• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed school official thwarts school shooter

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
An armed school resources officer thwarted a shooter at a high school. The presence of armed staff prevented many casualties or possible deaths.

Good Man With a Gun Brings School Shooting To a Halt in Maryland
Most of us "lefties" here at RF are not anti-gun-- just anti-proliferation.

A friend of mine who was in the IDF and who lives in Israel thinks America is simply nuts allowing so many people here to have so much access to guns-- roughly 300,000,000 or so, according to recent estimates, which averages one gun for every man, woman, and child in the country.

According to stats and to most police, keeping a loaded gun in one's house is simply nuts, which is why so many cities have had gun buy-back programs.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I love actually reading the article instead of just the headline and assuming it means "arm up, everyone!"

"Melissa Cropper, president of the Ohio Federation of Teachers and a former teacher, disagreed. “I think it masks what the real problem is,” she said. “It places an unfair burden on teachers. Let’s talk about what type of guns should not be available to people.”

"That was a topic Mr. Myrick, who vividly recalls the damage that a relatively slow lever-action rifle caused on a high school campus, wanted to discuss, too. “If Luke Woodham had an AR-15, he probably would have killed 20 people instead of two,” he said. “There’s not a soul on the planet who needs an AR-15 except military.”​

suncowiam

A friend of mine who was in the IDF and who lives in Israel thinks America is simply nuts allowing so many people here to have so much access to guns-- roughly 300,000,000 or so, according to recent estimates, which averages one gun for every man, woman, and child in the country.

According to stats and to most police, keeping a loaded gun in one's house is simply nuts, which is why so many cities have had gun buy-back programs.

I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-"bad guy with a gun." Or anti-"stupid family with a gun."

Too many people that own guns shouldn't be owning guns at all.

suncowiam

I love actually reading the article instead of just the headline and assuming it means "arm up, everyone!"

"Melissa Cropper, president of the Ohio Federation of Teachers and a former teacher, disagreed. “I think it masks what the real problem is,” she said. “It places an unfair burden on teachers. Let’s talk about what type of guns should not be available to people.”

"That was a topic Mr. Myrick, who vividly recalls the damage that a relatively slow lever-action rifle caused on a high school campus, wanted to discuss, too. “If Luke Woodham had an AR-15, he probably would have killed 20 people instead of two,” he said. “There’s not a soul on the planet who needs an AR-15 except military.”​

I completely agree with this.

Why would it be acceptable when the mortality rate of teaching now gets pulled down to police or military?

Teachers teach and need to be peace makers at the same time? Plus they get paid like crap. What a great profession its turning out to be.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-"bad guy with a gun." Or anti-"stupid family with a gun."

Too many people that own guns shouldn't be owning guns at all.
That is a very difficult position to advocate for.
(It goes largely unnoticed.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Teachers teach and need to be peace makers at the same time? Plus they get paid like crap. What a great profession its turning out to be.
Instead of the "arming teachers" talking point so common on both sides,
what do you think of simply allowing only those volunteering for the
appropriate vetting & training being able to carry concealed?

Shaul

Premium Member

All of which doesn’t have much to do with this story. I’m sure you and your friend can sit around clucking your tongues and feel all self righteous about how you hate guns. Meanwhile, I ‘d say the students at this high school are damn glad someone there was armed and could stop this shooter from killing them.

Shaul

Premium Member
Instead of the "arming teachers" talking point so common on both sides,
what do you think of simply allowing only those volunteering for the
appropriate vetting & training being able to carry concealed?
Teachers could be vetted just as easily. Since that would increase the supply of those that could stop shooters. That’s what we want, right? To stop these shooters?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why would it be acceptable when the mortality rate of teaching now gets pulled down to police or military?
Thoughts....
- No one envisions school staff (not just teachers) who are armed acting as cops all day.
- A staffer is quite unlikely to ever use armed self defense during school.
To presume that concealed carry imposes the same risks as cops or soldiers isn't reasonable.
- Cops aren't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in Americastan.
Farming, fishing, & even groundskeeping are more dangerous.
- I see nothing in the news about any teachers being forced to take on the responsibility.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Teachers could be vetted just as easily. Since that would increase the supply of those that could stop shooters. That’s what we want, right? To stop these shooters?
Preferably without having to turn our teachers into military personnel.

Shaul

Premium Member

You aren’t addressing the article posted originally. You are addressing an entirely different article. Now actually go and read the original article that I posted a link to.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I completely agree with this.

I cannot imagine being a student in any school where the teacher has a firearm hanging on their side, on their desk, or even knowing they're packing. Talk about not conducive to learning! How can anyone learn in a hostile environment, especially if you have a strong aversion to guns? That actually does not make one feel safer at all. Think of it like hanging a battle axe on the wall, or a mace, or some other weapon designed to kill human beings. The only place that has in a classroom is in the art of armantents class, or military training of some sort. Not English Lit 101.