• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Man need Gods Law?

Do people need Gods Law in their lives, can't man just see the obvious and come to the correct conclusion between good and evil, and make the right decisions so that he and all others can share together in what brings peace, joy and goodnees for others and himself?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
no we don't need God's law. Good and Evil aren't objectively defined, so finding good and evil is easy (subjective good and evil that is).

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The people who deny it, will continue to have evil flung in their face, until they see it. Only God is all-knowing.

garrydons

Do people need Gods Law in their lives, can't man just see the obvious and come to the correct conclusion between good and evil, and make the right decisions so that he and all others can share together in what brings peace, joy and goodnees for others and himself?

Shalom. I for one being brought and reared as thought to believe God, I certainly believe that man definitely needs God's Law in their lives. I am not totally aware as to other faiths if where their parameters of morality came from. Or what is good and evil for them. But in the Hebrew or Christian Bible, it is clear that to do good is to obey the commands of the Lord and to do evil is to violate them. But I believe God has put His laws in our heart so that we recognize what is good and what is evil.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Obeing to God's Law helps you to stay away from bad things.
It's also show your love and devotion to God.

Green Kepi

Only if the referenced "people" wish to have eternal life...if not, so-long...goodbye...nice knowing you!

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
It would depend on exactly what we mean by God's law; if God's law relates to the rules that characterise existence, such as gravity (the law not the theory) for example then yes we would need such law.

If on the other hand we are referring to a set of behavioural standards, then no - many cultures have their own behavioural standards that arose without the influence of the Abrahamic God, those behavioural standards are sufficient for cultures to flourish.

InformedIgnorance

Actually he CAN, its a matter of whether or not he WILL; one of the sole reasons I appreciate the need for religion is that most of them attempt to make it more likely that practitioners will attempt to live by some moral code - they can do so without religion, but with religion they might feel more inclined to do so (usually either because they fear punishment or desire reward).

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
First define what God's law actually is.
I personally perceive 'God's laws' to be synonymous with 'science'.

By the same token, if God says 'if you do action x, reaction y will occur' I see this as a natural law such as if 'x' represent putting your hand in fire and 'y' represents getting burnt, rather than the reaction being a punishment from God.

I do not believe that God punishes.

As for holy texts and gurus, I see them as guides, not strict laws to live by. And this is because I cannot be convinced that life is black and white. We need to see the principle behind the instructions rather than take ancient texts entirely by their literal meaning.

This is my opinion.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
No need for god's law. If god's law is supposed to be primarily moral, than it's no less subjective than any other moral code, religious or not. Depending on how you define god's law, I'd say it's really too abstract to be anything more than arbitrary. Of course, you'd also have to define which god you're referring to, which further validates the point of it's arbitrary-ness. Humanism is a more perfect moral code than any supposed god's law.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
For those that answered yes.

Have you noticed that your versions of God's law differs from others who answered yes?

InformedIgnorance

and your understanding of law is more correct than everyone else's?
Of course not!

But mine is more correct than everyone/everything else's put together... I swear its true because my god said that I would know the truth because it sent a spirit to me. All hail the divine insight of Worship of InformedIgnorance (which should never be referred to in a shortened form because that would be disrespectful - it has nothing to do with either copyright infringement or what the abbreviation sounds like).

abc123kid

I definitly think we still need God's law. Paul writes about this very thing. Rom. 7:7 (What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet.") The law shows us precisely what is sin and what is not instead of playing guessing games. Morality goes from being subjective from one's own opinions to God's law.