• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhists don't believe in G-d: why should they have a scripture then?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You say Buddhist is not Hindu I request you to define what is Hindu. It is hard to understand?

Well, that is not relevant, though; my definition. What is relevant is the usage, of the label. so, im sure you would know more about that than me. So why isn't Buddhism different enough in religion, and geographic variance, to not be Hindu?

Last edited:

tiki

বরিশালের রাজকুমারী
Well, that is not relevant, though; my definition. What is relevant is the usage, of the label. so, you im sure you would know more about that than me. So why isn't Buddhism different enough in religion, and geographic variance, to not be Hindu?
I don't say it is Hindu or not Hindu I recommend you to read my words. I said SOME PEOPLE thought Buddhism is sect of Hinduism. Also I said labels are not important for me.

Many Hindus live at Nepal also at Sri Lanka they are near? No. Hindus at Nepal are more close to Buddhists at Thailand then to Hindus at Sri Lanka.

You can not say what is Hindu it is not a religion it is so many ones. Saivist Hindu believes TOTALLY different from Vaishnava Hindu. Only you can say they are little bit same in some ways.

Hinduism is dharmic religion.
Buddhism is dharmic religion.

Hinduism believes rebirth.
Buddhism believes rebirth.

Hinduism believes karma.
Buddhism believes karma.

Both worship mostly same deity's.

But also you can not say Buddhism is 1 religion because it is many.

David M

Buddha spoke strongly against the then Hinduism and Hindu priests of his time.
Didn't he?
Regards

Not a relevant question, Martin Luther spoke strongly against the state of Catholicism and against Catholic Priests, yet Lutherans are still Christians.

Shia and Sunni disagree on various subjects related to Islam, but both are mulsim.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, I think the Buddha knew that we are all one with the universe, call that God, Consciousness or whatever, its all the same, if he did bring up that there was a god, his disciples would have made a God out of that, just as they made statues of him well after his death.
A statue is a statue, not an idol in Buddhism. Nor is the Buddha viewed as a deity. However, many Buddhists will pray to various deities for help, but the general view is that these are minor characters on the world stage as they, also like humans, come and go.

metis

I don't say it is Hindu or not Hindu I recommend you to read my words. I said SOME PEOPLE thought Buddhism is sect of Hinduism. Also I said labels are not important for me.

Many Hindus live at Nepal also at Sri Lanka they are near? No. Hindus at Nepal are more close to Buddhists at Thailand then to Hindus at Sri Lanka.

You can not say what is Hindu it is not a religion it is so many ones. Saivist Hindu believes TOTALLY different from Vaishnava Hindu. Only you can say they are little bit same in some ways.

Hinduism is dharmic religion.
Buddhism is dharmic religion.

Hinduism believes rebirth.
Buddhism believes rebirth.

Hinduism believes karma.
Buddhism believes karma.

Both worship mostly same deity's.

But also you can not say Buddhism is 1 religion because it is many.
Even though Buddhism came out of Hinduism and also uses many shared words and names, they really are quite different even at the basic stage. Whereas Hinduism is very much a religion, Buddhism can be considered as a general philosophy with some quasi-religious attachments. I can explain this if need be.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Buddhism can be considered as a general philosophy with some quasi-religious attachments

I suppose you would pretty much have to do so, Metis, if you understood belief in deities to be a central, necessary characteristic attribute of a religion.

Which as you know I find an odd stance for one to have, but I suppose not everyone cares what I think... :)

metis

I suppose you would pretty much have to do so, Metis, if you understood belief in deities to be a central, necessary characteristic attribute of a religion.

Which as you know I find an odd stance for one to have, but I suppose not everyone cares what I think... :)
OK, let me elaborate a bit, and thanks for the poke.

Deities in general are not that important in Buddhism, and many even question whether believing and/or praying to any does any good whatsoever. However, a lot depends on which raft one adheres to and in which location. A Buddhist monk I talked with many times years ago told me that an American Buddhist would hardly recognize small-village practice in Vietnam where he served for three years. There, one will find many who will pray regularly, whereas here there's more emphasis put on meditation, minus prayers of supplication like one finds with the Abrahamics.

