• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discover Kemeticism

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Welcome to the Kemetic DIR friends and peace.

The purpose behind the thread is to post information about Kemetic spirituality and different Kemetic sects for anyone's viewing pleasure. My wish is to invite everyone to discover Kemetic Egyptian spirituality.

I also invite Kemetics of any affiliation to share articles, links, book suggestions and anything relevant to Kemetic spirituality.

So come and discover Kemetic religion! I hope the thread is helpful.

Rainbow Mage

Discover Ra, father of the gods, and probably one of the most known deities of the Egyptians.

Ra was a creator god, sometimes viewed as being THE creator god. His worship center was Heliopolis, meaning city of the sun. Myth had it that he had created mankind from his tears hitting the earth, which I personally view as being metaphorical.

Ra was a many faceted god. One of his titles was Great He-She and all goddesses were referred to as eyes of Ra. He was also Ra-Heruakhety the god of the horizon and punisher of evil. Some are more familiar with this form by the name of Aten.

Ra is still important to Kemetics today. He is still our father and father of the gods. He is worshipped through hymns and prayers and he likes Sandalwood incense.

Rainbow Mage

It is drawing near the Egyptian New Year for Kemetics.

The Egyptian New Year is called Wep Ronpet, a day on which we honor all gods, though it is proceeded by five very important days.

These days are the birthday of Osiris, the birthday of Set, of Heru, of Aset, and the birthday of Nephytys.

These days are remembered with birthday wishes for these gods, offerings, songs, and prayers.

There is also a myth regarding the birth of these gods. In the myth it is put forth that Nut a goddess associated with the sky was with child, but it was foretold to Ra that should the children be born they would surpass him in veneration and honor.

Hearing this Ra forbade Nut to give birth to her children on any of the 360 days of the year. Now it was well known that the god Thoth was wise and a skilled magician. Naturally Nut turned to him for help.

Thoth went to Khonsu, a god over the cycles of the moon and played him in a game of chance. The wager was some of Thoth's magical knowledge for some of the moon's light. Thoth with his wisdom easily won. To many Egyptians this explained why the moon wanes.

Thoth used his magic and fashioned the moonlight he had won into 5 extra days. Each god was born on a different day.

This was also how the Egyptians explained the year having 365 days.

That friends is why we celebrate the five days prior to Wep Ronpet.

Shuddhasattva

Hi, I have some questions.

1. How authentic is modern kemeticism? Can we say with certainty that it's representative of the ancient Egyptian religion, or only a modern reinterpretation as in say, druidry? As a corollary to this, are there intact lineages where teachings have flown uninterrupted, down through the ages?

2. What is the practicability? Are there methods, a goal or goals? Does practice result in significantly altered states of consciousness?

Thank you

Rainbow Mage

Hi, I have some questions.

1. How authentic is modern kemeticism? Can we say with certainty that it's representative of the ancient Egyptian religion, or only a modern reinterpretation as in say, druidry? As a corollary to this, are there intact lineages where teachings have flown uninterrupted, down through the ages?

2. What is the practicability? Are there methods, a goal or goals? Does practice result in significantly altered states of consciousness?

Thank you

I can only speak for the Kemetic organization I belong to on this. I cannot speak on individual Kemetics who might be more free-flowing with their beliefs.

I belong to the Kemetic Orthodox House of Netjer. We do try to do things as near as possible to the ancients, but at the same time this is a living and evolving Faith, as history would show Egyptian spirituality always was. So no we don't do everything exactly as the ancients did.

There are other things too like sacrifices, which we obviously can't do because of blood libel laws.

As for knowing the Egyptians believed and practised these things, yes we can know on much because they kept records. The Egyptians believed records were important and kept more records then many of their neighbours did. A common belief was that records helped keep the spirit of things strong.

I will address your other concerns in another post shortly. This post is running out of words.

(Using a mobile device)

Rainbow Mage

Now as for the Faith continuing from ancient times in some form, yes it has continued, and not always how one would expect. One way it has continued is religious syncretism. Egyptian Christians and Muslims continue indigenous folk practices such as dumping incense in the Nile, and they know the ancients is where they get these practices.

Another way it has continued is mostly covertly, and mostly in southern Egypt. Those who practice it wouldn't speak much about it for reason of the Islamic government, but those who know call them Nubians.

Now to address spiritual awareness and such. Egyptian religion was all about growing more and more into the spirit. Spirit is everywhere, and in rites and devotion to the gods we are delving into the spirit. Rites are direct contact with the spiritual and a joining of ourselves to the sacred.

Meditation is encouraged and certain hymns can be used during reflection, not unlike mantras. These hymns are of course to the gods, who we view as being of one divine power called Netjer (God). The gods and goddesses are both independent and names of Netjer at the same time.

