• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia: Worst Drought on Record--Possible Evacuations--Food Shortage Worldwide

yuvgotmel

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=164072

World wheat supplies to decline
Monday, May 14, 2007

MAY 13 : The US government has forecasted that the world reserves of wheat, before next year’s harvest, will decline for a third-straight year to the lowest level in 26 years.

Global inventories will fall to 113.3 million metric tonne on May 31, 2008, down 5.8% from an estimated 120.4 million at the end of this month and the lowest since 1982, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) said in its first forecast of world wheat production for the market year that begins June 1. “I would consider those numbers to be fairly darned tight,” said Jason Britt, an analyst at Central States Commodities in Kansas City, Missouri. “When you put a world wheat number down around that level, prices will rise,” he said.
…
Supplies declined after the crop in Australia, the world’s third-largest exporter of the grain, was devastated by drought from May through September. Australia will produce 10.5 million metric tonne by May 31, 57% less than a year earlier, the USDA said. …

(more at link above)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=ankLLq8YeCBw&refer=australia
…
A drought has cut as much as 1 percentage point from economic growth, Prime Minister John Howard said. Australia's weather forecaster predicts only a 50 percent chance of average rainfall in the next three months.

``Many thousands of Australian farmers are affected by drought, the worst on record,'' Agriculture Minister Peter McGauran said in a statement released with 2007-08 budget papers. ``The funds will be available in the areas with the highest needs.''

The drought cut agricultural output by 22.9 percent in the fourth quarter, curbing earnings at grain traders AWB Ltd. and ABB Grain Ltd. Australia is the world's third-largest wheat and dairy exporter and No. 2 beef shipper. …

(more at link above)
http://www.theolympian.com/109/story/98988.html
…
SYDNEY, Australia — Almost everywhere you travel these days, people are talking about their weather — and how it has changed. Nowhere have I found this more true, though, than in Australia, where “the big dry,” a six-year record drought, has parched the Aussie breadbasket so severely that on April 19, Prime Minister John Howard actually asked the whole country to pray for rain. “I told people you have to pray for rain,” Howard remarked to me, adding, “I said it without a hint of irony.” …

(more at link above)
http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSPEK15498020070427

Australia drought is climate change warning: UK

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:56AM EDT

BEIJING (Reuters) - Drought-hit Australia may offer a warning of how climate change threatens core human needs, as the continent's food bowl faces the prospect of having irrigation cut off, Britain's climate change ambassador said.

Canberra has said it will halt irrigation to an area that usually grows over a third of the country's farm produce, if heavy rain does not fall in the next few weeks.

"If that happens, that is not just an economic blow to Australia, it will do significant damage beyond Australia because of its effect on world food prices," John Ashton told Reuters during a visit to the Chinese capital.

"That is a current threat which almost certainly, or at least very probably, arises from human-induced climate change."
Australia faced an "unprecedentedly dangerous" drought, Australian Prime Minister John Howard said last week. Parts of the country have been stricken for a decade. …

(more at link above)
http://www.economist.com/agenda/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9065059

…Australia's prime minister, John Howard, has announced that irrigation supply to the Murray-Darling basin (eastern Australia's main water resource) will be cut off if the drought-afflicted region does not receive heavy rainfall over the next two months. Given that the region is Australia's most important agricultural area, accounting for around two-thirds of farm output by value, such a decision would not only add to the woes of Australia's extremely weak agricultural sector. It could also have wider economic repercussions by boosting food-price inflation and hurting agricultural exports. All this would in turn affect the political scene…
…
The economic effects of Australia's drought crisis are likely to spill over into politics, particularly if the decision to cut off irrigation supply is taken. …

(more at link above)
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=56&ItemID=12655
…
The Prime Minister, John Howard, a hardened climate-change sceptic, delivered dire tidings to the nation's farmers yesterday. Unless there is significant rainfall in the next six to eight weeks, irrigation will be banned in the principal agricultural area. Crops such as rice, cotton and wine grapes will fail, citrus, olive and almond trees will die, along with livestock.