Speaking of which, meditation is central to Buddhism as one cannot seriously deal with dharma (teachings) and their applications without doing so. Zen practitioners will just tell ya to meditate, even if you have nothing in mind to meditate about-- "just do it", iow. OTOH, some of the Mahayana rafts, including Tibetan Buddhism for example, heavily use "contemplative meditation", as does the Theravada raft.

Again, I still with the above may still be somewhat vague, but thanks to LD for forcing me at least clarify my last post.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
However, a lot depends on which raft one adheres to and in which location. A Buddhist monk I talked with many times years ago told me that an American Buddhist would hardly recognize small-village practice in Vietnam where he served for three years. There, one will find many who will pray regularly, whereas here there's more emphasis put on meditation, minus prayers of supplication like one finds with the Abrahamics.

Indeed, Buddhism is immensely diverse in approach and it's actually quite difficult to make generalisations. It's also in the process of adapting to western culture.

tiki

বরিশালের রাজকুমারী
Even though Buddhism came out of Hinduism and also uses many shared words and names, they really are quite different even at the basic stage. Whereas Hinduism is very much a religion, Buddhism can be considered as a general philosophy with some quasi-religious attachments. I can explain this if need be.
If your westerner probably you can not see what is different from Sankhya and Buddhist person. But NO body is gonna say Sankhya is not Hindu.

Also there's many sects of Buddhists do you say ALL they are not like Hindu? What Buddhist sects do you compare to what Hindu sects?

Yes Buddhism is philosophy also is Hinduism. You can be Buddhist and atheist also you can be Hindu and be atheist.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Not a relevant question, Martin Luther spoke strongly against the state of Catholicism and against Catholic Priests, yet Lutherans are still Christians.

There is a strong similarity among Jesus and Buddha.
Jesus believed in ONENESS of G-d yet the Christians believe in Trinity.
Buddha believed in G-d yet the Buddhists don't believe in G-d; of course one could differ with me.
Jesus spoke strongly against the Jewish clergy/Pharisees/Sadducees.
So did Buddha against the then Hindu clergy/Brahmins.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

It is a wrong concept. The founders of all revealed religions came from One-True-God; none of them from the other religion.
Regards

metis

If your westerner probably you can not see what is different from Sankhya and Buddhist person. But NO body is gonna say Sankhya is not Hindu.

Also there's many sects of Buddhists do you say ALL they are not like Hindu? What Buddhist sects do you compare to what Hindu sects?

Yes Buddhism is philosophy also is Hinduism. You can be Buddhist and atheist also you can be Hindu and be atheist.
As you sorta imply above, "Hinduism" is almost impossible to define since there are so many variations. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, there are many different rafts within Buddhism, and they also vary a lot.

However, with that being said, when we consider the preponderance practitioners in both, there are quite a few significant differences, and one biggy is that most Hindus posit a creator-god ("Brahman") whereas Buddhism doesn't posit a belief in a creator-god. There's also differences in the areas of reincarnation/rebirth, moksha/nirvana, atman/no atman, etc.

I would say the closest Hindu/Buddhist comparison is with the non-theistic branches of Hinduism as compared to some of the Mahayana rafts.

metis

It is a wrong concept. The founders of all revealed religions came from One-True-God; none of them from the other religion.
Regards
It is literally impossible for you to know that. Belief, yes; know, no. Because of this, I would suggest that the Buddhist approach makes vastly more sense because it doesn't allow for blind faith based on nothing more than hearsay.

tiki

বরিশালের রাজকুমারী
As you sorta imply above, "Hinduism" is almost impossible to define since there are so many variations. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, there are many different rafts within Buddhism, and they also vary a lot.

However, with that being said, when we consider the preponderance practitioners in both, there are quite a few significant differences, and one biggy is that most Hindus posit a creator-god ("Brahman") whereas Buddhism doesn't posit a belief in a creator-god. There's also differences in the areas of reincarnation/rebirth, moksha/nirvana, atman/no atman, etc.

I would say the closest Hindu/Buddhist comparison is with the non-theistic branches of Hinduism as compared to some of the Mahayana rafts.
You say there is much difference but you put all Hindus in a pail and all Buddhists in a pail. It is not so.