• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Reading Rainbow!

Kharisym

This is the forum for the Bible Reading Rainbow. People are free to join and leave as they see fit, however you must have joined us in reading the pertinent section to join the discussion.

Assuming there's no objections, the format is as follows:
Each week we'll have 5 days to read a predetermined number of pages from the bible starting Saturday through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will be open for discussion, though discussion can still take place any other day of the week. When Sunday rolls around, we start on the next chunk.

To keep things moderately clean, let's figure out what the next chunk will be using this thread: Anyone interested in a bible reading rainbow? and then the decision will be posted here.

The bible I *think* we'll be using will be the World English Bible.
Here's the pdf: https://ebible.org/eng-web/engweb_p_color6x9.pdf
Here's their webpage: World English Bible

The PDF even has pictures for Bible Bumpkins like me!

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is the forum for the Bible Reading Rainbow. People are free to join and leave as they see fit, however you must have joined us in reading the pertinent section to join the discussion.

Each week we'll have 5 days to read a predetermined number of pages from the bible starting Saturday through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will be open for discussion, though discussion can still take place any other day of the week. When Sunday rolls around, we start on the next chunk.

To keep things moderately clean, let's figure out what the next chunk will be using this thread: Anyone interested in a bible reading rainbow? and then the decision will be posted here.

" World English Bible "

Does it belong to JWs, please? Right?
If yes, any special reason, why to read from it? Right?
If there is a difference in the text and or the translation, how to resolve it, please? Right?

Regards

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
" World English Bible "

If there is a difference in the text and or the translation, how to resolve it, please? Right?

Regards
No, it is not a JW Bible.

Kenny

Premium Member

Do you have which scriptures we will be reading?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
" World English Bible "

No, it is not a JW Bible.

Regards

Kharisym

paarsurrey said:
" World English Bible "

Regards

What language would you like it in and I'll see if there's a translation for you?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What language would you like it in and I'll see if there's a translation for you?
Urdu is my first language, but this problem one would face in every language of the world, please. Right?
English is my second language, one faces this problem in English also, please, right?

Regards

Kharisym

Urdu is my first language, but this problem one would face in every language of the world, please. Right?
English is my second language, one faces this problem in English also, please, right?

Regards

If a native language version isn't the issue, then I'm not sure what you're asking.

I did find this version of the world english bible with an urdu translation. I don't know how good it is, but its what I could find: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hk.itchurch.urduwebbible&hl=en_US&gl=US

Kharisym

Did you want it to be a discussion or debate

Debate is a possibility, yes. This is going to be a group of diverse backgrounds and therefore there could end up being clashes that go beyond attempts at understanding and into the realm of opinions.

In my case, there's a very good chance that a debate may spawn from this--I'm a rather staunch atheist and I'm very comfortable in that position, and therefore its inevitable that something is going to crop up where my stance is going to be very different from a believer's.

But if there is no debate, that's perfectly fine too. What happens, happens, and I'll achieve my goals just the same.

Kenny

Premium Member
Debate is a possibility, yes. This is going to be a group of diverse backgrounds and therefore there could end up being clashes that go beyond attempts at understanding and into the realm of opinions.

In my case, there's a very good chance that a debate may spawn from this--I'm a rather staunch atheist and I'm very comfortable in that position, and therefore its inevitable that something is going to crop up where my stance is going to be very different from a believer's.

But if there is no debate, that's perfectly fine too. What happens, happens, and I'll achieve my goals just the same.
OK - just hope the moderators understand that so that if it is more than just one-on-one... at least they know you want more than one.

Kharisym

Just read the preface and already I have some interesting questions:
  1. In the section of the preface, "What is different about the [WEB]?" there are several references to passages that were re-ordered or removed based on findings in the majority text Greek manuscripts. Does anyone consider these changes to be important or are they minor in nature?

2. Considering the preface's claim of Erasmus admitting to adding unproven sections to John, and considering the powerful influence translations based on those additions have had, how does this impact your faith? If true, this is direct admission that the bible has changed over time due to human influence--some of which was intentional--and therefore leaves open questions of what is really the word of God and what is not? Given this capacity for the bible to be influenced by humans, then all texts, no matter how old, can be 'tainted.'

Kenny

Premium Member
Just read the preface and already I have some interesting questions:
  1. In the section of the preface, "What is different about the [WEB]?" there are several references to passages that were re-ordered or removed based on findings in the majority text Greek manuscripts. Does anyone consider these changes to be important or are they minor in nature?

2. Considering the preface's claim of Erasmus admitting to adding unproven sections to John, and considering the powerful influence translations based on those additions have had, how does this impact your faith? If true, this is direct admission that the bible has changed over time due to human influence--some of which was intentional--and therefore leaves open questions of what is really the word of God and what is not? Given this capacity for the bible to be influenced by humans, then all texts, no matter how old, can be 'tainted.'
I think we took a sidestep here if we are talking about John instead of Genesis.

As I looked up the WEB - I didn't find a preface... Is that someone's personal viewpoint? And if so, what viewpoints did the person have?

Or should we start in Genesis?

Kharisym

I think we took a sidestep here if we are talking about John instead of Genesis.

As I looked up the WEB - I didn't find a preface... Is that someone's personal viewpoint? And if so, what viewpoints did the person have?

Or should we start in Genesis?

Try the PDF version I linked. From what I can tell, all bibles have a preface (Including the KJV). The preface lays out the translator's thoughts and methods for the translation.When taking a look at the KJV preface, it was LOOOOOONG. lol. (and still tough to read. And I mean long--probably two cycles to read the preface itself for the KJV)).

For the WEB, the preface is the two pages between the table of contents and genesis.

edit: Here's the KJV 1611 preface: 1611 King James Version | Houston Baptist University