• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists Materialists?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is the reasoning behind the proposition that atheists are materialists?

I personally am an atheist an no materialist, so I'm curious why some seem to think that the two are necessarily related.

To me, atheism is primarily about rejecting theists' claims.

Rejecting doesn't require materialism.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I personally am an atheist an no materialist, so I'm curious why some seem to think that the two are necessarily related.

Terms and definitions bandy about causing confusion for sure. Now, what do you believe that you think does not fit into materialism? In my mind, to a typical atheist this is all just matter and energy moving around. What else is there to a typical atheist that can't be reduced to the movement of matter and energy?

I've always that it is rare for an atheist not to be a materialist from the definitions I use. I think many atheists do not really understand the definition of 'materialism'. Per Wikipedia:

Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all phenomena, including mental phenomena and consciousness, are identical with material interactions.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Terms and definitions bandy about causing confusion for sure. Now, what do you believe that you think does not fit into materialism? In my mind, to a typical atheist this is all just matter and energy moving around. What else is there to a typical atheist that can't be reduced to the movement of matter and energy?
Do you deny, then, that there are dualists or idealists, people who give credence to that idea is substantial? For example, they might claim that courage exists.

I've always that it is rare for an atheist not to be a materialist from the definitions I use. I think many atheists do not really understand the definition of 'materialism'. Per Wikipedia:

Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all phenomena, including mental phenomena and consciousness, are identical with material interactions.
The alternative is that "matter" is categorically something known.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Do you deny, then, that there are dualists or idealists, people who give credence to that idea is substantial? For example, they might claim that courage exists.
Certainly a materialist believes in courage as do all philosophies. Courage is a formed behavior involving only material interactions in a material brain per a materialist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Anti theist is rejecting thiest claims. Atheist is just disbelief in deities. Neither of the two have to do with materalism. Indont see the connection. Maybe Im wrong /shrugs/

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Anti theist is rejecting thiest claims. Atheist is just disbelief in deities. Neither of the two have to do with materalism. Indont see the connection. Maybe Im wrong /shrugs/
Anti-theist is opposed to god and religion. Atheist just rejects theist claims, usually because of disbelief.

The relation of atheism to materialism is put forth by some. If you don't see the connection, we are in the same boat.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

I know a great many atheists that believe they have a soul.
I also know many that believe in spirits and things similar to demons.

The only requirement you must meet to be an atheist is to not have a God belief.
So, simply because atheists do not believe in any God, they cannot believe in spirits, souls, and the like?

Laika

Premium Member

Materialism represents a view that consciousness is a property of matter. Its relationship with atheism, is that as consciousness is a property of the brain, of a special organisation of matter, you cannot have a god as a form of dis-embodied consciousness. it means that there are only "natural" phenemeona; nature causes itself and there is no need for a "prime mover" or creator. God cannot exist and is therefore impossible.

[edit: there are forms of materialism which argue that consciousness is a special form of matter and this leads to mysticism because it means god, as a dis-embodied consciousness could exist, or that it would closely resemble pantheism. not all forms of materialism are consistently athiest.]
The assocation is because there is a major difference between weak and strong atheism. Weak atheism ("lack of belief") is based on methodological naturalism, that is using science as a method to identify natural causes for phenemeona. this does not exclude the possibility of a god, and leaves room for a god of the gaps. Strong atheism involves a knowledge cliam that "god does not exist" or that "god is impossible" and is closely associated with materialism.

Based on my experiences on RF I'd say that the two are very different from one another to the point that they share almost nothing in common. Weak Atheism is based on scepticism of religious cliams, and attacking the plausability of religious belief. It therefore is compatable with tolerance and secularism based on the assumption that reason acts as a neutral abritator in the conflict between religion/science and religion/atheism.

Meanwhile, Strong Atheism asserts that atheism is a fact and so is significantly less tolerant of theism. it is often known as "scientific materialism" or can be presented as "scientific atheism" because it involves a knowledge cliam about the nature of reality. The extent to which materialists assert that atheism is true is debatable and does vary from one materialist to another. There is no single school of materialism.

The most extreme (to my knowledge) is eliminative materialism which denies the existence not only of god but also of consciousness. This is typically the form of materialism most theists are afriad of because it is it still essentially dualistic; that because the world is divided into consciousness and matter, you 'eliminate' consciousness and are left with matter. it is therefore deeply nihilistic and involves a passive nihilism (that as there is no consciousnes, there is no god, soul, meaning, ethics, etc.).

Dialectical materialism (the marxist one) is not this extreme but argues that matter is primary, and that matter causes consciousness. it is atheist because if matter causes consciousness, there can be no consciousness which causes matter, i.e. no god 'creating' the universe. It is nihilistic, but in a much more limited sense of active nihilism in denying religious cliams as an illusion and arguing for a new understanding of objective reality. I'd underline that there are different forms of materialism but these are the two I most recognise.

