• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between Hinduism and Sanatan Dharma?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And Shirdi Sai Baba's message was very similar; he taught the Geeta to Hindus ..
Why repeat something which is already there? And what credit may that entail? This is known as plagiarism. Taking something from somewhere and declaring it as one's own.

ronki23

Why repeat something which is already there? And what credit may that entail? This is known as plagiarism. Taking something from somewhere and declaring it as one's own.

Sri M is alive and well today, he copied Shirdi Sai Baba

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Sri M is alive and well today, he copied Shirdi Sai Baba
If Sri M or whoever is following sai baba and there in i understand why you are ao inclined on backing baba, then sri m is a charlatan...Sikhs fail in realizing the original truth because they run after their gurus without realizing the supremeSri Krushna.

As I sais earlier no vaidika guru or student who studied vedas or vedic scriptures(Brahmins only should read Vedam) would like to not get associated with term 'hindu'..instead referred as 'Vaidikas'.

Kirran

Premium Member
Multiple teachers have taught and affirmed the same truths - this only makes sense, and lends credence to their teachings. Both the Buddha and Shankara encouraged detachment. I guess Shankara was a copycat? I do not think so, I just think that certain things are universal as regards the experience and nature of the divine.

EDIT: Also, on ISKCON.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, Sankara was a copy-cat, also had some new things to say about advaita. Advaita did not begin with Sankara. It began with Vedas and Upanishads.

Chakra

Premium Member
If that is the case, then EVERY philosophy/sect began with Vedas and Upanishads.

shivsomashekhar

So what is the difference between Sanatan Dharma and other Hindu schools of thoughts and if Hinduism is a term for Indo-Aryan/Indo-Persian religions then Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism are technically Hindus no?

The terms Hinduism and Sanatana Dharma mean exactly the same. The latter is the newer name, though some mistakenly believe it is older.

Here is a little blog I wrote on this a year ago.
https://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/hinduism-or-sanatana-dharma/

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes, Sankara was a copy-cat, also had some new things to say about advaita. Advaita did not begin with Sankara. It began with Vedas and Upanishads.

I think we should here make the distinction between the formal philosophy of 'Advaita Vedanta' and advaitic philosophy in general. There are advaitist philosophies which aren't official Advaita Vedanta. Saiva Siddhanta, Sivadvaita, various Tantric traditions.

Chakra

Premium Member
Making anyone an avatara of Vishnu, Shiva or Brahma, makes them heretics.
Well, I thought you considered yourself the same as Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma.

Are not the 'Mahavakyas' from Upanishads?
They are. However, if you are saying that by a cursory read of the Upanishads someone will be convinced of Advaita, then that is not true. Same goes for Vishistadvaita and Tattva-vada.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You must have seen many of my posts which made people say that I am a theist in disguise. The problem is that I have one foot in Vyavaharika and the other in Paramarthika. So, the 'angle' with which I am talking decides (for example, my signature). At one time it was 'Sarva khalu Idam Brahma' or 'Brahma-satyam jagan-mithya).

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
I am not a bharatiya, I am from the UK :(
Your question makes me explain a great point

Bharata Varsha actually does not refer to the only what we call now as 'bharat' or 'indian subcontinent' atleast in scriptures....It is known when one of the scripture cant remember which mentioned how the land used to exist as a total 1 clump in once but was later divided into diffferent regions which happens many thousands years after when one of the King divided. I will try to check what scripture mentioned that......

There is a beautiful process called 'Sankalpam' in the Brahmin or Vaishnava rituals...The sankalpam is something that one doing pooja or worship first chants and then he tries to imagine the god and he invites the god into the deity before him., then he starts the actual pooja,

I took the following information from the internet, but this is the sankalpam, before that we need to understand this

1 Mahayuga = Sum of 4 Yugas (Krita, Treta, Dwapara and Kali) = 4,320,000 years. 1000 such mahayugas comprise a day-time of Brahma also known as a Kalpa. The kalpa is ruled by 14 manus in succession. The reigning period of a manu is one manvantara which is 71.42 mahayugas. There is an equivalent night-time of 4,320,000,000 years. The day-night of Brahma together constitutes one Brahma day (8.64 billion years). 360 Brahma days constitute a Brahma year while 360 Brahma years is the life of the cosmos.

The Vaidika/hindu religion is the only one of the world's great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond, to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang. And there are much longer time scales still

We are presently in the Sveta-Varaha kalpa in the reigning period of Vaivaswatha - the 7th manu. In this manvantara we are in the 28th mahayuga. As per our Cosmology, Brahma is supposed to have completed 50 Brahma years and is in his 51st year. (100 years for Brahma) and afterthat next Brahma comes) That is why he is called "Parardha-dvaya-jivin" (ie) he lives for two parardhas. A parardha is half. Two halves make one. He is called so as he has completed one half of his tenure. These terminology makes better sense in relation to the Sankalpa.

