• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demons in Christianity

TheScholar

Scholar
Recently I have begun studying Demons in Christianity. I know they make several appearances in the New Testament, but beyond that I don't know much about the widely held beliefs or the history of Christian Demonology. Does anyone know much or have any resources on the matter?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We have Demons in the New Testament, I think they generally don't hold power enough to be a concern, after Jesus died on the cross for our sins, the demonic realm weakened to a point where you really have to ask them (demons) into your life, and you'd be doing that on purpose, I suppose.

Hail Jesus,

-disciple

There is a wealth of information on the is subject, if you wish to consult the watchtower library and search the subject "demons". You can google it.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
A demon is any evil spirit that works for Satan for the purpose of separating as many souls from God as possible. The first and most dangerous of these sprits are fallen angels, however any fallen spirit can be called demonic.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
We have Demons in the New Testament, I think they generally don't hold power enough to be a concern, after Jesus died on the cross for our sins, the demonic realm weakened to a point where you really have to ask them (demons) into your life, and you'd be doing that on purpose, I suppose.

Hail Jesus,

-disciple

Well, not only can you invite demons into your life by messing with stuff you shouldn't be messing with, demons tend to save their strongest attacks for those who are drawing ever closer to God. St. Anthony the Great was tormented by demons, for example: Anthony the Great - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A more modern example is of Anneliese Michel, the inspiration for the Exorcism of Emily Rose movie, who was a very devout young Catholic woman: The Entire Case History of Anneliese Michel – The REAL “Emily Rose”. [Warning: Shocking Content] | Diabolical Confusions

Last edited:

von bek

I have read in some books on the subject that in past centuries the Church made a distinction between "devils" and "demons". Devils were exclusively fallen angels while demons were any sort of evil spirit. In modern times the distinctions between the two became blurred and nowadays the two words are used interchangeably. Not sure if that actually was the case in medieval times, perhaps a knowledgeable Catholic or Orthdox Christian can confirm or correct me. As a Buddhist, I don't have a dog in this fight; but, I do find the subject interesting...

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, not only can you invite demons into your life by messing with stuff you shouldn't be messing with, demons tend to save their strongest attacks for those who are drawing ever closer to God.

Ah, that's right. It's sort of like, opportunistic, but purposeful to hinder coming closer to Jesus.

Last edited:

TheScholar

Scholar
I have read in some books on the subject that in past centuries the Church made a distinction between "devils" and "demons". Devils were exclusively fallen angels while demons were any sort of evil spirit. In modern times the distinctions between the two became blurred and nowadays the two words are used interchangeably. Not sure if that actually was the case in medieval times, perhaps a knowledgeable Catholic or Orthdox Christian can confirm or correct me. As a Buddhist, I don't have a dog in this fight; but, I do find the subject interesting...

Good to know. I also find it interesting.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I've never heard that before.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
From my understanding, "devil" comes from "diablos" which means "adversary" or something along those lines. Demons are fallen angels who are adversaries to God and to His people--IOW, demons are devils.

Last edited by a moderator:

InChrist

Free4ever
Recently I have begun studying Demons in Christianity. I know they make several appearances in the New Testament, but beyond that I don't know much about the widely held beliefs or the history of Christian Demonology. Does anyone know much or have any resources on the matter?

Along with the Bible, a very good resource is a book called "Biblical Demonology" by Merrill E. Unger.

Samantha Truman

As many have stated before, demons are fallen angels. Throughout the Bible we see symbolism of stars representing angels. Review Revelation 12:4--it's suggested that 1/3 of the angels rebelled with Satan. Also notice Revelation 12:9

I've had many experiences (unfortunately) with demons. Even saw one once. It was a large black phantom. Not features, just a shadow of a head, the shoulders and the chest--no feet. And it floated backwards away from me and through the wall. We've had books be thrown across the room; water faucets turn on by themselves; doors slam.

