• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have Hume’s Syndrome?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Who gets to decide what "real evidence" is, and how do they decide?
One of the main criteria is, is it repeatable, but not only repeatable, will consistent results be yeilded? Miracles tend to fall short of reliably producing consistent results.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I will now present a fictional dialogue demonstrating the method by which one irrationally resists the paranormal.

Tommy: Hey, Jake! It's been so long, buddy! What's it been 10 years? It's so good to see you!

Jake: Hey Tommy, yeah 10 years man. So long. I don't believe in ghosts!

Tommy: What?

Jake: Gods are myths!

Tommy: Are you feeling okay?

Jake: Smurfs are a fictional!

Tommy: Riiiight. Good seeing you again, Jake.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
I suspect that the adoration will wear off quickly.

Ouch. From the very first smart-aleck post in my thread here I've been made to feel unwelcome. Maybe I should just leave this forum before the adoration wears off, eh? After all no one likes being where they feel unwelcome.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ouch. From the very first smart-aleck post in my thread here I've been made to feel unwelcome. Maybe I should just leave this forum before the adoration wears off, eh? After all no one likes being where they are unwelcome.
Your post is provocative, so you must expect some snark.
Still, I took you seriously (with a little mirth). Feel free to continue making your case.
(These guys have been much rougher on me at times. Thick skin we must develop, eh?)

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Your post is provocative, so you must expect some snark.
Still, I took you seriously (with a little mirth). Feel free to continue making your case.
(These guys have been much rougher on me at times. Thick skin we must develop, eh?)

No, sorry I don't think I will continue. I've been away from this forum for a long time and I thought I would come back and see if things have gotten any friendlier. Bottom line is I don't feel welcome here. So I'm leaving again.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
"Real evidence"?

So if I give you "evidence for miracles", and you find it unconvincing... is that evidence then to be classified as "unreal"?

Whereas if I give you evidence, and you find it convincing, is that then classified as "real"?

Who gets to decide what "real evidence" is, and how do they decide?

It looks as though we might have an epidemic on our hands! :sarcastic

I think this is a good point. I agree that the scientific method of observable, repeatable, and testable hypothesis is the best for gleaning "real evidence", but it is also possible that there is phenomena out there that this method wouldn't work for.

That said, the paranormal and religious folk have yet to give any evidence of the scientific sort, so it's rather unfair to characterize us as willfully ignoring evidence that has yet to be presented.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, sorry I don't think I will continue. I've been away from this forum for a long time and I thought I would come back and see if things have gotten any friendlier. Bottom line is I don't feel welcome here. So I'm leaving again.
Please don't give up. Perhaps this thread is toxic, but there are other areas which you might find productive.
Time might also allow you to find a way to broach the subject again with better results. Getting satisfaction
from discussion forums can be a hard won skill.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

If you walk into someone's house and kick over their TV, do you expect them to invite you to stay for dinner?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That tends to happen when the OP starts out by poisoning the well.

I actually found the OP to be an interesting concept that I had not heard of before. I don't see anything in there that was particularly nasty. I mean, no more nasty than one of us claiming that someone who believes in miracles has been duped.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I actually found the OP to be an interesting concept that I had not heard of before. I don't see anything in there that was particularly nasty. I mean, no more nasty than one of us claiming that someone who believes in miracles has been duped.

You're very optimistic about people, aren't you?