• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depicting Other Religion's Figures

Should we censor our religions' characterizations of other religions' leaders?

• &%$#%^&

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Don't Censor

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

Tumah

Veteran Member
If your religion sees another religion's leader or other such important figure in less than ideal light, do you think it should be OK to speak openly about it?

I notice that Christians do not hesitate to speak openly about how their Bible characterizes the Pharisees, the progenitors of Rabbinic Judaism of which I am a part.
Personally, I accept it and move on. Railing against it isn't going to get it out of their book.

Should I likewise be able to speak openly about Jesus and his family as depicted in my religious texts?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Provided the distinction between constructive critique and being a $#@% are recognized? In my country, why not?

Of course, in my country, you can choose to be a $#@% as well. And when one does so, it says much about the character and honor of the person doing the speaking. Far more than it does about the thing they are speaking about.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If your religion sees another religion's leader or other such important figure in less than ideal light, do you think it should be OK to speak openly about it?

I notice that Christians do not hesitate to speak openly about how their Bible characterizes the Pharisees, the progenitors of Rabbinic Judaism of which I am a part.
Personally, I accept it and move on. Railing against it isn't going to get it out of their book.

Should I likewise be able to speak openly about Jesus and his family as depicted in my religious texts?

In my opinion? Yep.

You may or may not cop verbal flak for it (which would be other people exercising their freedom of speech) but you should be able to talk about it. There is a line somewhere (I'm not a believer in 100% free speech) but you'd basically need to find a way to advocate direct physical violence to cross it, in simple terms.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Frankly I would be interested to hear about it.

Also the Pharisees, most of what little I know I learned in Catholic school. Possibly not the most objective source;)
Tom

Unification

What outward "Christians" seem unaware of, is that those Pharisees represent their own, and all religious leaders that people seem to trust in and put their faith in as opposed to their own better judgment in their conscience mind. Follow the leader. The leaders that teach outwardly, a skydaddy, and all of the other many vain false doctrines and theologies.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Yes, I say let freedom of thought and speech reign. But my, my, holding anything against Jews today for some action 2,000 years ago is almost laughable. And I hope you have nothing bad to say about Jesus and his family. They seem like nice enough people.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes, I say let freedom of thought and speech reign. But my, my, holding anything against Jews today for some action 2,000 years ago is almost laughable. And I hope you have nothing bad to say about Jesus and his family. They seem like nice enough people.
I'm not talking about speaking negatively about people who live today..
I'm talking about [from the Christian side] mentioning the Pharisees in a negative light (as depicted in the NT). And [from the Jewish side] depicting Jesus in a negative way (as discussed in the Talmud, etc.).

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm not talking about speaking negatively about people who live today..
I'm talking about [from the Christian side] mentioning the Pharisees in a negative light (as depicted in the NT). And [from the Jewish side] depicting Jesus in a negative way (as discussed in the Talmud, etc.).
That's all valid to talk about; it's critiquing history. Its importance is what you ascribe to it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Rejection is allowed, but insults creates only hatred.

Insults? I'm far more concerned with legal inequalities. Once we have those cleaned up, maybe we'll be an advanced enough race to start piddling around with petty insults.
Remember, sticks and stones may broke my bones, but getting thrown into gaol for being a dirty atheist/***/apostate actually really hurts.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
and Rape encourages Emasculation and internment ..

*scratches his head*

You have me confuzzled. It does, of course...I'm just wondering what your intent was.
Apologies in advance, it's been a long day, and my brain appears to have packed it in about an hour ago.