• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Clerks Marry People now or Do They Just Prepare Marriage Licenses?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am hoping I don't sound too ignorant.

I have come across a story on my Facebook news feed. I've been getting a lot of stories that are totally false or hoaxes being treated as if they are true since I started. But a story has me confused. The story said that the Governor of Kentucky told clerks to marry gays or lose your job, I've never heard of clerks marrying anyone. I've always been under the impression that Judges (Justice of the Peace), men/women of the cloth (preachers, rabbis, etc), and Ship Captains (while they aboard their ship) marry people. If clerks are refusing to prepare the licenses, then why didn't they say that? Because of that, I doubt the story: If it were a true story, then they would have not made such a glaring error (or maybe they would have, if it is an error).

If it's a true story, then have they changed the law without my being aware of it? (I don't find it important to learn the laws of states that I don't live in).

(I am not trying to start a debate about whether the Governor of Kentucky is right or wrong or if the clerks or right or wrong, so I hope this doesn't disintegrate into one)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I am hoping I don't sound too ignorant.

I have come across a story on my Facebook news feed. I've been getting a lot of stories that are totally false or hoaxes being treated as if they are true since I started. But a story has me confused. The story said that the Governor of Kentucky told clerks to marry gays or lose your job, I've never heard of clerks marrying anyone. I've always been under the impression that Judges (Justice of the Peace), men/women of the cloth (preachers, rabbis, etc), and Ship Captains (while they aboard their ship) marry people. If clerks are refusing to prepare the licenses, then why didn't they say that? Because of that, I doubt the story: If it were a true story, then they would have not made such a glaring error (or maybe they would have, if it is an error).

If it's a true story, then have they changed the law without my being aware of it? (I don't find it important to learn the laws of states that I don't live in).

(I am not trying to start a debate about whether the Governor of Kentucky is right or wrong or if the clerks or right or wrong, so I hope this doesn't disintegrate into one)
Can you provide a link to the article?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The person posting the article on Facebook changed the story on Facebook from what was in the article itself. Sorry for taking your time, it does say "issue licenses" in the article.

Marisa

Oh, sure. Here it is . It is site called Cross Map, which I believe is a religious news network. I haven't read the story anywhere else, which is a pretty good indicator it's either being exaggerated or even false.

http://www.crossmap.com/news/kentuc...perform-gay-marriages-or-lose-your-jobs-19697
I think whomever wrote the article either misspoke or doesn't understand that clerks don't
perform the marriage, the JP does. Here's the first paragraph of the article, my money is on misspoke:

"FRANKFORT, KY, July 10, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) -- The governor of Kentucky has a stark message for county clerks across the state: Either issue homosexual "marriage" licenses or lose your job."

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Oh, sure. Here it is . It is site called Cross Map, which I believe is a religious news network. I haven't read the story anywhere else, which is a pretty good indicator it's either being exaggerated or even false.

http://www.crossmap.com/news/kentuc...perform-gay-marriages-or-lose-your-jobs-19697
This should help. This is the first line from the article. It is just a Christian News Organization being dishonest and intentionally misleading to further their flawed argument:

"FRANKFORT, KY, July 10, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) -- The governor of Kentucky has a stark message for county clerks across the state: Either issue homosexual "marriage" licenses or lose your job."

No order to "perform same-sex marriages" was given to clerks.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This should help. This is the first line from the article. It is just a Christian News Organization being dishonest and intentionally misleading to further their flawed argument:

No order to "perform same-sex marriages" was given to clerks.
I thought so. I was confused. The Title was misleading and a lot of people are angry about it. I think I was about the only one who questioned it. I am glad I did question it rather than leave a response that would have given me "shoe polish breath".

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I thought so. I was confused. The Title was misleading and a lot of people are angry about it. I think I was about the only one who questioned it. I am glad I did question it rather than leave a response that would have given me "shoe polish breath".
Your prudence is admirable. I'm sure there were plenty who didn't even bother to read the article before lashing out.

gsa

I have no idea whether or not these county clerks are able to perform marriage ceremonies. In Michigan, they can perform marriages and, at least arguably, if they elect to perform marriages they cannot discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender of the partners. Not because of a state anti-discrimination law, but because they are state actors.

But all clerks have to issue marriage licenses, and cannot refuse to do so because of the gender of the applicants, per the US constitution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was married by a judge. The clerk prepared and issued the licence itself unless clerks are givin authority now to perform a civil ceremony.

Maybe this differs state to state?

Marisa

I was married by a judge. The clerk prepared and issued the licence itself unless clerks are givin authority now to perform a civil ceremony.

Maybe this differs state to state?
Me too. It took longer for me to walk down the aisle than for her to oobie saboobala us.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Me too. It took longer for me to walk down the aisle than for her to oobie saboobala us.
Lol. :)

I still got married again later on at a church at the behest of my mother in law. Now my wife and myself have 2 anniversaries each year. *Grin*

Marisa

Lol. :)

I still got married again later on at a church at the behest of my mother in law. Now my wife and myself have 2 anniversaries each year. *Grin*
I did the tradition thing, white dress, tails, reception to follow. It was just performed by a JP. No church, we got married at a resort.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was married in a place called "Chapel of the Bells" at Reno, Nevada. No real wedding, we didn't want to put anyone to any expense.

jojom

Solemnization of Marriage:
(Kentucky)

Marriages shall be solemnized only by clergy, justices and judges of the Court of Justice; retired justices and judges of the Court of Justice, except those removed for cause or convicted of a felony; county judge/executives; such justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners as the Governor or the county judge/executive authorizes, and certain religious societies.

At least two persons in addition to the parties and the person solemnizing the marriage must be present at every marriage.

There are no residency requirements or licensing requirements applicable to ministers or priests who wish to perform marriages in Kentucky.

A minister or priest, all justices and judges of the Court of Justice, justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners may perform marriages anywhere in Kentucky.
Kentucky Marriage License Laws > KY Wedding Officiants

So the good governor got it wrong. Quite wrong.​

Wirey

Fartist

Solemnization of Marriage:
(Kentucky)

Marriages shall be solemnized only by clergy, justices and judges of the Court of Justice; retired justices and judges of the Court of Justice, except those removed for cause or convicted of a felony; county judge/executives; such justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners as the Governor or the county judge/executive authorizes, and certain religious societies.

At least two persons in addition to the parties and the person solemnizing the marriage must be present at every marriage.

There are no residency requirements or licensing requirements applicable to ministers or priests who wish to perform marriages in Kentucky.

A minister or priest, all justices and judges of the Court of Justice, justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners may perform marriages anywhere in Kentucky.
Kentucky Marriage License Laws > KY Wedding Officiants

So the good governor got it wrong. Quite wrong.​

How?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Do Clerks Marry People now or Do They Just Prepare Marriage Licenses?

Is there any reason to assume clerks shouldn't be allowed to marry people now? I mean, are you talking about if they're already married? I assume not, so...?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Is there any reason to assume clerks shouldn't be allowed to marry people now? I mean, are you talking about if they're already married? I assume not, so...?
I was just asking a question. But since you are asking, maybe marriages should only be performed by Judges, JP, Clergy, Ship Captains. Since clerks can't marry people now, I don't see a need to change that. They have enough to do with just preparing the license and all the information they need to do it.