting worse, because of climate change and whatever other reasons, does this fit with the end-time prophesies of your religion? And does your religion even have end-time prophesies? And because plagues and earthquakes and other disasters have always happened, why is it different now? And this time, for sure, the end-times?
It's interesting that with me and the Book of Mormon, I always see things in there about to happen and it seems like the book keeps them from fruition/keeps evil at bay. I suppose the further into the book, the more like the second coming would be a basic interpretation

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
With all the disasters that keep happening and, as some believe, getting worse, because of climate change and whatever other reasons, does this fit with the end-time prophesies of your religion? And does your religion even have end-time prophesies? And because plagues and earthquakes and other disasters have always happened, why is it different now? And this time, for sure, the end-times?
All the Abrahamic Faiths I'm aware of (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha'i) have end time prophecies. If the God of Abraham exists and depending on which of these religions genuinely originated from God, then it follows prophesies have a purpose. For me, it is useful to reflect on the cyclical nature of human history.

ChieftheCef

We just have ages. These ages overlap and flow from and into one another. Where a discernable beginning or end can be spotted is ambiguous. An age is even difficult to spot. So calling something an age, beginning or end is nearly arbitrary and a matter of perspective. It's supposed that all things come to an end. (Whatever that end might possibly mean)

My guess is that within or around a future age, space-time may wither into some sort of oblivion. That's likely not a 'prophecy'.... just a hunch.
I hope this is polite and we just agree to disagree but I know you're wrong about that whither into Oblivion. Despite your and my and our lack of happiness much of Nature is flourishing. Catastrophe occurs, but even black holes, which I believe is the sort of Shiva in the universe, emit particles that then clump up into nebula and new solar systems and you and me. Whithering into Oblivion wouldn't happen, it doesn't fit the theme.

Happy sun!
mb-medieval-sun-2813px-l.jpg

ChieftheCef

Salam

You've guys heard of how I explained conditional Prophecies. I don't know if humanity will react well with return of the Mahdi (a) and Jesus (a) and others, if they will submit to them or accuse them of sorcery. And I don't know if believers will remain grateful after or will turn ungrateful like many times when believers were saved, they turn ungrateful.

This world is a test, and so far humanity has failed most tests.
You guys are worried about sorcery, huh.

ChieftheCef

We just have ages. These ages overlap and flow from and into one another. Where a discernable beginning or end can be spotted is ambiguous. An age is even difficult to spot. So calling something an age, beginning or end is nearly arbitrary and a matter of perspective. It's supposed that all things come to an end. (Whatever that end might possibly mean)

My guess is that within or around a future age, space-time may wither into some sort of oblivion. That's likely not a 'prophecy'.... just a hunch.
What about Ragnorok?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, but God does not permit mankind to know the day or hour that Christ will return and Heaven and earth will be remade (as that's what the "end" really is in Christianity - the endpoint of history as we know it). It is to be a cosmic and miraculous event per what Revelation tells us. We're always to be on watch for it. So I don't spend my time trying to look for signs of it or obsessing about it. We don't know and we're not supposed to know when it will happen. There's also nothing we can do to speed it up or stop it. To think so is hubris.

Christians are supposed to spend their time getting right with God and guiding others to Him, not pretending to be Nostradamus. We just know that things will get truly horrible and the survival of humanity will apparently be at stake, as in the days of Noah. So we're not there yet, I feel safe saying.

Technically, we have been in the "end times" since Christ ascended back to the Father in Heaven.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
All the Abrahamic Faiths I'm aware of (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha'i) have end time prophecies. If the God of Abraham exists and depending on which of these religions genuinely originated from God, then it follows prophesies have a purpose. For me, it is useful to reflect on the cyclical nature of human history.
Nice to hear from you.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes, but God does not permit mankind to know the day or hour that Christ will return and Heaven and earth will be remade (as that's what the "end" really is in Christianity - the endpoint of history as we know it). It is to be a cosmic and miraculous event per what Revelation tells us. We're always to be on watch for it. So I don't spend my time trying to look for signs of it or obsessing about it. We don't know and we're not supposed to know when it will happen. There's also nothing we can do to speed it up or stop it. To think so is hubris.

Christians are supposed to spend their time getting right with God and guiding others to Him, not pretending to be Nostradamus. We just know that things will get truly horrible and the survival of humanity will apparently be at stake, as in the days of Noah. So we're not there yet, I feel safe saying.

Technically, we have been in the "end times" since Christ ascended back to the Father in Heaven.
Yes, there's always been wars, plagues and other disasters to make it seem like the end was near. I fell for it back in the 70's. Several religious groups were saying that we were in the end-times. My favorite were some hippie girls that said they were from a spiritual race from Venus and had reincarnated into Earth people to help bring in the Age of Aquarius.

muhammad_isa

Yes, there's always been wars, plagues and other disasters to make it seem like the end was near..
It depends what you mean by 'near'..
..and for that matter what you mean by 'end'.

Jesus, son of Mary, will return .. and he will preside over a time of peace & prosperity.
..but not before WWIII .. which, it seems, is already under way.
..and God knows best.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It depends what you mean by 'near'..
..and for that matter what you mean by 'end'.

Jesus, son of Mary, will return .. and he will preside over a time of peace & prosperity.
..but not before WWIII .. which, it seems, is already under way.
..and God knows best.
The Quran is actually very clear that Isa (a) will be a sign of the hour and that there will not be a people of the scripture but that will believe in him before he dies. The discussion before was about Isa (a) death or appearance of death but that he did not die and then to emphasize and brings a new fact connected to that, says, there will not be a person from the people of the book except with believe in him before his death. Only people who don't want to know what God means will say it's ambiguous.

The Shia and Sunni scholars who in tafsir said it's ambiguous just expose themselves as those who the Quran is not a clear book of signs to.

The return of Isa (a) is clear both in Quran and hadiths.

☆Dreamwind☆

Yes, several. Although I believe this to be more along the lines of recorded natural history. "Extinction comes for everything sooner or later", and not "Beware all ye sinners! Judgement Day is at hand!"