A ban on irrigation, which would remain in place until May next year, spells possible ruin for thousands of farmers, already debt-laden and in despair after six straight years of drought. …

(more at link above)
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Australia_s_drought_linked_to_globa_04202007.html

Australia's drought linked to global warming
…
But scientists said the link between climate change and the drying up of rivers in the vast Murray-DarlingBasin, which threatens the survival of Australia's prime agricultural zone, was strengthening.
"You can't say that definitively, but I guess on the balance of evidence from southern Australia, rainfall patterns appear to have shifted," Adelaide University's Professor of Natural Resources Science Wayne Meyer said.

"There's no question about the evidence in terms of increased temperature. We have seen this persistent increase in temperature over the last 30 or 50 years. All the projections are that that will continue."
Meyer said Australia, with its warm climate, vast deserts and lack of mountains, would be one of the first countries in the world to be hit by the hardships caused by global warming. …

(more at link above)
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21621315-952,00.html

TWO towns on the Darling Downs face evacuation because they have almost run out of water and cannot afford to indefinitely cart supplies.

Senior state bureaucrats have discussed the possibility of moving residents from Leyburn, population 200, and Killarney, home to 1500 people.

One of Leyburn's two bores has run dry and there are fears the other could follow.

It is costing $8000 a week to cart water to Killarney, which is at the source of the Murray Darling river system.

Water Services Association executive director Ross Young said the Government had the power to move people.

"I'm not sure it has ever been used in Australia because of an inability to supply water in a cost-effective manner, but water is becoming increasingly scarce," he said. "The reality is with no water, you can't live anywhere for long. If this goes on for years, there is a real question of how you provide water supplies to these communities."​

kadzbiz

This drought has been going on for 10 years FYI! Where I live, we haven't been allowed to use outside water for almost 3 years. I can't recall what grass looks like. My lawnmower has cobwebs on it. It is a major concern. Just this week I heard that power supplies may be dminished because they don't have enough water to keep things cool in the power plant. Then I heard that the gas company might be affect as well. My goodness. We'll be back in the dark ages soon. We can't even burn wood in some places because local councils have banned the use of it as it makes too much pollution. Crops are failing, prices a skyrocketing, people are stealing water! Sad state of affairs. And would you believe that our state government is still undecided if we need a desalination plant - wake up you politicians!

yuvgotmel

This drought has been going on for 10 years FYI! Where I live, we haven't been allowed to use outside water for almost 3 years. I can't recall what grass looks like. My lawnmower has cobwebs on it. It is a major concern. Just this week I heard that power supplies may be dminished because they don't have enough water to keep things cool in the power plant. Then I heard that the gas company might be affect as well. My goodness. We'll be back in the dark ages soon. We can't even burn wood in some places because local councils have banned the use of it as it makes too much pollution. Crops are failing, prices a skyrocketing, people are stealing water! Sad state of affairs. And would you believe that our state government is still undecided if we need a desalination plant - wake up you politicians!

Wow.. Thanks for posting. Please continue to post more on this. I, for one, am very interesting in hearing what all is going on down-under.

By the way, I have also heard that frogs are disappearing in your country too. Do you know anything about that?

kadzbiz

..... I have also heard that frogs are disappearing in your country too. Do you know anything about that?

I think that's a world-wide phenomenom actually. It's definitely true of this country though, especially in Queensland. I'm happy though as I've managed to keep my little pond alive and have at least a couple of frogs that have moved in. I must've done a good job of setting it up. I have fish, snails, yabbies, frogs and a variety of birds that just love it. So do I. I look at it thru the window as I work on my PC writing in forums.

yuvgotmel

I think that's a world-wide phenomenom actually. It's definitely true of this country though, especially in Queensland. I'm happy though as I've managed to keep my little pond alive and have at least a couple of frogs that have moved in. I must've done a good job of setting it up. I have fish, snails, yabbies, frogs and a variety of birds that just love it. So do I. I look at it thru the window as I work on my PC writing in forums.

