• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I love dill pickles.

One of my favorite pickles, though, is the whole pickled vegetables in the local Bosnian market. I don't know why, but I could stare at them for hours. Its a beautiful isle...

I've got pickled mustard, South Asian style, in the fridge. I used some in a noodle recipe once. Very good, but I keep forgetting to use it...
I'm addicted to these. I cannot have them in the house because they likely won't last the day, including the brine.

Vlasic-Xtreme-Heat-Pickle-Chips-Very-Hot-Spice-24-oz_ea939182-4dad-4b33-8492-79318950c290.8a212e086f54886b7efb76f1e839157b.jpeg

RestlessSoul

This is not an issue I come across in the real world tbh, but on here it seems the mere mention of Christianity is enough to provoke considerable hostility from people who know nothing about me, my beliefs or values.

For what it’s worth, I’m mostly Christian in the sense that William Blake and Leo Tolstoy were Christian; and they were both labelled as heretics in their day, but then so was Jesus of Nazareth in his.

wellwisher

No matter what kind of belief(or disbelief) you hold, you've probably been misunderstood at some point. You may have declared yourself Muslim/atheist/Buddhist/Asatru and had someone tell you what you believe... but it isn't actually true for you. Sometimes this may even come from people sharing your religious/non religious label!

What are some mistaken beliefs someone has tried to hoist on you?

Is there anything you may differ from in how most (fill in your label here) believe that you feel is worth making known?
I look at each spiritual orientation, as bringing us closer to the truth. We live in a time where logic rules. Logic is based on cause and effect, which makes logic a 2-D matrix of thought. We label the x-axis as cause and the y-axis as effect and we draw rational drawings in 2-D.

God is a 3-D or spatial concept; all inclusive such as smaller than small and larger than large. A 3-D concept can defy logic. One cannot fully express a genuine 3-D concept, with just one 2-D plane of logic, any more than you can express a tennis ball on a flat 2-D plane. Below is an image of a tennis ball, on the 2-D plane of your computer screen. It may fool the eyes as being 3-D, however, it will not work if used on a tennis court. We need a genuine z-axis; 3-D printer, that 2-D logic cannot provide.

WR8204701_1.jpg

Although we cannot accurately express the 3-D tennis ball on a 2-D logic plane, we can approximate this 3-D sphere with a large number of 2-D rational planes of logic, all with a common center, each at a different angles. This will fill in the 3-D space of the ball. This is an analogy for all the various religions of the world, trying, as a team, to express the full 3-D nature of God. Some are the main axises planes of 3-D.

sphericaltrig.png

It is useful to dabble among the various religious to help fill in the z-axis. Disappointment appears when we expect one orientation in 2-D to express the entire 3-D. Like the tennis ball, above, it may look possible, but once you bring it to the tennis court of faith, where we confront the ups and downs of reality, we realize this 2-D paper copy does not serve well. Some we try another, and another, which fills in other areas of the z-axis, from which, one day we acquire spatial wisdom, which is closer to 3-D knowledge of God.

Below is an effect I call a spatial illusion, which looks 3-D to the eyes but is still 2-D. The eyes can be fooled tø believe 2-D is 3-D. This special effect is done with shadowing and highlights. This may be a religion on a rational plane, that can fool the eyes; appears valid. One needs a sense of touch to convince oneself this is not real 3-D. Touch the screen to convince your eyes.

The highlights are the good or valid points, while the shadow is the denial of truth. What comes most to mind is the religion of Atheism. It is based on logic, but with a foundation of denial and shadow. It is less what it is, and more what it is not. An atheist does not believe in God. It is one of the valid planes, needed to make the full 3-D ball, but it often gets more than its share of priority due to extent of its shadowing. This can cause people to stop learning towRD 3-D, and accept the premise, with faith, that 2-D logic can even figure out 3-D problems. Shadowing spatial illusions is also part of politics, to help create a 3-D illusion of being more applicable, than it is, in the real or 3-D world.

spherewithlabeledvalues.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can see that.

Personally, I find the Upanishads more useful as well as the teachings of Guadapada and Sankara in my research and in helping to explain my discoveries. That's not to say I don't finds certain chapters in the Bhagavad Gita relevant to my views, I just don't see it as central to my views as I do the Upanishads.
I also love the Upanishads, but for me it only tells about the beautiful end. They're not really practical enough for me, so I need additional material.

PureX

Veteran Member
No matter what kind of belief(or disbelief) you hold, you've probably been misunderstood at some point. You may have declared yourself Muslim/atheist/Buddhist/Asatru and had someone tell you what you believe... but it isn't actually true for you. Sometimes this may even come from people sharing your religious/non religious label!

Is there anything you may differ from in how most (fill in your label here) believe that you feel is worth making known?
I'm philosophically a Taoist Christian and a non-religious agnostic. So basically no one ever understands where my head is at regarding theism. And since most people would rather fight to maintain their ignorance than work to learn anything new, this is how it remains.

I don't mind. I understand that no one really cares what anyone else thinks. They just want to presume everyone else cares about what they think. Even when they don't think at all. :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This is not an issue I come across in the real world tbh, but on here it seems the mere mention of Christianity is enough to provoke considerable hostility from people who know nothing about me, my beliefs or values.

For what it’s worth, I’m mostly Christian in the sense that William Blake and Leo Tolstoy were Christian; and they were both labelled as heretics in their day, but then so was Jesus of Nazareth in his.
You remind me of some of the Christian Druids I shared space with when the OBOD forums were my home.

(That is a high compliment.)
I also love the Upanishads, but for me it only tells about the beautiful end. They're not really practical enough for me, so I need additional material.
Same.

I actually find the most meaningful 'texts' are more just isolated stories... The story of Shiva and Sati and the relationship of Radha/Krishna have perhaps been the most important to me.
I don't mind. I understand that no one really cares what anyone else thinks. They just want to presume everyone else cares about what they think. Even when they don't think at all. :)
I care a lot about what people think about.

That's why I made this thread, so I could hear what people think. :)

Yerda

Veteran Member

If I state that I'm an atheist, theists sometimes assume that I must be a hard materialist and what I say amounts to "scientism". Or that I believe in evolution in order to avoid God's commandments.

If I clarify that I'm not necessarily a materialist, and that I don't believe science can answer all questions I sometimes find other atheists are very confused/upset by this. For instance, suggesting that phenomenal consciousness (perceptions and feels and the like) is not explained by any scientific theory will draw accusations of being anti-science, ignorant or irrational, on occasion.

Generally though, it is worth noting that most people on here don't care what I say...about anything...and that's a sensible approach.

PureX

Veteran Member
You remind me of some of the Christian Druids I shared space with when the OBOD forums were my home.

(That is a high compliment.)

Same.

I actually find the most meaningful 'texts' are more just isolated stories... The story of Shiva and Sati and the relationship of Radha/Krishna have perhaps been the most important to me.

I care a lot about what people think about.

That's why I made this thread, so I could hear what people think. :)
Yeah, but you're ... weird. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've been mistaken for a Christian a couple times.
But the weirdest was an RF poster believing that
I'm a creationist. (BTW, I'm neither.)