I hope I was helpful and if I overlooked something please do point it out.

I'm using a mobile device atm :)

Rainbow Mage

Are practicioners of this religion also practicioners of magic?

Thank you for your query.

There is no exact Egyptian equivalent for the word magic. There is the concept of Heka. Basically Heka is to speak with authority. Words hold power and do have demonstrable effects on one's environment. We all do Heka at times.

Of course since Heka is part of any rite one may equate it with magic, but that can even be applied to a Christian sacrament, as in the priest evoking God over the Eucharist by the authority of his office.

The Kemetic idea really does mean simply to speak with authority or strongly with feeling.

Rainbow Mage

Good day and welcome all to the Kemetic DIR.

Discover Heru sa Aset, more commonly referred to by his Greek name of Horus, the son of Isis. Horus is the eternal god king of Egypt, the son of Osiris.

By eternal king is meant two things. That Horus has rightfully inherited kingship from his father, and that part of this kingship involves the use of his representatives, the Nisuts.

Horus is the king of the gods, firstly because of lineage and also by and with Ra's blessing. Mythology relates that the first king of the gods was Ra himself, who passed the kingship to Shu, who passed it to Geb.

When Geb and Nut conceived Osiris he was given the kingship. However when Set killed Osiris the kingship was disputed. Osiris and Isis had conceived a son, Horus, and it was eventually determined that he was indeed rightful king.

Horus is the eternal king. His kingship will last forever. The ancients affirmed and we of Kemetic Orthodoxy affirm that Horus rules the spiritual nation of Egypt by his servants the Nisuts. During the coronation of the Nisut a portion of the spirit of Horus passes into the king. This spirit is called the kingly ka.

It is through his servant and representative the Nisut that we in Kemetic Orthodoxy believe Horus rules Kemet, and so will forever.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no exact Egyptian equivalent for the word magic. There is the concept of Heka. Basically Heka is to speak with authority. Words hold power and do have demonstrable effects on one's environment. We all do Heka at times.

In my studies, I do remember hearing a few things about the emphasis on the power of words in Egyptian Paganism. I feel like this stems from a specific myth, but I can't for the life of me remember what. Isn't there also an entire book about words of power?

I'll confess I don't have much more than a passing knowledge of the more reconstructionist-style Neopagan practices, so it will be very interesting to get some insights from you! It's my understanding that reconstructionist practices are becoming increasingly popular since roughly the 80s or 90s.

GabrielWithoutWings

As a Kemetic Orthodox, how hard was it for you to accept Ms Siuda as the Nisut?

Why did you choose KO rather than a different tradition?

One of the reasons that I would have a difficult time with Kemeticism (or any other Pagan religion) is that the entire cycle of the religious year is intimately tied up with the local geography of Egypt. With no Nile River in Gainesville, Georgia, it doesn't have quite the same thunder to recognize the flood season, etc. This makes it seem as if the religion can only be properly appreciated in the local Nile River area.

Rainbow Mage

In my studies, I do remember hearing a few things about the emphasis on the power of words in Egyptian Paganism. I feel like this stems from a specific myth, but I can't for the life of me remember what. Isn't there also an entire book about words of power?

I'll confess I don't have much more than a passing knowledge of the more reconstructionist-style Neopagan practices, so it will be very interesting to get some insights from you! It's my understanding that reconstructionist practices are becoming increasingly popular since roughly the 80s or 90s.

The myths of the Egyptians are full of instances of power in words. Ptah is said to have spoken life into existence from the primordial mound. It was also said that speaking Ra's hidden name had great power.

Rainbow Mage

As a Kemetic Orthodox, how hard was it for you to accept Ms Siuda as the Nisut?

Why did you choose KO rather than a different tradition?

One of the reasons that I would have a difficult time with Kemeticism (or any other Pagan religion) is that the entire cycle of the religious year is intimately tied up with the local geography of Egypt. With no Nile River in Gainesville, Georgia, it doesn't have quite the same thunder to recognize the flood season, etc. This makes it seem as if the religion can only be properly appreciated in the local Nile River area.

I was skeptical of Rev Siuda's claims when I first approached the house of Netjer, as many in KO are I think. I finally accepted she was when the gods revealed it to me. Meeting her in person only deepened my belief.

I chose the house of Netjer because it was the first Kemetic group I came across, but I remain in it because the gods seem to want me here.

I understand this is all a matter of personal conviction and belief. I am only telling you my experience.

Rainbow Mage

Hello all in the Kemetic DIR

Kemetic morality is based on the concept of Maat. The term stands for truth, justice, and what is right. Today we'll be exploring truth a bit.