Parsimony

I've had many experiences (unfortunately) with demons. Even saw one once. It was a large black phantom. Not features, just a shadow of a head, the shoulders and the chest--no feet. And it floated backwards away from me and through the wall. We've had books be thrown across the room; water faucets turn on by themselves; doors slam.
Interesting. Any idea why there would be such a spirit on your property?

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
I do not believe in either Satan as the devil, or demons. Yes, I am a Christian, with Southern Baptist roots.

For starters, Satan is a Hebrew term, and it means Adversary or Acuser, depending on its context. Everywhere in the OT that the Hebrew uses Satan, it is actually ha-satan. Ha in Hebrew = the. So it is essentially saying "The Satan" or more accurately "The Accuser." The term is a title, not a name.

Demons in the NT are usually some type of disease or affliction that Jesus cured. Epilepsy, blindness, deafness, etc. Nothing supernatural about diseases and afflictions. Curing them was still a miracle, minus the demonology. Ancient man did not have an understanding of medical science like we do today.

My belief in God includes Him being omnipotent and the creator. If Satan or demons truly existed and were His arch enemy, God could simply snap His divine fingers and uncreate them. Satan is subject to God's will and divine authority. He can't do anything without permission. Christianity tends to make Satan out as a god or demigod, but since there is only one God...

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
Throughout the Bible we see symbolism of stars representing angels. Review Revelation 12:4--it's suggested that 1/3 of the angels rebelled with Satan. Also notice Revelation 12:9

This needs clarification...

Rev 12:4 says nothing about angels being cast anywhere. The Greek term for heaven in this verse actually means cosmos. Literally, the verse is saying that the serpent's tail swept 1/3 of the stars out of the cosmos and down to earth...which we know is impossible. Ancient man did not have any clue how big or how far away stars were. The verse is metaphorical.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is a must read:

Flint, V. (1999). The Demonisation of Magic and Sorcery in Late Antiquity: Christian Redefinitions of Pagan Religions. Witchcraft and Magic in Europe: Ancient Greece and Rome, 277-348.

I'll see about looking at my sources and whether I can give you a good bibliography/recommended reading.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
J. M. Blair's doctoral thesis is a must read for understanding the OT in light of later demonology and is apparently available from amazon or some similar site (I obtained it from ProQuest; if you have access you can obtain it there for free) :

Blair, J. M. (2009). De-demonising the Old Testament: An Investigation of Azazel, Lilith, Deber, Qeteb and Reshef in the Hebrew Bible (Vol. 37). Mohr Siebeck.

All volumes of Demons, Spirits, Witches by G. Klaniczay & É. Pócs (Eds.) is probably the most relevant.

Johnstone, N (2006). The Devil and Demonism in Early Modern England (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History).

The main problem is that the evolution of Christian demonology can't really be separated from the evolution of Christian conceptions of magic, heresy, superstition, & witchcraft. The history of modern historical study of witchcraft is itself a field and one which is rather large (e.g., scholarship on Murray's contributions and failures, the influence of Keith Thomas' Religion & the Decline of Magic, Gardnerian Wicca, etc.). The scholarship on the subjects themselves is incredibly vast.

Samantha Truman

Interesting. Any idea why there would be such a spirit on your property?

They've been around ever since my father was kid. Not sure why they (there's definitely more than one) like to hang around where we are.

CDWolfe, I don't think you read Rev. 12:9 "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

If Satan or The Adversary was merely afflictions, then how does a medical ailment create deception? How then are medical afflictions fight Michael? Michael an his angels are spirit beings; they're not subject to ailments as physical people are.

Read Ezekiel 28:12-19. Particularly notice that the King of Tyre is described as a covering cherub--a cherub is an angel. Any dictionary search provides this meaning.

I think you also ignored when I said "stars" are metaphoric for angels. But I don't like to debate or involve in any sort of contention. If you don't agree with me, that's fine.