• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Despicable Action At DNC

esmith

Veteran Member
I have never been totally hostile of the Democrat Party until what happened at the Democrats Convention. When they only invite the mothers of those killed by the police and ignore the mothers or wives of Police Officers murdered in the past months then they, the Democrats, are a bunch of pandering (no words to describe).
I thought that this was supposed to be a Nation united not a Nation divided. But it appears that the Democrats are willing to stoop to the lowest levels to obtain votes.

I have never been totally hostile of the Democrat Party until what happened at the Democrats Convention.

So allowing the mothers whose children have been killed to speak at some political event was worse than say, being partially responsible for the destruction of Libya, or presiding over the greatest transfer of money away from the people and into the pockets of the financial elite?

No wonder there is so little political accountability when people get caught in an emotional tizzy over minutiae and trivia associated with 'the other side', yet major issues are barely worth a thought.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
When they only invite the mothers of those killed by the police and ignore...
Did they "ignore" them, really? I think you are grasping at straws and are looking for reasons to be upset. There is only so much slotted time and space, if they invited group X, they have to invite group Y who is associated with group Z, etc etc etc. In short, you are nitpicking trees and losing sight of the forest.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So allowing the mothers whose children have been killed to speak at some political event was worse than say, being partially responsible for the destruction of Libya, or presiding over the greatest transfer of money away from the people and into the pockets of the financial elite?
The issue looks more like (if the many news reports are correct) only mothers of black victims are to speak.
If true, this devalues fathers, white victims, Asian victims, Hispanic victims, & murdered cops.

But I don't have harsh criticism for this.
It's politically savvy, & she must do what it takes to win the election.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't recall much detail--and not going to search--but did the RNC/Trump do much to honor the police? I remember hearing about a moment of silence of the Baton Rouge officers, and sales/distribution of Blue Lives Matter buttons were common. But did they do anything formal for the police? Or for the victims of police excess?

Personally, I think both parties missed an opportunity by not including families of both victims and law enforcement, etc. Could have been a powerful, uniting message.

Underhill

I have never been totally hostile of the Democrat Party until what happened at the Democrats Convention. When they only invite the mothers of those killed by the police and ignore the mothers or wives of Police Officers murdered in the past months then they, the Democrats, are a bunch of pandering (no words to describe).
I thought that this was supposed to be a Nation united not a Nation divided. But it appears that the Democrats are willing to stoop to the lowest levels to obtain votes.

This notion that the two are on equal footing is silly. Don't get me wrong, both are a tragedy. The police deserve every honor for their sacrifice. But the protest are not just about lost lives. They are about killings that have not been reconciled. The killers of police are usually killed and if not, the courts are swift in meeting out justice, usually with the harshest penalties. That is not even close to true when it comes to officers who shoot the innocent.

esmith

Veteran Member
This notion that the two are on equal footing is silly. Don't get me wrong, both are a tragedy. The police deserve every honor for their sacrifice. But the protest are not just about lost lives. They are about killings that have not been reconciled. The killers of police are usually killed and if not, the courts are swift in meeting out justice, usually with the harshest penalties. That is not even close to true when it comes to officers who shoot the innocent.
If they were innocent then the officer or officers involved with have been found guilty. Of course that doesn't matter to some.

esmith

Veteran Member
Did they "ignore" them, really? I think you are grasping at straws and are looking for reasons to be upset. There is only so much slotted time and space, if they invited group X, they have to invite group Y who is associated with group Z, etc etc etc. In short, you are nitpicking trees and losing sight of the forest.
Then don't invite either group X,Y or Z

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Police officers and their families have been mentioned several times already at the convention, including last night, but probably after you had already turned to O'Reilly and Hannity for "news". Hey, when you come around and agree with "black lives matter", then you might have a right to complain, but you haven't so you shouldn't.

Just more partisan nonsense, esmith.

esmith

Veteran Member
Police officers and their families have been mentioned several times already at the convention, including last night, but probably after you had already turned to O'Reilly and Hannity for "news". Hey, when you come around and agree with "black lives matter", then you might have a right to complain, but you haven't so you shouldn't.

Just more partisan nonsense, esmith.
Under no circumstances would I ever agree with Black Lives Matter. I will only agree with All Lives Matter.

FYI I haven't watched anything but local news since the dog and pony shows of the RNC and DNC started.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Then don't invite either group X,Y or Z
Ya know
It might be easier to reach a workable solution to the problems (note the plural) if people like you and Al Sharpton would stop describing them as if it were a war between two armies.
I'm no #BLM supporter. I believe that they will result in more deaths by violence, especially among young black men. But treating any attention given them as a battle against the police isn't productive.
Those mothers were grieving parents. Putting them and their issue onstage is hardly despicable. Your selective outrage is virulently partisan.
Tom

If they were innocent then the officer or officers involved with have been found guilty. Of course that doesn't matter to some.

Err, it's nothing about whether or not they are innocent. It's about whether or not it is considered that the officers operated within the boundaries of 'correct procedure'. Much of this relates to very subjective judgements regarding threat and the use of 'justifiable force'. You really think the justice system is flawlessly objective and cops are as honest as the saints?

Even if you accept that 90% of police officers are great people who only do their best to help people, that still leaves 10% which is enough to cause most of these headline cases. It would be truly miraculous if there weren't 10% of cops who are guilty of overstepping the limits of their authority on occasions. Cops are human after all, and many humans aren't great people. I'd be amazed if 10% of any profession weren't guilty of abusing their position to some extent.

esmith

Veteran Member
Could be, but that is the opinion that I and a couple of local LEO's have. I'll go with them.

esmith

Veteran Member
Personally, I don't think that this is a remotely honest statement.
Of course, all I have to go on is your posts on RF.
Tom
You will notice the word "totally". I do have serious objections to some (actually most) Democrats whereas there are others that I agree with on various subjects. So, I would suggest you try and gather all the facts before you make, (being nice here) an inaccurate statement..
However, I do see the national Democratic party rapidly becoming the party of the extreme leftist ideology.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
You will notice the word "totally". I do have serious objections to some (actually most) Democrats whereas there are others that I agree with on various subjects. So, I would suggest you try and gather all the facts before you make, (being nice here) an inaccurate statement..
However, I do see the national Democratic party rapidly becoming the party of the extreme leftist ideology.
You can't point fingers for extremity when your champion currently believes that the solution to immigration is a literal wall. SAD!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If they were innocent then the officer or officers involved with have been found guilty.

Esmith! You forgot to mention on what planet an officer who wrongfuly murders a Black man, Black woman, or Black child is typically found guilty of the crime. Gosh! It's almost like you're so poorly informed that you think it's typical here on Earth!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Under no circumstances would I ever agree with Black Lives Matter. I will only agree with All Lives Matter.

FYI I haven't watched anything but local news since the dog and pony shows of the RNC and DNC started.

Do you agree with Blue Lives Matter?

esmith

Veteran Member
You can't point fingers for extremity when your champion currently believes that the solution to immigration is a literal wall. SAD!
So how are you suggesting we keep people from crossing our borders illegal. Or do you go for the open borders people?