Part of truth when it comes to Maat is being true to yourself, listening to your inner voice. Kemetics do not have a notion of original sin or some idea of being inherently bad. Your ego and desires can lead you wrong, but if you listen to your heart it will guide you rightly.

To not listen to your inner voice was considered grievous by the Egyptians. They called it eating your heart. To use modern terms- to ignore what your conscience tells you is right.

The true self is pure and good and from Ra himself. It is not somehow fallen or tainted.

Just be true to yourself above all things. Discover who you are and be true to that.

xkatz

What are some good sources for info on Kemeticism and traditional Egyptian religious practices (other than this site)?

Rainbow Mage

Thank you for your query.

A good book for exploring the Kemetic idea of God is "Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt- The One and the Many, by Erik Hornung".

Good websites are Kemet.org
Wepwawet.org

And you can also Google up the Kemetic InterFaith Network site.

Hope that helps :)

GabrielWithoutWings

Hello all in the Kemetic DIR

Kemetic morality is based on the concept of Maat. The term stands for truth, justice, and what is right. Today we'll be exploring truth a bit.

Part of truth when it comes to Maat is being true to yourself, listening to your inner voice. Kemetics do not have a notion of original sin or some idea of being inherently bad. Your ego and desires can lead you wrong, but if you listen to your heart it will guide you rightly.

To not listen to your inner voice was considered grievous by the Egyptians. They called it eating your heart. To use modern terms- to ignore what your conscience tells you is right.

The true self is pure and good and from Ra himself. It is not somehow fallen or tainted.

Just be true to yourself above all things. Discover who you are and be true to that.

I've asked about Ma'at on the KO forum and never got a clear answer. I've heard that it's just something you understand... not something that can be explained. That immediately turned me off because if you can't describe the foundation of your ethics and morality then it does me no good to attempt to apply it to my life.

I've heard that it's more than just balance and justice. Set, for example, operates within Ma'at because he represents necessary destruction.

Can you give a detailed explanation of Ma'at?

Rainbow Mage

I've asked about Ma'at on the KO forum and never got a clear answer. I've heard that it's just something you understand... not something that can be explained. That immediately turned me off because if you can't describe the foundation of your ethics and morality then it does me no good to attempt to apply it to my life.

I've heard that it's more than just balance and justice. Set, for example, operates within Ma'at because he represents necessary destruction.

Can you give a detailed explanation of Ma'at?

It is hard to put Maat into absolutes, just because personal experience is part of Kemetic spirituality plus the fact that Maat isn't really do and do not at its core.

Maat is doing with acceptance that every action has a result. I personally think it similar to karma in that sense.

There is definitely some accepted idea though of what Maat is among serious members of Kemetic Orthodoxy. Part of Maat is appropriateness. When its appropriate to talk or be silent, when its appropriate to fight or be at peace, etc.

I have given the best answer I can. It is true that Kemetic concepts can sometimes be abstract. Maat is also a goddess and as mentioned, a universal law like karma. It has quite a few definitions.

Rainbow Mage

Discover Wesir, commonly known by his Greek name of Osiris, one of the most widely known yet highly misunderstood Kemetic deities.

We hear so many stories. The Zietgiest claimed that Osiris is comparable to Jesus, but that is hardly true.

They are alike in that they are seen as gods who died, and who died on our behalf, but the similarity ends there.

Osiris was not born a virgin and was never a human being. He didn't have 12 disciples, wasn't baptized, and was not crucified. These are all gross exaggerations.

Osiris was the god of the earth once upon a time, as well as the king of Kemet. He became the god of the dead upon his death at the hand of Set.

Most are familiar with Plutarch's version of the myth that Set flat out murdered his brother, however this version is Greek and not Egyptian in origin. Some Kemetics may accept it, but we in Kemetic Orthodoxy reject it.

Osiris was not murdered, he willingly put aside his immortality and allowed himself to be killed. He did this so that the afterlife could have a ruler and a god.

Rainbow Mage

Today we explore the notion that the ancient texts such as the Book of the Dead were treated like scripture by the Egyptians. In a majority Abrahamic world its natural to assume that, but its not correct.

There is nothing to suggest that Kemetic spirituality is based on scriptures, or that these texts were treated with that much authority.

The book of the Dead for example was written in a certain time period and only touches on the afterlife idea of that period. Furthermore the book of the Dead was not a commonly circulated text that was available to just anybody, it was a text for the elite.

In that period it was commonly believed that entering the afterlife required a complex series of trials, passing through the netherworld and ending in the hall of two truths. The book of the Dead was viewed as being like the guidebook through these trials.

That the Egyptians did not hold this view of the afterlife always, either before or after that period, indicates these texts are not scripture.

The general idea about scripture is that it contains certain unalterable truths because a deity has revealed it.

The Egyptians simply didnt see these texts that way.