• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define the Palestine you think should be Free

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Various peoples have lived in the region that is now Israel and Jordan and the Sinai for centuries, by some accounts, for longer than Islam and Christianity have been around.

So how would you - geographically - create a country called "Palestine"? Why would you do it that way?

I would make it out of the SW corner of Jordan, the southern part of Israel (not including Gaza), and a part of the eastern-most Sinai. I think that a lasting peace cannot occur as long as Israel is the only country making sacrifices to create a homeland for people that recently have been called "Palestinians".

In addition, I wonder why similar actions aren't taken on behalf of the Kurds, Yazidis, Coptics, and other peoples who have been robbed of their traditional homelands in the ME.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Is the length of time a land is occupied by a certain group of people the measuring stick we are using here? If that's true, we can always just dissolve the USA and give the land to the first nations to divvy up as they please

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So how would you - geographically - create a country called "Palestine"?

I'd recognize the sovereignty of a Palestinian state over the extent of the West Bank and Gaza as they stand now (or rather, prior to October 2023).

Why would you do it that way?

This is the territory currently held and occupied by the Palestinian people.

It's a starting point. Other territorial claims can be sorted out through negotiation. Land illegally confiscated from individual Palestinians outside the territory of a sovereign Palestine would be a matter for the courts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is the length of time a land is occupied by a certain group of people the measuring stick we are using here? If that's true, we can always just dissolve the USA and give the land to the first nations to divvy up as they please

In the cases where the indigenous nation didn't freely and properly cede their territory, that's exactly what should happen.

... though in practice, this might more often manifest as compensation for stolen land than actually giving the land back, depending what the indigenous nations request and negotiate.