• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably the most frustrating is theological ideas and religious concepts from Abrahamic traditions being hoisted upon me as if those somehow at all apply to me as a non-Abrahamic. And then, when I explain aspects of polytheistic theology or animism or spirits or anything, getting told that I'm wrong or mistaken about my own traditions. Like, come on, seriously?

On the one hand I get it - for a solid decade I was stuck in that same theological cage. Had no idea the cage was even there. It really does produce a sort of total blindness and ignorance that is remarkably persistent and very challenging to overcome.

On the other hand I just don't - if someone takes the time to explain some aspect of their culture or religion to you in good faith, why on earth would your response to that be any form of denial? Dude, it's fine if you don't agree with a particular cultural/religious take on something but telling them they're mistaken about their own traditions? Cultural erasure is gross.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
seems more like a compilation of hymns, lore, and ritual guidance.
That's really all they are ... beautiful, to be sure. People use the term "authoritative" to describe the Vedas. But they are not that, they are not laws, commandments, or such. That's the Dharma Shastras. Even then the DS are so outdated as to be, without being disrespectful, almost laughable. The "authoritativeness" of the Vedas is actually their "genuineness". What they contain is apauruṣeya, literally not of man. That is, they are from a non-human, non-earthly source, i.e. divine.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Somebody on here told me I was angry the other day, which I confess was news to me.
Yes, besides telling you your belief, they can see your current emotional state of mind just by the way you type. Some people's psychic abilities are truly amazing. Another example is when they say that the reason you don't believe it is because you just haven't realized it yet, or haven't studied enough. "Once you come to your senses, you'll definitely agree with me." Oh, I wish, lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The word for that is Bahai.
One, for sure, but there are others. It is just such a diverse planet. There are people all over, like sales people who often think they know what you want. My wife, being white, will go into a sari shop, and get told, "This is the one you want." That's not so bad, as if you do the cultural translation, it usually means, "I think this would look good on you." So that one's more just in language. With used car salesmen who do that, it's an attempt to upsell, and they could care less what you actually want.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, besides telling you your belief, they can see your current emotional state of mind just by the way you type. Some people's psychic abilities are truly amazing. Another example is when they say that the reason you don't believe it is because you just haven't realized it yet, or haven't studied enough. "Once you come to your senses, you'll definitely agree with me." Oh, I wish, lol.
Sometimes, that's true that more in-depth study leads to a different perspective. How many times on here have we had supporters of biological evolution go on and on about "if you just study biological evolution you'll understand it is the best explanation" and the like? They're not exactly wrong, at least if they left out that word "best" from the statement. "Best" needs context - value judgements are always contextual and regularly subjective or personal/cultural. Best at what, for whom, by what measure? Where do preferences come in?

Speaking of which, the best beverage is unquestionably tea and anyone who disagrees with me is simply wrong and hasn't drunk enough tea.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes, that's true that more in-depth study leads to a different perspective. How many times on here have we had supporters of biological evolution go on and on about "if you just study biological evolution you'll understand it is the best explanation" and the like? They're not exactly wrong, at least if they left out that word "best" from the statement. "Best" needs context - value judgements are always contextual and regularly subjective or personal/cultural. Best at what, for whom, by what measure? Where do preferences come in?

Speaking of which, the best beverage is unquestionably tea and anyone who disagrees with me is simply wrong and hasn't drunk enough tea.
What kind of tea? It's so diverse.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What kind of tea? It's so diverse.
Haha... all the tea. Also, tisanes, which are not technically tea but often called tea. There are so many kinds, I am legit suspicious of someone who says they do not like tea. That's like... I dunno... saying you do not like breathing or something. Which I suppose if you have a respiratory condition that makes it painful to breathe, is entirely fair. Is tea allergy a thing? That... that would be such a cruel torture. o_O

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

I’m glad that you’ve found something to believe in about beverages, but what you know about tea is most unfortunately a delusion. Tea is actually a toxin disguised as a good and pleasant beverage that might even have health benefits. It is so cleverly disguised as one that many people are fooled. The truth is that pickle juice is the best beverage. Deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know that pickle juice is the best beverage. It’s just that you’ve been fooled by companies—Twinings, Ahmad Tea, Barry’s Tea—who only care about your money. Tea leads you only to an early death, but pickle juice will give you real longevity. I hope that someday, you would come to know that pickle juice is the best beverage, which is explained on the only reliable webpage on the internet. Take care.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m glad that you’ve found something to believe in about beverages, but what you know about tea is most unfortunately a delusion. Tea is actually a toxin disguised as a good and pleasant beverage that might even have health benefits. It is so cleverly disguised as one that many people are fooled. The truth is that pickle juice is the best beverage. Deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know that pickle juice is the best beverage. It’s just that you’ve been fooled by companies—Twinings, Ahmad Tea, Barry’s Tea—who only care about your money. Tea leads you only to an early death, but pickle juice will give you real longevity. I hope that someday, you would come to know that pickle juice is the best beverage, which is explained on the only reliable webpage on the internet. Take care.
I'm all in. What kind of pickle?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Mango.

Drink it, chunks and all.
Sounds delicious. Seriously, what was your first experience with the Indian pickle like? I grew up with western dill, or sweet, and whatever Indian pickle it was I tried first changed my definition of pickle entirely. On a side not, the dill pickles I eat regularly are made in India. Food distribution is one very strange industry.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds delicious. Seriously, what was your first experience with the Indian pickle like?
I didn't know what to do with it. I was at a restaurant, scooped some up... and realized I wasn't doing something right. I then ignored it, and went home and looked up how to eat it... Delicious, when you do it right!
I grew up with western dill, or sweet, and whatever Indian pickle it was I tried first changed my definition of pickle entirely. On a side not, the dill pickles I eat regularly are made in India. Food distribution is one very strange industry.
I love dill pickles.

One of my favorite pickles, though, is the whole pickled vegetables in the local Bosnian market. I don't know why, but I could stare at them for hours. Its a beautiful isle...

I've got pickled mustard, South Asian style, in the fridge. I used some in a noodle recipe once. Very good, but I keep forgetting to use it...

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I love threads like this one! It's wonderful to get to know a little about people you'd probably never meet outside the internet.

I identify as Ominist. It's the only religious identifier that truly has no boundaries, although as the term becomes more known, there have been some conditions attempted. I've been interested in religions of the world and open theological concepts for as long as I can remember.

I tried using Post-Christian a decade or so ago, since I grew up in a Christian church community and that's still the primary religion of my locale. But I'm not "post" Christian. I'm more Christian Heretic, and have been for more than 50 years.

In my real-world life I don't have to worry about being told what my beliefs are. Most have never heard of it prior to me. Ministers included. I get the deer-in-the-headlight looks, a few questions asked, and oftentimes a pat on the hand with a "I'll pray for you, dear."

I do have a few friends that find my contemplations fascinating and enjoy hearing how they came to be. And that "few" have expanded. Love does cross boundaries.

A couple of Christian friends have become quite enamored with such a simple, loving, accepting greeting/salutation: "The Divine and self is the same in you and me."...Namaste

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed I think that is the case as well. Most of the better known groups use it as a key resource. Ironically, Ramakrishna was a Shakta. A universalist shakta, but still. It is also a main scripture for Advaitha Vedantins, probably the most widespread sect/group in the west. It no longer bothers me, though.
I can see that.

Personally, I find the Upanishads more useful as well as the teachings of Guadapada and Sankara in my research and in helping to explain my discoveries. That's not to say I don't finds certain chapters in the Bhagavad Gita relevant to my views, I just don't see it as central to my views as I do the Upanishads.