Yes the frog disappearances are a worldwide problem. I'm glad to hear that you still have a pond surviving through the drought.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
The Darling river is apparently more like a series of puddles in sections and they're taking the locks out of the Murray to improve water flow. They put them in to control the flooding we used to get every year.
I remember 20 or so years ago going to see my cousin - whose family owns a sheep station right on the Murray river - and having to park the car 200 yards away from the house and walk across a bridge to get over the flood waters.
Times have certainly changed.

yuvgotmel

The Darling river is apparently more like a series of puddles in sections and they're taking the locks out of the Murray to improve water flow. They put them in to control the flooding we used to get every year.
I remember 20 or so years ago going to see my cousin - whose family owns a sheep station right on the Murray river - and having to park the car 200 yards away from the house and walk across a bridge to get over the flood waters.
Times have certainly changed.

I realize that the Global Warming topic can be heated, but do you see what is happening in your area as a possible sign of global warming?

kadzbiz

I realize that the Global Warming topic can be heated, but do you see what is happening in your area as a possible sign of global warming?

Anything could be a "possible" sign.

Salinity is a big problem around the Murray River region and that is a result of over grazing by cattle and sheep.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
This much is known that life balances all factors and so it will take care of all beings or enrgies in different forms.
I never worry cause I allow existence to decide in what form it wants me to be in at any time.
Love & rgds

kadzbiz

......This much is known that life balances all factors ......

I don't know how this relates to the post. The fact that salinity is rising because of overgrazing by cattle and sheep is proving that there is something out of balance here. Salt has no life as such and the trees have lost theirs.

The phrase doesn't even make sense to me. What factors are balanced? What life is doing the balancing? And known by whom?

yuvgotmel

Do either of you--who are from Australia--know of more recent news concerning the irrigation supply to the Murray-Darling basin (and when or if it may be cut off)???

Secondly, if irrigation is cut off to that area, will that further affect the wheat crops (or rather the lack thereof)???

Lastly, do you know any new information about possible evacuations to the two Darling cities or any other cities???

Thanx.

kadzbiz

Do.....you....know of more recent news concerning the irrigation supply to the Murray-Darling basin (and when or if it may be cut off)??? Secondly, if irrigation is cut off to that area, will that further affect the wheat crops (or rather the lack thereof)???Lastly, do you know any new information about possible evacuations to the two Darling cities or any other cities???Thanx.

I don't know too much about this subject, but have heard there are reductions in the water rights for fruit growers etc, obviously this would impact the production of crops, but how much I don't know. Farmers have been suffering for years now. The suicide rate for males on farms has increased dramatically. I have not heard anything about any such evacuation plans for any city. Why would you evacuate a place?

yuvgotmel

Farmers have been suffering for years now. The suicide rate for males on farms has increased dramatically.

Wow...

I have not heard anything about any such evacuation plans for any city. Why would you evacuate a place?

There are quite a number of news articles available on the possible need for evacuations. Here is one:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...15-952,00.html

TWO towns on the Darling Downs face evacuation because they have almost run out of water and cannot afford to indefinitely cart supplies.

Senior state bureaucrats have discussed the possibility of moving residents from Leyburn, population 200, and Killarney, home to 1500 people.

One of Leyburn's two bores has run dry and there are fears the other could follow.

It is costing $8000 a week to cart water to Killarney, which is at the source of the Murray Darling river system.

Water Services Association executive director Ross Young said the Government had the power to move people.

"I'm not sure it has ever been used in Australia because of an inability to supply water in a cost-effective manner, but water is becoming increasingly scarce," he said. "The reality is with no water, you can't live anywhere for long. If this goes on for years, there is a real question of how you provide water supplies to these communities."

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
dang.... those mormons sure got lucky... It is almost like they knew something like this was coming, with their prophet telling them to keep enough non-perishable food to feed our family for a year.

yep... almost like they know something is coming...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
dang.... those mormons sure got lucky... It is almost like they knew something like this was coming, with their prophet telling them to keep enough non-perishable food to feed our family for a year.

yep... almost like they know something is coming...
Well, keeping a stock pile is something many people do. Disaster sticks anytime, anywhere, and to believe other wise is foolish.

kadzbiz

.....the more people who stay prepared the better it will be for all of us........

Phew, that's great. I'd hate to think that as "still a seeker" that someone else will look after me because they are prepared! For I know that they couldn't turn me away.