The actual Sankalpa mantra and its meaning runs like this

".... dviteeya parardhe - in the 2nd half of Brhama's life
Svetavaraha kalpe - in the kalpa of Sveta-Varaha
Vaivaswatha manvantare - in the reining period of the current manu Vaivaswatha
Ashta Vimsati tame - in the 28th mahayuga of the current manavantara
Kaliyuge - in this kali yuga
Prathame Padhe - in the first quarter of this yuga
Jamboodveepe - this denotes the place where the ritual is performed.
Bharata Varshe, Bharata Kande - in the land of Bharat(Bharatavarsha refers to entire world)
Sakhabde Mero, Dakshine Parsve - to the South of the Meru mountain
Asmin Varthamane Vyavaharike - in the current period now reigning
Prabhavadi Shasti Samvatsaranam Madya - among the cycle of 60 years starting from Prabhava
Nama Samvatsare - the name of the year in the 60 year Hindu calendar
....Ayane - Dakshinayane (Aadi to Marghazi) or Uttarayane (Thai to Aani)
....Ritou - denotes the 6 seasons or Ritus - Vasantha, Greeshma, Varsha, Sharadh, Hemantha and Shishira
....Mase - one of the 12 sanskrit/tamil/telugu months
....Pakshe - either Shukla Paksham (day after Amavasya till and including Pournami) or Krishna Paksham (day after Pournami till and including Amavasya)
....Subha Thithou - one of the 15 days between Pournami and Amavasya (Prathama, Dvithiya, Trithiya, Chaturthi, Panchami, Shasti, Saptami, Ashtami, Navami, Dasami, Ekadasi, Dwadashi, Trayodasi, Chaturdasi, Pournami or Amavasya
....Vasara Yuktayam - one of the days of the week (Bhanu, Soma, Bhowma, Soumya, Guru, Brugu and Sthira)
....Nakshatra Yuktayam - the day's star or Nakshatram.

adiyen Chinna Jeeyar Swamy daasa
adiyen Ramanuja Daasa

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
....Ayane - Dakshinayane (Aadi to Marghazi) or Uttarayane (Thai to Aani)
....Ritou - denotes the 6 seasons or Ritus - Vasantha, Greeshma, Varsha, Sharadh, Hemantha and Shishira
....Mase - one of the 12 sanskrit/tamil/telugu months
In the Vedas, before Uttarayana and Dakshinayana (December-June-December), it was Devayana and Pitriyana (March-September-March).
At one time, the Vedas mentioned only five seasons (pitram panchapadam). Sushruta Samhita also mentions that.
At one time, the Vedas mentioned only ten months (Dashagwahas). Even the old Roman calendar had only 10 months and an year of 304 days. ;)

Last edited:

Goblin

Sorcerer
Shirdi sai baba is a charlatan and he is NOT a god or even spiritual guide..He used yo eat non-veg food and used to curse people in urdu around him...He finally died of fever and was buried in a temple.

Vaidikas/ Vedics never worship a dead body as it is seat of pretas or evil forces..Those who pray to that baba dead body will reach that kind of lowly places only. Sai baba is a cult introduced by 3 marathis to milk money grom stoopid 'hindus'....Stoopid hindus forgetting the vedic gods are worshipping these recently created phenomenon.

"hinduism" is not necessarily vedik, although the majority of hindu religionS draw authority from the vedas.
Hinduism includes a vast array of philosophies and points of view, i personally dont care about sai baba, but many devout "Hindus" do.

i remember going to temple and my teacher liked shirdi sai baba alot, he informed me that shirdi was above all religion and only cared about God, he went to both mosques and ashrams.
i bet you if he ever went to japan he would go to shinto shrines, or if he went to Italy would visit catholic churches.

on the note of non-veg diets, lol. Aghoris and Nath babas have no aversion to the parts of Brahman called flesh, and eat Brahman indiscriminately. they are called hindus, because their religion is founded in upanishadic texts and lore. not because some organization thats only been around a little bit said so. i personally feel its more genuine to have a ever growing religion based on the spiritual experiences of its members than to have one particular guru play facist fake and impose his views on a religious groups that have been around millennia before he or she was.

since there are so many different sects of hinduism, one persons opinion, what they think is right, or is "true" or whatever is 100% irrelevant.
i find biased know-it-alls annoying.

Hi guys! i only use my account when im bored, now im back online... im glad to be back its been a month or two