• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you know that Yahweh has a Grandpa?

Greatest I am

Reading skills help. Knowing what is common knowledge, and what is not.

Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[57][59][60][nb 10][77] There is no evidence today that the existence of Jesus was ever denied in antiquity by those who opposed Christianity

There have certainly been Jews called Jesus and there may very well have been a Rabbi called Jesus, although he never wrote anything, but to say that those Jesus' are anything like a miracle working son of a God who used a human female to reproduces is quite the stretch.

Seeing as Jesus said that we can be as he was shows just how human he was and not a miracle working God. Unless you think a man has that capacity.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

God does not always reveal himself immediately, it's called progressive revelation. 1 Corinthians 13:9-10 states that we know in part and prophesy in part but when the perfect comes the imperfect will perish. Isn't it a good thing to know that God's not done with any of us?

Since he says that the vast majority of us will end in hell, the sooner we are done with that immoral God the better off we will be.

If, as scriptures say, God is unfathomable, how is it that you can fathom that he does progressive revelation, and if he does and we then cannot know what all the sins are that he has in mind, how is it anywhere near justice for him to punish us for what has yet for doing what has yet to be revealed?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Yes, it's so good to see that you noted what I said about not lumping progressive and radical/fundamentalist religion together. And what I said about serious opinions not involving pointless disrespect.

I try to be careful to only disrespect those who do not earn it by though or deed.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

A quick reminder of the O.P.

Is it really right to call Yahweh "God"?

Is He as incompetent as scriptures say he is?

Regards
DL

outhouse

Atheistically
There have certainly been Jews called Jesus and there may very well have been a Rabbi called Jesus, although he never wrote anything, but to say that those Jesus' are anything like a miracle working son of a God who used a human female to reproduces is quite the stretch.

The historical Jesus, is not the biblical Jesus. The historical Jesus was probably called Isho, lived and taught in Aramaic poor villages in Galilee.

The NT grew in the Diaspora by Hellenist far removed from his life who found importance in the mythology surrounding his martyrdom.

Seeing as Jesus said that we can be as he was shows just how human he was and not a miracle working God. Unless you think a man has that capacity.

Jesus said nothing that we know. The unknown authors claimed he did. All we can do is hope that some traditions can be linked to him.

THINK about it. He learned from John the Baptist. Most of what we know probably originated in Johns teachings.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Just because you think I don't know anything, doesn't make it so, buddy.

All you're doing is exactly what you just mentioned - flatulence.

It's easy talking to you, you know - all I have to do is just remind you that you're doing exactly what you claim others are doing.
This is popularly known as "The Pee-Wee Herman Fallacy": I know you are, but what am I?

Lusius Fire

Cold Skin, Warm Soul
This is popularly known as "The Pee-Wee Herman Fallacy": I know you are, but what am I?
No, it's the Dennis the Menace disorder. It's where someone just has to butt in and insert more childish antics into a thread that has already been infected with similar blather. Guess who's got it?

sojourner

No, it's the Dennis the Menace disorder. It's where someone just has to butt in and insert more childish antics into a thread that has already been infected with similar blather. Guess who's got it?
"Childish antics" is what you've been engaging in the Whole. Time. And all it has amounted to is, "Nuh-uh!" What a colossal waste of our bandwidth...

Greatest I am

The historical Jesus, is not the biblical Jesus. The historical Jesus was probably called Isho, lived and taught in Aramaic poor villages in Galilee.

The NT grew in the Diaspora by Hellenist far removed from his life who found importance in the mythology surrounding his martyrdom.

Jesus said nothing that we know. The unknown authors claimed he did. All we can do is hope that some traditions can be linked to him.

THINK about it. He learned from John the Baptist. Most of what we know probably originated in Johns teachings.

Or whatever Rome wanted people to learn.

I don't see us ever sorting it out this far up the time line.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Only if you believe in Judaism.

The whole concept evolved over thousands of years. To understand Yahweh, you need to know the evolution of the concept.

Not what I meant. I meant that God should be competent and not as Yahweh is portrayed.

Yahweh, IOW, is not worthy of that title.

Regards
DL

Lusius Fire

Cold Skin, Warm Soul
"Childish antics" is what you've been engaging in the Whole. Time. And all it has amounted to is, "Nuh-uh!" What a colossal waste of our bandwidth...
Colossal! Wow your adjectives really add a bang to an otherwise pointless post in a series of pointless posts from you and your ilk.

Anyway, anyone who's even done a tiny amount of research here knows that Yahweh is equivalent to saying Jehovah, or any number of other similar titles based out of YHVH consonants derived from Hebrew linguistics.

outhouse

Atheistically
Or whatever Rome wanted people to learn.

Rome had nothing to do with any part of the evolution of god.

I don't see us ever sorting it out this far up the time line.

Sorry its sorted out quite well.

Its a matter of education on the topic.

Its your opinion. That's fine.

But if you followed the mythology and how it evolved it would give you a greater understanding of the people that created it, and why they wrote what they did.

sojourner

Colossal! Wow your adjectives really add a bang to an otherwise pointless post in a series of pointless posts from you and your ilk.

Anyway, anyone who's even done a tiny amount of research here knows that Yahweh is equivalent to saying Jehovah, or any number of other similar titles based out of YHVH consonants derived from Hebrew linguistics.
"Jehovah" wasn't derived either solely from YHVH or from Hebrew linguistics. It's a mushing together of the tetragrammaton and Elohim, and it's derived from the German translation.

So much for your having done a tiny amount of research...

My "Ilk" and I seem to be doing a real good job calling out your vapid posts for what they are...

sojourner

Not what I meant. I meant that God should be competent and not as Yahweh is portrayed.

Regards
DL
Why? Why "should" God be "competent?" What are you defining as "competent?" Why should God particularly live up to your standards? If you don't like Yahweh, then come up with your own dang god.

outhouse

Atheistically
By the way Atwill is a cook, who cannot get pasted me or any scholar for that matter.

Ill would rip him to shreds based on his lies..

Greatest I am

Rome had nothing to do with any part of the evolution of god.

Sorry its sorted out quite well.

Its a matter of education on the topic.

Its your opinion. That's fine.

But if you followed the mythology and how it evolved it would give you a greater understanding of the people that created it, and why they wrote what they did.

That would be Jews and Jews and Gnostic Christians share much enjoyable history which cannot be said of the Jewish and Gnostic Christian history with Christians who have persecuted both of us.

I am fairly well versed on how men created the God's but I am sure it does not jive with the foolish notions of God creating us.

You have forgotten the Jewish Divine Council concept and should look into it. Oh wait, you already have all the answers.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Why? Why "should" God be "competent?" What are you defining as "competent?" Why should God particularly live up to your standards? If you don't like Yahweh, then come up with your own dang god.

I have.

God should be competent because his book says that he is perfect.

If you think God should be incompetent then you have what you want.

Regards
DL