• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Reflections

Deidre

It seems that Sagan focused upon that rarest of atheists....the strong atheist.
Those of us who disbelieve in gods because there's no evidence/proof will
typically notice that there's no evidence/proof that gods cannot exist.
Ya just can't be certain of such stuff.

VERY well stated!!

To state with certainty as a theist that a God must exist, or does exist…and to state the polar opposite with certainty as an atheist…is arrogant on both ends of the spectrum, indeed.

Dionysus

┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓
I'm surprised as well. He seems to attach gnosticism to atheim. He never made the "stupid" comment though. Here it is in context:
"Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheist. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do know to be sure that no such God exist ..." "Conversations with Carl Sagan", University Press of Missisipi, 2006

Dionysus

┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓
Portman.png

Deidre

"Christianity, above all, consoles; but there are naturally happy souls who do not need consolation. Consequently, Christianity begins by making such souls unhappy, for otherwise it would have no power over them." ~ Andre Gide (1869-1951), French author, won Nobel Prize for Literature in 1947

Wirey

Fartist
I have these two on my wall at work:

Don't watch the clock, do what it does. Keep going - Sam Levenson

Either I will find a way, or I will make one - Phillip Sydney

Plus a copy of "Invictus", just to remind me.

Deidre

Something that has been a head scratcher for me as of late, is when I see people trying to ‘reinvent’ old religions. If you have to reconstruct an ancient belief system to fit with your worldview, then you’re not really a follower of said religion. Maybe you’re just not ready to admit that you’re an atheist.

:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
polyatheist-atheism-gnu-new-funny-lol-positive-strong-agnosticism-theism-atheist-religion.jpg

This one reminds me of a criticism I once heard....that we must know of all the gods in whom we disbelieve. I always disbelieved in any who fit the definition. To personally know of them is unnecessary.

Deidre

polyatheist-atheism-gnu-new-funny-lol-positive-strong-agnosticism-theism-atheist-religion.jpg

This one reminds me of a criticism I once heard....that we must know of all the gods in whom we disbelieve. I always disbelieved in any who fit the definition. To personally know of them is unnecessary.

they all look angry, just as i imagined. ^_^

Deidre

Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma.
Sam Harris

Not a fan of Sam Harris, but this quote caught my eye.