The reason weak and strong atheism share almost nothing in common is to do with the nature of the knowledge cliams involved. Weak atheism is a form of scepticism and is in some ways agnostic in that it hesitates to close the debate and say that atheism can be established as a fact. As god cannot be said to be a 'real' phenemeona it cannot be dis-proven. This is why Communism- as a form of materialism- is dis-owned by many atheists as a "dogma" because the nature of the knowledge cliam made by materialists is incompatable with many of the traditions of free thought and sceptism on which it is based. The extent of "lack of belief" is to a point where stating atheism as a knowledge cliam is considered "religious" because it is dogmatic. Weak atheism therefore often dis-owns strong atheism because it does not recognise the legitimacy of the knowledge cliam.

Strong atheism, particuarly materialism, asserts that God can be related to a real pheneomena; consciousness. By understanding consciousness we can establish whether god exists or not. As materialism says consciousness can only exist as the result of physical properties, god cannot therefore exist. As strong atheism is making a knowledge cliam about objective reality, it has a burden of proof (unlike weak atheism). To the best of my knowledge, a materialist/strong atheist would have to solve the Hard problem of consciousness to demonstrate that their cliam is true. "lack of belief" in god does not ential materialism, but the most common way to argue God cannot exist is by materialism.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I know a great many atheists that believe they have a soul.

I also know many that believe in spirits and things similar to demons.
My point was that belief in souls, spirits and demons includes only a small minority of atheists. I'll stick with that assertion.
The only requirement you must meet to be an atheist is to not have a God belief.
Agreed.

So, simply because atheists do not believe in any God, they cannot believe in spirits, souls, and the like?
I agree they could but I was saying only a small minority of atheists do.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The answer is simple; There is no connection between atheism and materialism - people just tend to equate them because they believe materialism can be more easily challenged.

Sadly usually along the lines of: "Well! Materialism can not explain (fill in blank), therefore it is a failure!"

Kapalika

Premium Member
I find materialism to always be a funny position as it then necessitates that mathematics and numbers don't really exist or are actual objects.

Some people like to say that math describes what's going on, but it seems to me that there is nothing within physicalness itself to dictate how it works.

I tried to word this clearly, but the only way I can really have it be percise is to contrast it with my own view;

Math is part of a set of unchanging principles... an extension of logic. This logic and math is the underlying nature of reality and from it physical constants, laws ect form which dictate how physical things interact. The laws, logic and math itself is abstract although the material things that follow these rules and carry forces that are also dictated by these rules are physical.

I'd also argue that forces in themselves lay somewhere between abstract and physical, just that physical objects carry them. But I wouldn't subscribe supernaturalism to them. Rather I would say they are somehow entwined into the nature of reality itself.

To me if you take out that abstract nature of laws and mathematics you complicate how to integrate it into materialism and for me honestly just trying to conceptualize laws/math as somehow being physical yet present within all of space-time just confuses me. I suppose it could be so but I don't see how math could have mass, as it seem to be entirely non-localized. So really I just can't find any support for the idea that *only* the material exists. You can argue against spirits and stuff existing because those are considered localized and so would have mass. but something like logic, math ect are abstract rules and so are not localized and can't be physical.

So again I guess it depends on how "real" math is, but it seems to me that if math is just describing how things work what makes things work that way still is it's own thing. People say "the properties of the matter determine that" but what determines the properties? Eventually you can get around to "because it can't be any other way" but the reason it can't be any other way for it to have those properties in those conditions and states itself requires some kind of reason as to why, and even just determining why it can't be any other way would itself require deductive logic. It seems to me that when you really get into it there is going to be some kind of abstract "cause" as to why things the way they are.

But perhaps "reason" is a better word than "cause" as cause implies an effect, where as a reason can just mean the explanation of something that always has been.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
For example, I believe the consciousness that created the material is real but not composed of matter.
Of course, it is real in that it is a concept, but you were using 'real' in relation to things, artefacts were you not?
Consciousness does not exist as a thing, it is conceptual not material.

Sorry if I confused you, I know that concepts exists (like consciousness) but are not material.
But you were referring to non-material THINGS, entities weren't you? What does it mean to be real, as an entity - but not material?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Of course, it is real in that it is a concept, but you were using 'real' in relation to things, artefacts were you not?
Consciousness does not exist as a thing, it is conceptual not material.

Sorry if I confused you, I know that concepts exists (like consciousness) but are not material.
But you were referring to non-material THINGS, entities weren't you? What does it mean to be real, as an entity - but not material?
You are not getting my position. Consciousness/Brahman is not just a concept in my beliefs. It exists.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You are not getting my position. Consciousness/Brahman is not just a concept in my beliefs. It exists.
Sure, I agree that consciousness exists.

I don't know what you mean by 'not just a concept', but rather than persue that - what I am asking is about entities.

What do you mean by 'real' in relation to non-material entities (not abstracts/concepts, but entities)? Beings?