• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Kraut - girl

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
-Who is Seargent Schulz?
-Unfortunately not.
-We didn't hang sheep thieves, they must live as sheeps in the herd and got sheared every year.
-No, we won't give him to you.
Sgt Schultz is everyone's favorite guard at Stalag 13 in an old TV show.
The trick question....
Mr Diesel's body was never found.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi, Selina. Nice to meet you.

How much of a nostalgia for the monarchy, if any, do you feel Germans have?

Are former West and East Germanies well integrated as of now? Is the fall of the Berlin Wall generally seen as a positive conquest?

Do you feel that either West or East Germany had some sort of transition pains related to reunification?

I realize that you are much too young to directly remember that time, but maybe people around you speak of those times.

Selinagirl

Hi, Selina. Nice to meet you.

How much of a nostalgia for the monarchy, if any, do you feel Germans have?

Are former West and East Germanies well integrated as of now? Is the fall of the Berlin Wall generally seen as a positive conquest?

Do you feel that either West or East Germany had some sort of transition pains related to reunification?

I realize that you are much too young to directly remember that time, but maybe people around you speak of those times.
The nostalgia we feel for the monarchy is quite small, if it's for the Kaiser(emperor) of the bcomplete German Empire, but the Kings of the federal states have quite more relation, especially our bavarian king Ludwig II who built Neuschwanstein still has many fans in conservative parts, allthough he allmost ruined Bavaria with his castle building projects.

Some of the eastern federal countries are still behind the western in economic and infrastructure and people from there are sometimes discriminated as "Ossis". What causes the most discontent are the high costs for the the pensions for example, which are paid as high as the DDR would have allthough the eastern citizens never paid in the pension fund of the BRD and that the money of the former DDR citizens was turned into BRD Mark 1:1 allthough the DDR Mark was quite less in worth. There is also a debate at the moment to reform or simply put away the Solidaritätszuschlag, the special tax for the building of infrastructure in the new federal countries. But i fhink, most of the people see the reunification as a positive thing.

Last edited:

Selinagirl

By the way, teligious organisations that have the public corporate status also have the right to let the state collect church taxes. Jehovas Witness gained that status a few years ago.
Thats one of the reasons why i will leave the catholic church when i'm 14 and can do that, because i don't want to pay extra taxes. You have to go to the town hall to do that if you are ina religious comuniity that has corporate status and tell there you are leaving your church, so they can put you away from the tax list. Many people in Germany leave their church for that reason.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
By the way, teligious organisations that have the public corporate status also have the right to let the state collect church taxes. Jehovas Witness gained that status a few years ago.
Thats one of the reasons why i will leave the catholic church when i'm 14 and can do that, because i don't want to pay extra taxes. You have to go to the town hall to do that if you are ina religious comuniity that has corporate status and tell there you are leaving your church, so they can put you away from the tax list. Many people in Germany leave their church for that reason.

If they do that do they sill attend church....
Paying Tax has little to do with belief.

What is the significance of being 14, are you recognised as adult then.?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

What does leaving one's church mean from the perspective of family and friends?

Selinagirl

If they do that do they sill attend church....
Paying Tax has little to do with belief.

What is the significance of being 14, are you recognised as adult then.?
When you turn 14, you are not longer a child but not yet adult, you can for example have sex at that age without your partner beeing punished, can be prosecuted for criminality and change your religion officially.

Selinagirl

What does leaving one's church mean from the perspective of family and friends?
Normally, it's no problem, you can still go to church but you don't get the sacraments. On the country its a little bit different, it may cause problems with the society in the village.