• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your God(s) follow the golden rule?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Since my God took on a mortal body and sacrificed Himself for the human race, out of sheer love, I'd say He went beyond the golden rule of 'do to others as you would have them do to you' and taught a new ethic of self-giving altruism that is an even better model upon which to base one's life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not even slightly. To say the gods "want" something (which "treat others as you want to be treated" entails) would be an anthropomorphism, for the most part.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless, whatever we do to another, we do to "God," because "God" resides within us.

The only sense in which this would make sense in my religion is under the understanding that there is a Spirit of Humanity. And yes, the Spirit of Humanity, seeing as how it likes to moralize everything, would be one of the exceptions to the "for the most part" clause. So would things like the Spirit of Fair Play and so forth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The flip of the coin would be terrifying.

of course for some people.....either side up.....they lose.
big time....

arthra

Baha'i
Since the "Golden Rule" appears to be a universal teaching of the major religions of the world it would seem to me to have Divine sanction... that is it's universally applicable...

Baha'i

Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself. —Baha'u'llah

Buddhism

On traversing all directions with the mind One finds no one dearer than oneself. Likewise everyone holds himself most dear, Hence one who loves himself should not harm another. —The Buddha, "Raja Sutta."[8]

Islam

Whoever wishes to be delivered from the fire and enter the garden should die with faith in Allah and the Last Day and should treat the people as he wishes to be treated by them. —Sahih Muslim Muhammad[13] None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself. —An-Nawawi[14]

Christianity:

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. —Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:12[9]

Judaism

Thou shalt not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. —Torah, Leviticus 19:18[15]

Hinduism:

He who regards all creatures as his own self, and behaves towards them as his own self, laying aside the rod of chastisement and completely subjugating his wrath, succeeds in attainment to happiness.

—Mahabharata 13.113.6–9

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Tiw would for sure, but I'm not sure about the others. Woden certainly wouldn't.

ether-ore

Mainly directed to Abrahamic faiths, but I'll include everyone
The golden rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", has a reference. That being the law of the harvest; "you reap what you sew". So, yes, God Himself abides the golden rule in terms of the law of the harvest, except that He is the point of reference. How you behave relative to His laws will determine how He judges you.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Mainly directed to Abrahamic faiths, but I'll include everyone

The Golden Rule has been wrongly presented here. The real,unequivocal and truthful Golden Rule is pronounced by Moses in Deuteronomy - Chapter 6:4-9 :

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God; the Lord is one.
5 And you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your means.
6 And these words, which I command you this day, shall be upon your heart.
7 And you shall teach them to your sons and speak of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk on the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up.
8 And you shall bind them for a sign upon your hand, and they shall be for ornaments between your eyes.
9 And you shall inscribe them upon the doorposts of your house and upon your gates.
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9970

Jesus also referenced to it when he said:

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:35-38 King James Version (KJV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+22:35-38&version=KJV

Quran declares it the prime teaching and core of truthful Revealed Religion:

[2:166] And there are some among men who take for themselves objects of worship other than Allah, loving them as they should love Allah. But those who believe are stronger intheir love for Allah and if those who transgress could now see the time when they shall see the punishment, they would realize that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishing.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?submitCh=Read+from+verse:&ch=2&verse=165

Regards

InsaneChaote

Daniel and Micheal
The golden rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", has a reference. That being the law of the harvest; "you reap what you sew". So, yes, God Himself abides the golden rule in terms of the law of the harvest, except that He is the point of reference. How you behave relative to His laws will determine how He judges you.

We know that's wrong.

We have gotten better than we deserve and worst before.

Yeah we had to plant, farm, and make sure people don't still the s*** we tried to sow!!!